PDA

View Full Version : The island with bear!

Davepr
27-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Any one watching it? Man it's a good watch but feel like giving a few them a good smack round the chops. Am not pro but so many things have drove me mad watching this. Its entertainment so I guess there has to be some of the bull.

Valantine
27-05-2014, 08:44 PM
If it involves Bear it is purely entertainment and yes I would love to smack them round the head with a heavy log :evilgrin:

Davepr
27-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Never loved bear to be honest am more of a Ed Stafford man, that man is just incredible. Can watch Staffords tvs shows for days.

ADz
27-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Any one watching it? Man it's a good watch but feel like giving a few them a good smack round the chops. Am not pro but so many things have drove me mad watching this. Its entertainment so I guess there has to be some of the bull.

It's all fake, scripted and misleading like all of his shows have been. The show has been exposed already just like his others were.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/island-fake-bear-grylls-show-3548495

jus_young
27-05-2014, 10:15 PM
It's all fake, scripted and misleading like all of his shows have been. The show has been exposed already just like his others were.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/island-fake-bear-grylls-show-3548495

And you actually believe something a tabloid publishes?!?

The papers can print whatever they think sells a story and I never even bother giving them a passing thought. The show is entertainment people and is not supposed to be anything else. It's a matter of choice on what you watch, I personally would rather shoot myself in the head than watch that trife they call Eastenders or Coronation Street. At least there is some entertainment value in the show even if it is to pick faults and be an armchair expert for a while.

Valantine
27-05-2014, 10:31 PM

The papers can print whatever they think sells a story and I never even bother giving them a passing thought. The show is entertainment people and is not supposed to be anything else. It's a matter of choice on what you watch, I personally would rather shoot myself in the head than watch that trife they call Eastenders or Coronation Street. At least there is some entertainment value in the show even if it is to pick faults and be an armchair expert for a while.

T^

laika
27-05-2014, 11:33 PM
My kids ( 6 & 9) are inspired by a lot of things like Flo's vice ( http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?8021-Making-a-Bone-Arrowhead&p=114418#post114418 ), Ed Stafford and Bear Grylls. Frankly, I'm just pleased when they're watching and taking cues from any of that rather than most of the stuff available to them. As for Bear Grylls, I really don't see the need for authenticity policing of a TV programme - by definition, it's TV - not reality - and if I need a reality check the last place I'll look is in the tabloids (or the broadsheets for that matter......

ADz
28-05-2014, 01:13 AM

Generally no, but yes if there are other sources that can back it up. For example it is widely known that the Man vs Wild series was full of very misleading and fake scenes. They even publicly admitted it and apologized, the series was axed and discovery channel heavily edited the fake scenes out etc.

Yes it's "entertainment" but that is irelevant to purposely misleading viewers.

Here is just one of the many examples..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

AJ
28-05-2014, 02:21 AM
I have a feeling of deja vu.

Humakt
28-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Personally I don't like reality TV so have avoided it.

Silverback
28-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Personally I don't like reality TV so have avoided it.

Snap.....I derive no pleasure from watching people ridicule and prostitute themselves, neither do I subscribe to TV's skewed view of the real world for 'entertainment'

Stamp
28-05-2014, 01:23 PM
I wonder how many people who don't watch the Island will be watching Big Brother? I know Bears programs are all a bit fake, out of context but I still like them, its entertainment on TV at the end of the day. Its not real and I moan about it, I'd still rather watch it than Big Brother though. :ashamed:

Silverback
28-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Now there's another perfect example of people prostituting themselves for 15 minutes if infamy.....never watched an episode or any of its spin offs, or these so called talent shows

Humakt
28-05-2014, 03:31 PM
I wonder how many people who don't watch the Island will be watching Big Brother?

What, generally, or just amongst the users of this forum?
If the former, then I imagine quite a few, judging by the viewing figures for both programmes (Big Brother draws a greater audience than The Island).
If you mean just amongst this forum then I would imagine very few - if someone here is not going to watch The Island then what makes you think they're likely to watch Big Brother?
I don't watch either.

Stamp
28-05-2014, 04:32 PM
The comment wan't aimed at anyone specific, my point was that, if people who don't watch the Island whether they watch other rubbish like BB? The TV seems to constantly have pointless tallent shows and reality shows, just curious as to if people watch them? I don't watch these other programs but I chose to watch the Island as its in my general interest, and yes I know its faked and I can live with it.
I wonder if any of Ed Staffords programs are fake? I've not seen anything that says they are but I bet there must be some elements that are set up?

Humakt
28-05-2014, 05:54 PM
The comment wan't aimed at anyone specific, my point was that, if people who don't watch the Island whether they watch other S**T like BB? The TV seems to constantly have pointless tallent shows and reality shows, just curious as to if people watch them? I don't watch these other programs but I chose to watch the Island as its in my general interest, and yes I know its faked and I can live with it.
I wonder if any of Ed Staffords programs are fake? I've not seen anything that says they are but I bet there must be some elements that are set up?

