PDA

View Full Version : Condensation when using a tarp

stu1969
19-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi all. This is my first post on here but I've read loads of the information on here and it's obvious that I've got a lot to learn!

I have a question about the amount of condensation I get on the inside of my tarp at night. I don't remember reading about it in any of the posts that I have seen so I assume that I am doing something wrong with the way I am using it. Can anybody offer any advice please?
Regards
Stuart

Valantine
19-08-2014, 05:25 PM
The only time I've had that problem was in warm weather when there was moisture on the outside of the tarp, if that's the same problem as yours there is no way to prevent it, just angle the tarp enough to allow run off.

Silverback
19-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Firstly....Welcome

Second...what type of tarp and how do you set it up ?

Whistle
19-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I have a question about the amount of condensation I get on the inside of my tarp at night. I don't remember reading about it in any of the posts that I have seen so I assume that I am doing something wrong with the way I am using it. Can anybody offer any advice please?
Regards
Stuart

Hi stu ... just how a r e you using it ?!?!

The only way I can imagine condensation being much of a problem in a tarp

would be if you are using a very flat pitch and have it tight to the ground ...

Could be you have cut off all your ventilation and with a very flat pitch

you are not allowing any condensation to drain away ...

Try raising the roof to get a steeper apex and keep at least two ends or sides

off the ground to allow some air to circulate / blow through ....

The only condensation I have ever noticed under my tarp is in my bivvi bag !!!

even though it is Gortex I still stew in my own juices if I get too hot !!! LOL

Ha ha ha !!!

Cheers Whistle

rik_uk3
19-08-2014, 05:59 PM
You won't get the same problem with a cotton or polycotton tarp but you may loose waterproof quality to a degree. As others have said use a steeper pitch angle and maybe a bigger tarp.

jus_young
19-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the community.

As with any shelter, condensation can be an issue unless adequate through ventilation is maintained. The thing with tarps, like others have already said, is that the pitch may have to be tweeked to allow the moisture to run away. Tents of course are designed to minimise condensation issues with good ventilation and have material inner nests that absorb a degree of damp air that will dry out during the day.

When setting up an enclosed shelter make sure that some air can flow under the tarp edges, and if you are using an open style setup also remember that dew will form on the underside of the tarp during the night so keep a good slope to direct it away.

stu1969
19-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Thank you all for your replies, there seems to be a common theme ie not pitched steep enough. I don't know what the set up I have tried is called, I have a pole at each end which makes an A shape.
By the way the tarp I have is from Decathlon.

TarHeelBrit
20-08-2014, 01:15 AM
I only had a problem once. And I though I was doing the right thing. :) the pitch was way too low and I (stupidly) thought blocking up the bottom of the tarp with dirt, leave etc would keep the draught out. Oh it did and also kept the condensation in. Oh well we all make mistakes. ;)