PDA

View Full Version : An Old Favourite - Nuclear Attack

comanighttrain
18-02-2011, 02:55 PM
It's happening,

A minor squabble between Nato and Russia ended abruptly when Russia used a nuclear torpedo to sink an american naval group. The US retaliates by destroying and a Russian Airbase.

You have about two days before a strategic exchange begins.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c4/Square_leg.gif/431px-Square_leg.gif

What do you do?

Martin
18-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, looks like St Austell gets away with it so don't think I need to be too worried. And, those down in Camborne would never notice if a bomb was dropped on the place. :)

Martin

comanighttrain
18-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Martin you probably have a 4 star bomb shelter :P

Bambii
18-02-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm screwed if that happens :O

I'll come down and sit in Martin's shelter!

comanighttrain
18-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm screwed if that happens :O

I'll come down and sit in Martin's shelter!

see that really thick area of circles in scotland? I'm in that :( Glasgow is a high population/densite/value target, as is Faslane and the nearby army facilities....

Fletching
18-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Well, in Londinium, we wouldn't know what h

resnikov
18-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Don't go any where, the fallout will kill you anyway. Morbid I know but its fact.

Edwin
18-02-2011, 05:39 PM
If you can say "What was that?" you're lucky for the moment.

Used to know about radioactive decay and all that. Believe you need shelter above protective factor (PF) of 40 and to stay there for a fortnight at least then you have twenty minutes at a time outside to fill in your Lotto entry and stuff like that. Don't eat or drink and limit breathing and you'll be fine.

A yacht with a closed, sealable cabin out at sea or on a large lake would actually be very good protection if you had a sort of mast mounted shower system to flush off fallout.

A middle flat up a tower block well below the roof would work providing no balcony and wall and window ledges are flush and there has been no blast/flash damage.

comanighttrain
18-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Crap, I guess my plan of digging a hole in the side of a mountain and hanging out in there for as long as possible wouldnt work? The MOD NBC suits are cheap...was gonna get some of those

Tony1948
18-02-2011, 08:18 PM
I'd go over my favourite wood with my family have a brew and when we see the flash put you'r heab between you'r legs and kiss you'r ass good bye...........GOOD LUCK............DONT GET EATON BY THE BEARS.

Tony1948
18-02-2011, 08:20 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................head.................... ...............

jus_young
18-02-2011, 08:20 PM
As usual nobody thinks Ilfracombe exists so I haven't got to worry too much.

bigstan
18-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Looks like North Cornwall has no strategic value which is odd considering the GCHQ site near Bude.

comanighttrain
18-02-2011, 09:54 PM
That map is pretty old...80s 90s i think

It'd suck if there was a nuclear war...i'd be the only forumer left drinking tea out of a baked beans tin in my little makeshift bunker:'(

Degsy
19-02-2011, 06:35 PM
too many rings around around Liverpool but we are the centre of the Universe

fish
19-02-2011, 10:21 PM
to be honest 99% of the indusrial targets were destroyed by the last 2 governments,theres no Sheffield steel works and the docks are all gone,and all the circles in the midlands will only be killing our resident enemies anyhow. i know of 2 old ROC shelters near me that are still usable,and one fallout shelter within 30 minutes travel,but the question is would i want to survive it? one part of me thinks it would be a bit mad max scenario,but in reality it would be more 'when the wind blows' dieing in a squalid XXXX covered room of radiation sickness ,thankfull that all the sods that caused it are safe and sound in their bunker at corsham and rudloe manor just up the road from me.

Aaron Rushton
20-02-2011, 12:09 PM
just the sort of jolly threads that spring up on NB forums all the time :D

Humakt
07-04-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd think about where they were most likely to drop the first bomb and then head for there.
After all, who'd want to survive a nuclear war?

klause
07-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Where i live, someone would probibly nick it and weigh it in for scrap before it went off, so we'll be OK !

Silverback
07-04-2011, 11:36 PM
just put your head between your knees and kiss your ar*e goodbye

comanighttrain
08-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I'd think about where they were most likely to drop the first bomb and then head for there.
After all, who'd want to survive a nuclear war?

you'd rather be dead? I'd rather live. Think about it...atleast if your alive you can still chug.

robin
12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Surviving the initial blasts outside of the circled areas would appear to be fairly easy, presuming you have a few weeks supply of food and water stored. The months and years following would be the testing time, when all the animals, crops and water supplies have been contaminated.

For those who may be interested in nuclear survival you should read the Nuclear War Survival Skills (http://www.homelandcivildefense.org/nwss/nwss.pdf) book. I personally found the chapters on nuclear radiation and how it can affect us and shelter building particularly interesting.