Right.
Well, I'd doubt many members on this forum watch those programmes you mention by their own choice (of course, if they watch them because a spouse wants to watch them is a different matter). Bushcrafters seem to me a very conservative bunch (note the small 'c', not being political) - as a generalisation I hasten to add - so I doubt they'd embrace such 'contemporary' viewing and phenomena. I stand to be corrected though. If there is a bunch of hard-core Celebrity Come Ice Dancing In The Jungle with Talent viewers on here then they should be proud and make themselves known!

AJ
28-05-2014, 06:56 PM
I think you're probably right. On some forums the smell of wet Tweed is almost overpowering, I keep expecting a signature like "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells". lol. Am I a hard core reality fan? No. I watch Strictly with my wife, as its basically a modern day variety programme (although there are cringeworthy bits (but that's British Variety!)), and I started to watch The Voice this year (another Beeb prog) and found it enjoyable for two reasons, there's no nastiness or humiliation in the programme and everyone is supportive of each other, and most of the contestants have good voices. That's three reasons. OK, there are three reasons why... lol..

Fraxinus
28-05-2014, 07:25 PM
All the time people keep watching rubbish we will continue to get rubbish programming foisted upon us.
I am in a similar camp as Sapper and Humakt and if I lived there I would definitely sign off as "disgusted of Tonbridge Wells" on many of the tv offerings.
Thankfully I don't watch the stuff that might entice me to vent my spleen.;)
Rob.

AJ
28-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Was that an attempt to correct my spelling or just a spell check error? :)

ian c
28-05-2014, 09:08 PM
I will admit that the Mrs and me watch Bear Grylls and SWMBO is good at spotting things like when he has a hair cut whilst in the forest miles from anywhere, but we watch it for the entertainment value.

laika
28-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Right.
Well, I'd doubt many members on this forum watch those programmes you mention by their own choice (of course, if they watch them because a spouse wants to watch them is a different matter). Bushcrafters seem to me a very conservative bunch (note the small 'c', not being political) - as a generalisation I hasten to add - so I doubt they'd embrace such 'contemporary' viewing and phenomena. I stand to be corrected though. If there is a bunch of hard-core Celebrity Come Ice Dancing In The Jungle with Talent viewers on here then they should be proud and make themselves known!

Not even a little bit conservative and don't see any reason why people who watch 'those programmes' shouldn't also love nature and appreciate the value of crafts. My grandfather was a master cabinetmaker whose marquetry work was exquisite, on the weekends he watched Bob Monkhouse and the Golden Shot and drank Watney's Red Barrel. I have two kids who frequently watch rubbish and are also passionate about the outdoors - their perfect day is a hard trek up a mountain (preferably Pyerenees but they'll settle for Pen y Fan), dinner over a fire and then watch Spongebob Squarepants on the mobile 'phone in their sleeping bags. My concern is that bushcraft (and the outdoors) should not be cast as the province of a particular type - this is precisely what the National Trust actively, albeit implicitly, does. Bushcraft is essentially the gift of knowledge transmitted across generations of working people from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures, most of whom were at home with the popular entertainment of their day. There is nothing incompatible with a love of bushcraft and consumption of popular culture - indeed, it is inherent within the roots of all crafts.

ADz
28-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Not even a little bit conservative and don't see any reason why people who watch 'those programmes' shouldn't also love nature and appreciate the value of crafts. My grandfather was a master cabinetmaker whose marquetry work was exquisite, on the weekends he watched Bob Monkhouse and the Golden Shot and drank Watney's Red Barrel. I have two kids who frequently watch rubbish and are also passionate about the outdoors - their perfect day is a hard trek up a mountain (preferably Pyerenees but they'll settle for Pen y Fan), dinner over a fire and then watch Spongebob Squarepants on the mobile 'phone in their sleeping bags. My concern is that bushcraft (and the outdoors) should not be cast as the province of a particular type - this is precisely what the National Trust actively, albeit implicitly, does. Bushcraft is essentially the gift of knowledge transmitted across generations of working people from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures, most of whom were at home with the popular entertainment of their day. There is nothing incompatible with a love of bushcraft and consumption of popular culture - indeed, it is inherent within the roots of all crafts.

Well said. Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge.

BG shows are still fake/misleading excrement though.

laika
28-05-2014, 11:29 PM

Fair enough, but my daughter still wants to marry him!

Silverback
29-05-2014, 12:09 AM

Fair enough, but my daughter still wants to marry him!

jus_young
29-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Well said. Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge.

Well there is a perfect example of a contradiction in terms.

Silverback
29-05-2014, 09:00 AM

I also laugh at you..........my camel is still in hysterics from another thread

ADz
29-05-2014, 01:30 PM

And please explain to me how that is a contradiction in terms??

I was in no way "quick to judge" or "stereotype" the BG show. I have watched and looked into it and done research to come to my conclusion.

So in actual fact its you who was quick to judge ;)

Humakt
29-05-2014, 02:41 PM
And please explain to me how that is a contradiction in terms??

