PDA

View Full Version : AMK emergency bivvies?

bigzee
28-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience or accounts of the 2 bivvy type products made by Adventure Medical Kits.

They claim to reflect about 90% of body heat back, and although not exactly comfy looking I wondered if they would be a realistic alternative to lugging a sleeping bag if "light bagging", when used with a mat and clothing in warmer months. They roll up to nowt and have mass comparable to a housefly, as well as not requiring too many beer tokens to obtain. All opinions highly valued from you as always.

Andy

Martin
28-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I've got one of the AMK Emergency Bivis. I've spent many nights out in one of the old fashioned survival bags and the enemy is condensation. I woke up too many mornings with a soaking wet sleeping bag. However, for a single night under the stars during the warmer months, it may do a decent job of keeping off the dew and any rain showers you may encounter.

Martin

bigzee
28-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Yeah good point Martin! - warm air does tend to condense dunnit? Perhaps it's more for the unplanned alive but wet scenario, rather than the planned alive, dry and comfy one eh?

cheers for that.

Martin
28-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I think that's the idea. Not to say don't try it though. A damp night in the summer would be a good trial and I keep one in my rucksack for emergencies anyway. They are wonderfully light compared to the polythene alternative.

Martin

bigzee
28-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Sounds like the best plan. Those old orange poly bags were a bit cumbersome, although they could be made to partially pull their weight as a rucksack waterproof liner.