Jeime_outdoors
12-04-2011, 12:43 PM
well most of the highlands look alright, so i would head to the nearist forest infested area and put my bushcraft skills into practise :D

Jeime

Metal mug
17-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Why did they nuke Lands end? Didn't the Russians like the Westcountry shopping village? :confused:

David_JAFO
28-11-2012, 08:44 PM
hello,
I've been reading through some of these older posts of interest.
'Hard Rock' 'Square Leg' Exercises I took part in these. Strathclyde Region
(as was) didn't participate as then it's claim was a 'Nuclear Free Zone' &
there were no casualties :confused2:
All it would have taken was one non nuclear warhead fired directly into
RN Faslane (peace camp :happy-clapping:) & let the West Coast weather do the
remainder.
After 1990 there was an exchange of Soviet Union Military with NATO (UK)
I met a few of these guy's, they were brain washed, you mention the map of
Glasgow circled targets, when they saw the place it was way off the mark to what
they were told, if they knew what the truth was they would have thought twice about
directing their nukes at Glasgow their words.
BTW they loved our C-Rations I'm sure they were gifted with a crate for the journey home.
I've got a few photo's on file from the Cold War era including the 10 Ton Tel Cruise
Transporters in action & when they came to the UK Greenham Common (bit of nostalgia) :wink:
Regards
David

see that really thick area of circles in scotland?
I'm in that :( Glasgow is a high population/densite/value target, as is Faslane and the nearby
army facilities....

comanighttrain
28-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I met a few of these guy's, they were brain washed, you mention the map of
Glasgow circled targets

Hey up,

You mean they wouldn't have bothered hitting it?

David_JAFO
30-11-2012, 06:47 AM
hello,
The way these guy's were talking (Brain Washed) I don't know about
second thoughts, but when given orders to do something when it comes
to a scenario like so, doing your duty comes first, in their case for the
'Mother Country' I doubt they would have openly questioned the orders anyway.
Remember this is in uncertain times 'Cold War' they're just oridinary Joe Crows
the same as any other Countries Armed Forces doing their duty.
Regards
David

Hey up,
You mean they wouldn't have bothered hitting it?

David_JAFO
30-11-2012, 06:56 AM
hello,
Image taken on Exercise in the UK using 'inert' Cruise Missiles
before being deployed to a secret location.
I've got a few images of these taken with the support Coy 'posing'
memories of 'Cold War' service :wink:
Regards
David

Silverback
30-11-2012, 10:02 AM
attachment doesnt work david

David_JAFO
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
hello,
Maybe this time :confused2:
Regards
David
Ps. Phew it did work. Image I copied from my photo album
for a mate way back 2008 (I think it was?) during an exercise 1984?
deploying these 10 Ton Tels. RAF Regt 'posing' with US Support Units deployed
for protection. Tels armed with 'dummy' rounds.
Tel under cover in plantation.

David_JAFO
08-12-2012, 01:10 PM
hello,
A virtual link to the inside of a ROC Post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbbFd2a_SXY
Regards
David

FishyFolk
08-12-2012, 01:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2UpM8Ci_ao

David_JAFO
08-12-2012, 02:24 PM
hello,
T^
Regards
David

Tommy
03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
A small nuclear war, say between Pakistan and India would destroy civilization as we know it. So you folks in the UK and everyone else will be F#@*K just like the Indians and Pakistanis.

A big nuclear war, say between Russia and the US and the human race will almost certainly become extinct within a few years.

It's called nuclear winter and if you can't any grow food for ten years that is one hell of a diet. And it gets worst, nuclear winter could be fallowed by nuclear summer. I'm sure the rats and cockroaches will do just fine though.

Link to Wikipedia article on nuclear winter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter

Fun fact for you preppers; the average surface temperature of earth will be cooler than at the time of the last big ice age when half of North America and almost all of the UK was cover by an sheet of ice up to 3000m thick.

You preppers won't need a whole lot of bullets as there won't be many people left to fight with, but you will need one huge pile of beans.

freedom
03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Well the only emergency item I would open is bottle of JD and sit back to get a sun tan. Lets face it, its with worrying about

saxonaxe
03-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I just hope if someone's going to drop a nuclear bomb they give plenty of warning, as I need to unplug the solar panel connected to the batteries on my boat. A big bright flash could easily boil my batteries...and they're expensive to replace.:D :D

Silverback
03-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I just hope if someone's going to drop a nuclear bomb they give plenty of warning, as I need to unplug the solar panel connected to the batteries on my boat. A big bright flash could easily boil my batteries...and they're expensive to replace.:D :D

It was 4 minutes when we were glaring at each other across the Berlin Wall

Tommy
03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
It was 4 minutes when we were glaring at each other across the Berlin Wall
During the 1960's I and the other children did “duck and cover” drills in school. We were told the Russian missiles would take less than 25 minutes to hit our city (Winnipeg).

