PDA

View Full Version : log cabin

mark
28-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I have the room and the materials i think to construct a semi permement dwelling in the woods. has any one ever built or atempted to build any thing like that.:confused2:

Sproutmuncher
01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
You may have already seen this, but theres some great footage of Dick Proenneke building his log cabin in alaska....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

bigzee
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Carrying out and completing this project must be the most satisfying feeling ever. Nestbuilding of the highest order!

GlenM
03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I have the room and the materials i think to construct a semi permement dwelling in the woods. has any one ever built or atempted to build any thing like that.:confused2:

Hey Mark, check these guy's out at Woodenways
http://www.woodenways.com/site/html/home.html

Iv'e been thinking about doing the course myself, it's a week long and it's £500 but you will need your own tools. It's a lot of money so you have to ask yourself if you will use your new skills to warrant the cost.

Or in my case.....how to explain to wifey that it is indeed totally practical and will add to her overall enjoyment in life!

Glen

GlenM
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM

Hey Mark, check these guy's out at Woodenways
http://www.woodenways.com/site/html/home.html

Iv'e been thinking about doing the course myself, it's a week long and it's £500 but you will need your own tools. It's a lot of money so you have to ask yourself if you will use your new skills to warrant the cost.

Or in my case.....how to explain to wifey that it is indeed totally practical and will add to her overall enjoyment in life!

Glen

Woodwose
04-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I did a weeks roundwood timber frame course about 3-4 years ago in the woods up in the badlands of the Scottish borders.
The bloke who taught us had his own company making timber frame houses. I remember that it rained every day and I mean RAINED. I also remember the blisters and pain in my hand and arm from using those axes every day.
We used green ash logs that we bark peeled with a wood tool called a spud. We centered up the logs with a chalk line then used many different tools for cutting, chopping and drilling the wood. Broad axe, side axes, adze, augers etc where all used. The large slick tool had to be my favourite tool
We learned how to cut mortice/tenon joints using big wood chisels/corner chisels. How to scallop the ends of the logs so they
fitted together beautifully.
Everything went great until the last day, when one of the logs slipped off one of the saw horses and landed on a blokes foot. His foot swelled up like a pudding, by the end of the day he could hardly walk. From then on we roped up any logs that we where joining together.
To be honest a weeks course hardly touched on the subject, but it was a great week even though the weather was very wet.