PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for peoples advice/opinions

Jefferson
07-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Hi recently I was given some large bits of wood (ash and some off cuts of a walnut worktop)

I though I'd use them for a couple of projects and decided to make a few chopping boards.

I was wondering what people think to them.
12785 ash just after cutting the shape, don't have any full finished pictures unfortunately. I used a router to round off/chamfer all the edges, sanded and oil (all oil was food grade) until smooth to touch.

12786 walnut. One just chopped square and sanded until smooth with nice straight sharp edges. Other put an edge around both sides using a rabbet bit in the router

I have made a few others that are different shapes but don't currently have any pictures.

I have a chance of getting some more hard wood (not free this time) and was wondering what peoples opinion on pricing them if I was going to sell them. They would be a similar size to the ones in the pic (which are around 40-50cm long) if I was to say £15 to £30 for a solid hardwood chopping board depending on size, shape, type and amount of work. Would you say it is reasonable? Or would people rather get a £10 special from the supermarket?

here are some more photos (some are not finished) 127871278812789
Cheers Dave :D

Chubbs
07-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Dave

Personally, I think your prices are very reasonable indeed.

There is no reason at all why anybody should complain about it. Its solid hardwood and the time and effort put into pieces deserves a decent price.

Good luck mate.

Thumbcrusher
07-01-2015, 07:38 PM
More than a fair price i'd say mate! Good work on those!:happy-clapping:

bikebum1975
08-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Not sure the conversion to dollars but seen a few pieces in that range on some euro sites seems very reasonable. Lovely work to

saxonaxe
10-01-2015, 07:52 PM
I've just seen this, from what I saw at a local wood Fare back in September, I would say your price range for hand made hardwood boards is very reasonable. A bargain in fact.T^

Jefferson
10-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all those that have replied :) looks like it's a goer!
A few more ash and some beach ones will be my next test. Il post some more pics once I have done.

The first ones I made have all gone (2 for myself, 1 for the mother, 1 for the in-laws and one as a house warming present for a friend) they all seemed to love them so hopefully other people will too :)

Thanks again for your opinions :)

Cheers Dave