Silverback
03-05-2013, 10:04 PM
During the 1960's I and the other children did “duck and cover” drills in school. We were told the Russian missiles would take less than 25 minutes to hit our city (Winnipeg).

It was 4 minutes to the UK....we used to have drills here too, well air raid warning siren tests right into the wall coming down.....by glaring I was making reference to the cold war

saxonaxe
03-05-2013, 10:13 PM
I've got very vague memories of a badge or label that you were supposed to pin on. If it changed colour it meant you were cooked and radio active!!...and they wouldn't let you into any bunker/shelter :shocked:

Silverback
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
this was shown on UK TV in 1984.....kind of brought it home to us...particularly as its set in Yorkshire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MCbTvoNrAg

nilo52
04-05-2013, 02:44 PM
In California schools you got a dog tag with your name ETC. so they could ID your body. At the time we ALL thought it was COOL. Dad had an underground shelter made, and I used it to loose my virginity! Who says the cold war was bad ??:rock-on:

(Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't cause nuke winter, so in a limited exchange the preppers are good to go)

Tommy
04-05-2013, 04:21 PM
(Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't cause nuke winter, so in a limited exchange the preppers are good to go)
:rolleye:

You are equating two small nukes to several hundred larger ones. You are so dumb!

Silverback
04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't cause nuke winter, so in a limited exchange the preppers are good to go

Thats because they were the equivalent of todays battlefield tactical nukes...the kind of thing they use to take out an airfield - small by todays standards. Watch the link I posted a limited nuke exchange between US/USSR during the cold war would be circa 3000 megatons, as Tommy says...but thousands of times larger

OakAshandThorn
04-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Just goes to show you that the biggest threat to humankind and the world Herself is ourselves, and we've ignored Her warnings year after year. We should've never tinkered with nuclear power - leave that to the sun.

nilo52
04-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Tommy ,

Actually , I was thinking of a limited exchange between Pakistan and India. neither has the technology to build a hydrogen device as of this post. Nor the ability to deliver the much larger warheads , their stockpiles are probably less than 20 each. This detonation , in all likelihood , would not be enough to trigger a nuke winter. When I said "LIMITED" I was envisioning that only. Of COURSE a larger amount of nukes would cause a nuke winter. I should have been more specific, my bad.

nilo52
04-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Tommy ,

Actually , I was thinking of a limited exchange between Pakistan and India. neither has the technology to build a hydrogen device as of this post. Nor the ability to deliver the much larger warheads , their stockpiles are probably less than 20 each. This detonation , in all likelihood , would not be enough to trigger a nuke winter. When I said "LIMITED" I was envisioning that only. Of COURSE a larger amount of nukes would cause a nuke winter. I should have been more specific, my bad.

snowleopard
05-05-2013, 08:10 AM
So comforting for someone living in bournemouth!:)

Joel

Silverback
05-05-2013, 09:54 AM
So comforting for someone living in bournemouth!:)

Joel

depending on wind direction of course.....dont think your old enough to remember this but the radioactive fall out from the Chernobyl meltdown landed in the Lake District

saxonaxe
05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
" the radioactive fall out from the Chernobyl meltdown landed in the Lake District "

It think it caused a problem with sheep grazing up that way didn't it Sapper? Or at least some concern about possible effects up that way.

Silverback
05-05-2013, 04:56 PM
" the radioactive fall out from the Chernobyl meltdown landed in the Lake District "

It think it caused a problem with sheep grazing up that way didn't it Sapper? Or at least some concern about possible effects up that way.

I believe it did yes...

saxonaxe
05-05-2013, 05:09 PM
My son lives in the North-West, I remember him talking about it. Just had a dig round and came up with this old newspaper article..http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/may/12/farmers-restricted-chernobyl-disaster.
Trouble with Nuclear stuff is the problems are not over, even if you survive the bang..:(

rawfish111
05-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Wow, just watched the whole of Threads what a blast (no pun intended) from the past. I have a distant memory of, as a kid, camming up my parents outside loo with bracken as a kid when the news was full of cold war doom and gloom....... these days I just do it for the crack :ashamed:

HarryLFH
05-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Well at least we will still be able to fish.

I dont know if you watched river monster. But one episode is about fishing in Chernobyl.... I was rather surprised by the variety of fish swimming there even if they were radioactive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4paJKW3oFjY

Silverback
05-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Wow, just watched the whole of Threads what a blast (no pun intended) from the past. I have a distant memory of, as a kid, camming up my parents outside loo with bracken as a kid when the news was full of cold war doom and gloom....... these days I just do it for the crack :ashamed:

:happy-clapping:

OakAshandThorn
05-05-2013, 10:20 PM
My son lives in the North-West, I remember him talking about it. Just had a dig round and came up with this old newspaper article..http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/may/12/farmers-restricted-chernobyl-disaster.
Trouble with Nuclear stuff is the problems are not over, even if you survive the bang..:(
Not to mention the waste it produces...

