PDA

View Full Version : Home made Hobo hand line

Aij29
29-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi Guys

Just thought i would share with you my Hobo hand line that i made this morning,

I`ve seen a number of guides on how to make a Hobo hand line but they all require me to spend money (which i`m not good at!!!)

Also i`m a firm believer in making/restoring things myself,

The main body for the hand line is an 8" piece of 22mm cold water pipe that my dad found thrown in a hedge (he found about 8ft in total)

I`ve used 2 bicycle handle bar end plugs to blank off the ends of the tube,
One has a hole in the middle through which i`ve run an old shoelace with a spring-lock to act as a lanyard the other is just used to blank off the end (I`m on the lookout for a removable plug of some kind so i can stash spare hooks/lures etc inside the tube)

I`ve then used a spare handlebar grip to use as a handle (a bonus to working in a bike shop)

Finally i`ve drilled a small hole in the body of the hand line through which i`ve threaded the end of the line and tied a stainless washer on the end just to stop a ll the line coming off,

Excuse the red tape its holding the line in place till i get an old road bike inner tube to make in to Ranger bands,

So i`ve got a nice hand line for my ruck sack that has cost me nothing:happy-clapping:

I`ve named it the Hobo Hunter 22 (as that was the name written on the side of the pipe and i though it was quite apt)

Hope you like it

Thanks
Adrian

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr61/KernowKrawler/HoboHunter22_zps632eb20c.jpg (http://s470.photobucket.com/user/KernowKrawler/media/HoboHunter22_zps632eb20c.jpg.html)

Sylvanbilly
29-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Great work Adrian I too am like you, I'd rather make it out of bits and bobs then go out and pay, it's fun to make your own stuff in the man cave,
Well done!

OakAshandThorn
29-09-2014, 04:57 PM
T^ I like it..especially the grip :).
Unfortunately for most of us in the US, hand-lines are considered illegal, unless you were to attach the contraption to a rod. So much for 'portable fishing kit'... :(

Aij29
29-09-2014, 06:59 PM
T^ I like it..especially the grip :).
Unfortunately for most of us in the US, hand-lines are considered illegal, unless you were to attach the contraption to a rod. So much for 'portable fishing kit'... :(

Hi
They are illegal on all inland waterways and lakes in the Uk as well,
But I'm very lucky and live right next to the sea where hand lines are
Legal

Thanks
Adrian

Pootle
30-09-2014, 02:31 PM
That's pretty cool,
Its a shame they're illegal on inland waters; presumably because the stealthy nature of them is associated with poaching?
Whereas the sea and its contents are not considered to be privately owned.

David_JAFO
02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
hello,
I bought these Garden Dibbers from Wilkinson's. I used a couple for a bow drill fire lighting set & during the good spell of weather we organised a group & went Hobo fishing as part of a day out on the river Fly fishing as in lure & not on the fly.. :wink: (depends on how you look at it?) we did have rod permits BTW. Anyway.. the Dibbers make great hand lines & take a fair amount of line wound around within the indent, wound in a figure of 8, we were using braided line, leader, & hooks to nylon trotting our bait down the river as well as a cork as a float. After some success catch & release of Rainbow Trout, we decided to arrange another days Hobo fishing using similar. Now the Hobo lines 'Dibbers' have been sanded given a light coat of veg oil, one or two were painted decoratively, along with the corks to preserve both the wood & the corks luminous painted are now part of our Hobo fishing lines kit. The plus point they can be hand held & wound in with relative ease or staked into the ground with the pointed end, BTW they do hold in place when set as a night line from the river bank, tried & tested :wink:.
Regards
David
Regards
David

Ranger
11-01-2015, 12:17 PM
hello,
I bought these Garden Dibbers from Wilkinson's. I used a couple for a bow drill fire lighting set & during the good spell of weather we organised a group & went Hobo fishing as part of a day out on the river Fly fishing as in lure & not on the fly.. :wink: (depends on how you look at it?) we did have rod permits BTW. Anyway.. the Dibbers make great hand lines & take a fair amount of line wound around within the indent, wound in a figure of 8, we were using braided line, leader, & hooks to nylon trotting our bait down the river as well as a cork as a float. After some success catch & release of Rainbow Trout, we decided to arrange another days Hobo fishing using similar. Now the Hobo lines 'Dibbers' have been sanded given a light coat of veg oil, one or two were painted decoratively, along with the corks to preserve both the wood & the corks luminous painted are now part of our Hobo fishing lines kit. The plus point they can be hand held & wound in with relative ease or staked into the ground with the pointed end, BTW they do hold in place when set as a night line from the river bank, tried & tested :wink:.
Regards
David
Regards
David

What do you do to create the indent to wrap your line around? I would presume carving and sanding...

