PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Whoopie Slings and TW Hornet

Stevie B
22-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the nice weather.
Has anyone used a TW Hornet with whoopie slings?

My mate and I are left scratching our heads with this one.
We can't get a decent hang with the slings as it tightens up the centre sleeping base of the hammock and instead of being enveloped in your cosy hammock you are instead lying exposed to the elements with only meshing around you. In essence it lifts your lying position.
We've tried a few different rigs but to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this and or worked out a solution?

Many Thanks,
Stevie

FishyFolk
22-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I use whoopie slings with mine, and have no problem with it. are you sure you are not tightening the hammock to much? The angle of the suspenion is supposed to be around 30 degrees. It's not supposed to be very tight.

I have the TW XL Bivi Hornet.

ADz
22-06-2014, 02:25 PM
As mentioned it sounds like you're simply hanging it at incorrect angle.

Did you take any pics of your setup? It would help in diagnosing the issue more accurately?

Stevie B
22-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi guys and thanks.
Both of us tried with a few set-ups, sadly didn't take any photos but quite certain it was around 30 degrees.
Perhaps Rune your XL is different by virtue of it's size and shape?

FishyFolk
22-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Hi guys and thanks.
Both of us tried with a few set-ups, sadly didn't take any photos but quite certain it was around 30 degrees.
Perhaps Rune your XL is different by virtue of it's size and shape?

Could be. I get a very flat, and comfortable lay in mine. I could probably sleep on my tumy if I wanted to. I am a side sleeper...

Stevie B
22-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Rune, do you have a photo of how you set your XL up with the whoopies?
If so it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

aman
22-06-2014, 04:51 PM
I am no expert but I slept in a TW Hornet with whoopie slings last night and it was perfect.

aman

FishyFolk
22-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Rune, do you have a photo of how you set your XL up with the whoopies?
If so it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nope, but I have made a few videoes where I am using it. Maybe you can get some clues from those?

Here is my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9FgRZL78CerC9y9ql6HAug

Chubbs
22-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Never had a problem using my TW Hornet with Whoopie Slings, its the one Aman used last night. I can only think the same reasons others have said previously. I use the slings with the Marlin Spike Hitch and tie the tree straps around head height. Once set up I usually sit in it for a few seconds, let it take the strain of my svelt torso and then tighten it a little more.

It might be worth finding out if there are any forum members in your area that could give you a hand.