HarryLFH
05-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Well I was reading an article quite recently of someone explaining the numbers of death from nuclear.

He was saying, based on numbers, in order to equalize the numbers of deaths caused by ONLY BY NUCLEAR POWER with Deaths caused by Mining and Burns of Hydrocarbons, there must be a "Chernobyl" EVERY THREE WEEKS...

snowleopard
06-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Well I was reading an article quite recently of someone explaining the numbers of death from nuclear.

He was saying, based on numbers, in order to equalize the numbers of deaths caused by ONLY BY NUCLEAR POWER with Deaths caused by Mining and Burns of Hydrocarbons, there must be a "Chernobyl" EVERY THREE WEEKS...

Wow! Guess I won't burn any hydrocarbons again:)!

Joel

Tommy
07-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Actually , I was thinking of a limited exchange between Pakistan and India.
I don't even know what you mean by that.

In the Wikipedia article that I posted a link to, a minor nuclear war is defined as the following (with the accompanying climatic effects);

“A minor nuclear war with each country using 50 Hiroshima-sized atom bombs as air-bursts on urban areas could produce climate change unprecedented in recorded human history.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter#Recent_modeling

I will continue to use the above definition.

neither has the technology to build a hydrogen device as of this post.
Although this is “probably” true of Pakistan, India tested a thermonuclear (H-bomb) back in 1998.
http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/india/nuke/index.html

It is safe to assume that India has by now built a small arsenal of deliverable H-bombs. India's biggest rival China, has 48 ballistic missiles armed with warheads in the 3.3 mt to 5 mt range. China has about a 150 smaller nukes in the 200-300 kt range.
http://bos.sagepub.com/content/67/6/81.full.pdf+html

As a comparison; the Hiroshima bomb was only 16 kt and the total tonnage dropped by all combats in WW2 was in the vicinity of 3 mt (that's not a typo, it's 3 mt).

Nor the ability to deliver the much larger warheads ,
India has Aircraft, ballistic missiles and cruise missiles cable of delivering nuclear weapons (including thermonuclear). India has developed an ICBM, India's first ballistic missile submarine has passed its sea trials and is schedule to be equipped with a new SLBM this year. And it is reasonable to believe that India has MIRV technology or will soon have it.
http://bos.sagepub.com/content/68/4/96.full.pdf+html

their stockpiles are probably less than 20 each.
Pakistan: 90 -110 (estimate)
India: 80 – 100 (estimate)

http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/nukes/nuclearweapons/nukestatus.html

David_JAFO
14-07-2013, 09:49 AM
hello,
Yes I remember the BBC showing as a night to the Anniversary of Hiroshima. Some Civil Defence PIFs (public information films) from the 1960's, The War Game, Hiroshima, Threads,The Day After, When The Wind Blows all followed by a discussion on Nuclear War. Chernobyl, Scotland received fallout along the Central belt & the Isle of Arran (Strathclyde Region at the time) this was monitored 'unofficially' testing PDRM82 Radiac Survey Meters around Strathclyde Region at the time (Labour run Council) denied such & said the PDRM82's were faulty?? well how could a number of these spread across the Region used by Civil Defence/Military/Emergency Services be at fault at the same time measuring different readings of Radiation? wait for it they included Strathclyde Region was a Nuclear Free Zone! Nuclear Free Zone with RN Faslane nuclear sub base on it's door step? I think it was Strathclyde University Glasgow that received fall out as their chemical labs, their radiation alarm went off, they thought there was a spill in the labs or a leak somewhere, that was just before or after the Chernobyl incident was released to the media. I've got all these films plus a few more from the archives in storage including later released BBC docs 'Hiroshima'. Remember the joke at the time, 'Why did the Russian soldier wear NBC underwear? Incase of Yer Knob will Fall Out..' :oops:
Regards
David

Midge_Fodder
03-03-2014, 02:09 AM
Yep the auction marts round here have only recently stopped using a Geiger counter on the sheep since chernobyl. I work on the principle if faslane, or selafield goes up it will blow esd Eastriggs and chapel cross sky high so I'm getting cremated in the blast anyway.

David_JAFO
03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
hello,
All that has to happen 'fact' Faslane goes up & the West Coast weather does the rest :wink:
Regards
David

Yep the auction marts round here have only recently stopped using a Geiger counter on the sheep since chernobyl. I work on the principle if faslane, or selafield goes up it will blow esd Eastriggs and chapel cross sky high so I'm getting cremated in the blast anyway.

Midge_Fodder
03-03-2014, 05:36 PM
To be honest the west coast is littered with so many military installations anyone on the west coast is toast anyway.