PDA

View Full Version : Help to find some photos of a step on snare trap

greenhout
05-08-2014, 02:22 PM
I finally have found time to have a go at the above trap. I clicked on my shortcut to find the website is no more. The link is 'survival traps #3 - Step on snare trap - Bushcraftliving.com Discussion Forum'.

Does anyone have access to the images from this or maybe a similar trap? It was a tension triggered affair but obviously I am looking for the details.

midas
05-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Set them a fist high,n noose about a fist wide,hold in position with a tealer stick.Set them on runs,never at at rabbit hole!
remember if you set any snares or traps!they must be checked daily,preferable twice a day.Don'forget to anchor them well.with a peg!
PS Welcome to the forum,would be a good idea if you went to the Introduce yourself section.n introduce yourself telling us a little about yourself etc.ATB Mike!

ian c
05-08-2014, 09:23 PM
There are many ways of setting a snare and they vary as to what you plan on catching from rats, rabbits to squirrels, there are some good books with diagrams on different traps (trappers bible) I have books with traps in them but it does take some practice to learn them and set them in the right place, if you can get to a meet there might be someone there who will show you how to set a snare, I set snares and fenn traps I also snare squirrels where and when needed, I was lucky that I was taught by a old poacher at a early age how to make and set them.
As midas has said any trap or snare set must be checked at least once a day and if you can twice is even better.

FishyFolk
05-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Snaring is something I always wanted to do. Unfortunately it has become almost impossible i Norway, as it is more or less banned. Only a few municipalities managed to keep snaring for ptarmigan legal, but Harstad is not one of those. So if I want some, I have to shoot them. Snaring all other sorts of game is illegal.

My grandfather on my mothers side was only a boy when WW2 started, and he used to snare for ptarmigan, and sell them to the village school teacher he told me once. To bad he passed before I had become adult enough in my head to ask him to teach me...to busy farting around in other bits of the world... :-(

midas
06-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Just been on GOOGLE typed in "How to make step in traps and snares" n a whole stack of pictures n pages came up.!!!
So suggest you go there!!!!

Capsos
10-08-2014, 05:03 PM
This is one that a friend made when I was helping them. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/neqybypy.jpg

greenhout
10-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Looks interesting. I can't see how the trigger works. I assume the twine is attached to a sprung tree?

midas
10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Looks interesting. I can't see how the trigger works. I assume the twine is attached to a sprung tree?
By the look of it the trip stick is under the hook stick driven into ground on right hand side,holding it in tension!.which is
held in place by stick driven into ground on right hand side.

Capsos
11-08-2014, 06:10 AM
Spot on Midas

Capsos
11-08-2014, 06:30 AM
I've tried looking for the style I use but I can't seem to find it in photo or video format. So I've now done it in rubbish drawing format. Lol here you go I hope it's legible http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/11/a5e2ega5.jpg

midas
11-08-2014, 09:25 AM
10/10...you've got it!Capsos..Don't know what your aiming to "catch".always found birds the easist,with just a "hand full of berrys.or what ever their feeding on.
method 1.dunces hat,works great on pheasants.make some small cones,(out of leaves)put berry in point of cone place around feeding spot ie under berry bush.bird gets cap on stuck on head.n like a hooded falcon,calm!one would have to be close to grab bird,as they can be dislodged.method 2.take a length of fishing line,or inside of paracord.thread berries onto it, spaced,fix to tree,bird ingests thread n berries n is anchored to the tree.Method 3.Assuming youve got your toothbrush with you?though other things can be used.Take berry place a bristle thro berry so it protrude either side,scatter on ground.greedy bird gets berry stuck in throat.and is easily caught.
THESE METHODS ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY.Be aware of laws and widlife acts,that are in force.