David_JAFO
11-01-2015, 12:44 PM
hello,
Sorry Ranger I just noted this post :o The dibber indent comes ready with both & holds a fair amount of fishing line, wound around in a figure of 8. I think Wilco/Wilkinson still have these in stock. BTW I do understand the use of such on waterways is regarded as poaching/illegal. I've been lucky enough as each waterway I've used I have spoken to the Bailiffs of my intentions teaching survival skills/bushcraft incl' catch & release if I'm successful. Mostly used on *Burns (Scottish streams) & stretches of river(s) not monitored by Bailiffs on the rivers Clyde/Avon/Calder/Almond.
Regards
David

Ranger
11-01-2015, 01:42 PM
hello,
Sorry Ranger I just noted this post :o The dibber indent comes ready with both & holds a fair amount of fishing line, wound around in a figure of 8. I think Wilco/Wilkinson still have these in stock. BTW I do understand the use of such on waterways is regarded as poaching/illegal. I've been lucky enough as each waterway I've used I have spoken to the Bailiffs of my intentions teaching survival skills/bushcraft incl' catch & release if I'm successful. Mostly used on *Burns (Scottish streams) & stretches of river(s) not monitored by Bailiffs on the rivers Clyde/Avon/Calder/Almond.
Regards
David
Haha I am in the middle of Florida, so I am not worrying about illegal fishing, I just go behind my house on a lake. But that's awesome!

David_JAFO
28-01-2015, 12:59 PM
hello,
Ranger A image of the garden dibber minus cord or fishing line to give you an idea of the size of indent for fishing line.
Regards
David

Ranger
29-01-2015, 02:53 AM
Good job on the custom hand line, looks nice!

David_JAFO
29-01-2015, 08:23 AM
hello,
Thanks Ranger (check your PM's).
Regards
David

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 08:28 PM
I think the full poaching thing, at least in the UK, needs addressed (But it won't be). It's a very negative word, and has been established as such since way back.

In a true survival situation everything seems to get overlooked. By fear of looking like a ****, that may cause some degree of uprising by any chance?

It seems, to me anyway, that anything once regarded as the sport of kings/gentlemen etc. is ok. By the land owner(????)'s permission, who is also subsidised as part of the elite club and only by those who can/could afford to pay, or more importantly, who would be considered welcome in such company.

I kind of think it looks more the other other way round. Rather than anything that relates to poaching being illegal, it is anything that isn't considered the self appointed gentleman's sport (old, and absurd, definition of gentle_man of course) but rather the true honest maintaining a way of living without subsidising those in power, at varying levels, became tagged poaching.

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 08:43 PM
So there was this guy, nameless of course. He was out on the Scottish hills, he lifted his shotgun, he took fire and "Bang"!!! He downed a Golden Eagle. That very second a policeman walks past, locks him in handcuffs and drags him by the scruff of his neck down to London.

The Old Bailly judge asks if he knows the golden eagle is a protected species and offers him a chance to explain himself...

He says, "Your Honer. I do know that. But I never shot the eagle. I was shooting pigeons. I got one right in my view and pulled the trigger. At that very second the eagle swooped down to snatch the pigeon and Bang!!! It bit the bullet."

The judge pondered and said, " Well, that's unavoidable I suppose, the odds are against it but what can you do? Before I let you go, can you tell me one thing... What does Golden Eagle taste like?

He sais, "Well your honour, I know what your thinking. But no, It tastes exactly like swan.".

Magicdave
29-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Also, notice how this:

I kind of think it looks more the other other way round. Rather than anything that relates to poaching being illegal, it is anything that isn't considered the self appointed gentleman's sport (old, and absurd, definition of gentle_man of course) but rather the true honest maintaining a way of living without subsidising those in power, at varying levels, became tagged poaching.

Only relates to protein.