PDA

View Full Version : how to make woodsmans tea?

bushcraft.mcf
21-02-2011, 02:55 PM
hii there i am wondering how to make woodsmans tea? and what tree to colect the sap from? thanks.:campfire:

Bambii
21-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Woodsman tea is made with birch sap. I don't know how to make it though, sorry.

Here is Ray Mear's making some sort of tea with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5a34lTVAWs

bushcraft.mcf
21-02-2011, 03:44 PM
thanks my friend :D

Ashley Cawley
21-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Great find with that video Edd ;)

bushcraft.mcf - you don't have to use a sap to make a woodsman's tea, you can just use pine-needles to give it a woodsy-twist.

I have used Birch-sap and pine-needles to make tea before, which was nice, you have to collect birch-sap at the right time (around the second week in March), there is an article on the NaturalBushcraft website about collecting birch-sap (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/wild-food/tapping-the-birch-tree-for-sap-in-march-collecting-birch-sap-a-clean-sugar-rich-water.html).

MikeWilkinson
22-02-2011, 09:28 PM
My favourite 'Woodsman tea' uses birch twigs, willow bark and birch sap. Just make it like any other infusion. Pine needle tea is another nice brew too.
The great thing about birch and willow tea is that they contain an antiseptic and a pain killer, great for sore throats and headaches.

The Big Lebowski
23-02-2011, 11:30 AM
That sounds interesting Mike... Never heard of birch twigs, willow bark for pain relief but not tea. I'll give that one a go!

Tried pine needle (scots) over the winter and i thought it was quite plesant. I prefered it steeped overnight tbh and am looking forward to trying it (and yours) again as soon as the sap rises in this area. I think we are still a few weeks away though locally, compared to other parts of the country where people are noticing it rising.

Regards, al.

Ashley Cawley
23-02-2011, 01:06 PM
The inner bark of Willow was where they first found the compound to make Aspirin out of, nowadays the compound is synthesized.

I've not using Birch twigs in a drink, might have to look into that.

Mang
23-02-2011, 04:53 PM
My favourite tea is steeped Rosehip (minus the seeds) and a little honey.:happy-clapping:

MikeWilkinson
23-02-2011, 09:50 PM
You know me Ash, If I can get birch into it - I will do. Actually birch has loads of edible uses, I've even heard of birch flour.

bigzee
27-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi mate,
you need to find the "thea sinensis" shrub. Make an infusion in boiling water from the dried leaves. However you may stuggle to find this plant in Britain (Scotland especially)
Best of luck.

Ashley Cawley
27-02-2011, 06:31 PM
My favourite tea is steeped Rosehip (minus the seeds) and a little honey.:happy-clapping:

Ooo, not tried that one! - Looking forward to trying it now :) Thanks.

Mang
27-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Ooo, not tried that one! - Looking forward to trying it now :) Thanks.

You'll love it...just got a bit of a wait for Autumn! I've made it for the Cubs and not so long ago the mum of a long since departed Cub said to me that he often mentions the Rosehip tea I did which is nice.