PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried an Exped Airpillow??

Martin
15-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I was looking at these today and they seem quite good although £25 for an inflatable pillow seems like a lot of money. :(

So, is it either 'The Emperors New Clothes' or 'The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread'?

Martin

Fletching
15-02-2011, 08:41 PM
What's wrong with a stuffsack full of yer dirty skegs?...oh, hang on...Poshcr.... :)

Martin
15-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Precisely Steve!! However, it does have good reviews and is very lightweight. The stuff sack thing is good but can be a bit lumpy, and let's face it, a good night's sleep is worth it's weight in gold, even though it doesn't weigh anything. :ashamed:

Martin

JEEP
15-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I'll be getting one with my Exped Lite300 around april, I'll tell you then :p

I saw the pillow when a salesman, from the Danish supplier of Exped products, came by the shop. It looks really good actually.

Generally Exped is awesome stuff! I have the Exped SynMat Pump 7, it is the best piece of sleeping gear I have ever had.

I currently have the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core pillow - it keeps on slipping out from under my head when I am sleeping, waking me up.

Martin
15-02-2011, 08:57 PM
...I currently have the Cocoon Ultralight Air-Core pillow - it keeps on slipping out from under my head when I am sleeping, waking me up.

I saw a great solution to that problem today. Simply, you put the pillow and the end of your inflatable mat inside a spare teeshirt and sleep on that. The teeshirt keeps everything together and stops the problem of your pillow falling off your mat. Simples :)

Martin

JEEP
15-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I have tried that, the underside of the pillow is very smooth, making it slide around inside the shirt.

For me the lesson has been; a good inflatable pillow is not actually pillow shaped, it needs to be somewhat ergonomic with a supression in the middle - and with some kind of anti skid coating on the underside.

Martin
15-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I have tried that, the underside og the pillow is very smooth, making it slide around inside the shirt. For me the lesson has been; a good inflatable pillow is not actually pillow shaped, it needs to be somewhat ergonomic with a supression in the middle.

Just like the Exped Airpillow then? :( I feel I'm already £25 lighter in the pocket.

Martin

JEEP
15-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Like the Exped, yes.

I actually tried laying down with the sample the seller brought. It stays put nicely and provides ample support for neck and head.

Martin
15-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Pah!!! You're not making this any easier. :ashamed: I was hoping someone would say, 'I've got one and they're not worth the money'. :(

Martin

JEEP
15-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Sorry Martin, I am a professional enabler :D

Fletching
15-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Pah!!! You're not making this any easier. :ashamed: I was hoping someone would say, 'I've got one and they're not worth the money'. :(

Martin

You made him a Moderator. You KNEW he was in the business. You were enabling yourself! ;)

I've got one and they're not worth the money. I recommend a stuffsack full of dirty skegs. I can lend you one for a test comparison?

Martin
15-02-2011, 10:18 PM
You made him a Moderator. You KNEW he was in the business. You were enabling yourself! ;)

I've got one and they're not worth the money. I recommend a stuffsack full of dirty skegs. I can lend you one for a test comparison?

PMSL!!! I don't have the power to make anyone a moderator, that was clearly Ashley's perverted little mind at work. He knew Jakob was in the trade and that he was bound to display all manner of shiny baubles to attract me. Oh, and I know you don't have one but I am tempted by your dirty skegs. :ashamed:

Martin

Fletching
15-02-2011, 10:23 PM
OK, we'll do the exchange on Clapham Common, but keep it quiet.

Martin
15-02-2011, 10:45 PM
OK, we'll do the exchange on Clapham Common, but keep it quiet.

Who do you think I am? Ron Davies?? ;) (Oops, more xenophobia? Actually his Welshness is not a contributing factor.)

Martin

jbrown14
16-02-2011, 02:31 AM
While I can't say I fall into the "poshcrafter" category like Martin, I do like to sleep comfortably. I've been using a Slumberjack Camp Pillow (http://www.amazon.com/Slumberjack-Slumberloft-Pillow-Color-Regular/dp/B0009J1FKG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/183-5294626-1226333)since it was given to me some years ago. It's softer than a stuff-sack with even my softest fleece, and packs down to about the size of a litre bottle. And that's my two pennies worth for the night...back to working on the car. ugh.

Josh

JEEP
16-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Shiny baubles? Yeah, that's my business - that and irresistible items, tempting trinkets and alluring accessories :evilgrin:

Martin
16-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Bugger!! My resolve finally weakened as I sat at my desk first thing this morning.

Martin

paul standley
16-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Pillows - don't start me off on that one...!

As the not so proud owner of several 'stupid' inflatable pillows that resemble flexible concreate, I'd be very interested in your review Martin when you receive yours.

I know you'll buy one, I recognise all of the traits, your only prolonging it so you feel you've done the due diligence bit...!

Paul.

Martin
16-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Paul, funny you should say that, I do have an inflatable pillow and it is really uncomfortable which is why I felt uncomfortable about ordering a £25 example. However, as you already guessed, I ordered one this morning and hope it will be with me before the weekend so I can try it out. I'll let you all know how I get on. A good night's sleep could qualify it as the best bit of kit I own. ;)

Martin

Martin
16-02-2011, 04:53 PM
... irresistible items, tempting trinkets and alluring accessories :evilgrin:

An admirable attempt at adept alliteration. ;)

Martin

JEEP
16-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks

How about a haiku:

Shiny object comes into view
Urge to obtain rising, resistance is futile
Out the credit card comes

Fletching
16-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks

How about a haiku:

Shiny object comes in view
Urge to obtain rising, resistance is futile
Up the credit card comes

...or even just a succinct lyric:

"Gimme, gimme, gimme, a pillow at midnight..."

Shewie
17-02-2011, 12:21 AM
I just used to use a pile of clothes in a tent but after a few years in a hammock it soon gets tiring. I got one of these Snugpak (http://www.foxsoutdoor.co.uk/sbags/accessories/snugpak-snuggy-pillow/) jobbies last year and it's great. I have it on a piece of shockcord attached to the inner of my hammock so it can't slide down my back.

Martin
17-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Well, it turned up today. Managed to give it a bit of a go on the living room floor and felt comfy enough there. Only time will tell whether it's money well spent.

Martin

ADz
28-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Well, it turned up today. Managed to give it a bit of a go on the living room floor and felt comfy enough there. Only time will tell whether it's money well spent.

Martin

Sorry for the Necro of an old thread but just wondering how you got on with this Martin, was it worth the coin? They are going for £21 on ebay at the moment with free delivery and they seem really good from what I have read. Currently have a small travel neck pillow but very tempted to get one of these to go with my new ME Xero 350 and my NeoAir :D

Martin
28-10-2012, 05:47 PM
ADz_1983, this is without doubt one of the best purchases I've made. The pillow is so comfortable, it goes pretty much everywhere with me. I wish I could say the same about the Neoair. I couldn't get on with that at all but now I've got a Thermarest Prolite IV along with the Exped pillow, I get a great night's sleep whenever I'm on the floor.

Get one, you won't regret it. :)

Martin

ADz
28-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Awesome, I'm sold :D

I previously had the Gelert X-Treme self inflating, Not sure about the Prolite but the Gelert didnt pack down very well in comparison and the main reason why I got the NeoAir was the pack size and review on comfort. I really wanted the Klymit Inertia Xlite but decided to grab the NeoAir while it was going cheap.

Gunna order the AirPillow now :)