I was in no way "quick to judge" or "stereotype" the BG show. I have watched and looked into it and done research to come to my conclusion.

So in actual fact its you who was quick to judge ;)

It was the line ' Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge' - maybe not of Bear, but of 'people'? ;)

ADz
30-05-2014, 12:55 PM
It was the line ' Too many people too quick to stereotype or judge' - maybe not of Bear, but of 'people'? ;)

Ah maybe :D

jus_young
31-05-2014, 12:07 AM
Been away all week on Scout camp and keep looking at these types of threads with annoyance. Well now I'm back and would like to express my continued annoyance in a particularly strong way but would be breaking the forum rules in doing so.
There seems to be this persistent 'anti Bear' thing that floats around on this forum, and I have voiced my displeasure before on a previous thread that basically had the same drivel in it. I can't for the life of me understand why the hell folks that dislike BG so much still feel compelled to watch his programmes just so that they can criticise them in exactly the same way that they have before. If such open and publicly visible opinions towards an individual were posted on other forums it would get you banned. To my knowledge this has never been suggested on here, and it is not my place to suggest or implement on NBC, and I do believe that folks have the right to their own opinions. Here is a suggestion though - stop watching the programmes and keep such strong opinions to yourselves. Even the venerable RM has had the decency to refer to BG in a more lenient manner in recent times without resorting to the pettiness of other so called experts.

Respect the man for what he has achieved and the work he does for the youth of today. And be honest, if you had the chance to do what he does, and earn the kind of money he gets for doing it, wouldn't you do the same? I would.

ADz
31-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Been away all week on Scout camp and keep looking at these types of threads with annoyance. Well now I'm back and would like to express my continued annoyance in a particularly strong way but would be breaking the forum rules in doing so.

Others have the right to express there opinions same as you have. This topic was created to discuss the show and that's what people are doing.

There seems to be this persistent 'anti Bear' thing that floats around on this forum, and I have voiced my displeasure before on a previous thread that basically had the same drivel in it.

Just because others have different opinions to you doesn't mean they're drivel. If people have a negative opinion of him/his shows then they have every right to express them same as the positive opinions are.

I can't for the life of me understand why the hell folks that dislike BG so much still feel compelled to watch his programmes just so that they can criticise them in exactly the same way that they have before.

Who said anything about been compelled? I for one have tried watching his shows but do not watch anymore.

If such open and publicly visible opinions towards an individual were posted on other forums it would get you banned.

Then those forums are run by nazi's and I find it hard to belive any respectable forum would ban a member for expressing opinions on a show that is completely on-topic for the forum the post is in.

To my knowledge this has never been suggested on here, and it is not my place to suggest or implement on NBC,

Why on earth would it?

and I do believe that folks have the right to their own opinions. Here is a suggestion though - stop watching the programmes and keep such strong opinions to yourselves.

What's the point of having a discussion on a topic if you cant express your opinions? Kind of makes forums pointless.

Even the venerable RM has had the decency to refer to BG in a more lenient manner in recent times without resorting to the pettiness of other so called experts.

Respect the man for what he has achieved and the work he does for the youth of today. And be honest, if you had the chance to do what he does, and earn the kind of money he gets for doing it, wouldn't you do the same? I would.

Tbh It's more the show(s) that are getting criticized really.

AJ
31-05-2014, 05:31 AM
Who said anything about been compelled? I for one have tried watching his shows but do not watch anymore.

So, in this thread specifically posted about a particular show, are you saying that you're expressing this volume of opinion about a show you haven't actually watched?

Big T
31-05-2014, 08:35 AM
There seems to be this persistent 'anti Bear' thing that floats around on this forum, and I have voiced my displeasure before on a previous thread that basically had the same drivel in it. I can't for the life of me understand why the hell folks that dislike BG so much still feel compelled to watch his programmes just so that they can criticise them in exactly the same way that they have before. If such open and publicly visible opinions towards an individual were posted on other forums it would get you banned. To my knowledge this has never been suggested on here, and it is not my place to suggest or implement on NBC, and I do believe that folks have the right to their own opinions. Here is a suggestion though - stop watching the programmes and keep such strong opinions to yourselves. Even the venerable RM has had the decency to refer to BG in a more lenient manner in recent times without resorting to the pettiness of other so called experts.

Well said that man!

jus_young
31-05-2014, 09:36 AM
However Adz, your posts go beyond the criticism of the show. Do you not read your own posts? And I would also like to express my disappointment in how you refer to other very good and well respected forums, quite possibly ones of which you may be a member of.

Silverback
31-05-2014, 10:02 AM
Said it before and I'll say it again....Its the production companies that tell the 'star' what they want. Some stars won't do that and leave, or are engineered out of the programme to be replaced by ones that will.

The public 'volunteering' for the shows are the ones I refer to as prostituting themselves - because I don't like this kind of reality TV I don't watch them end of.

What we don't see is beyond the public face of the stars as Jus says Bear does some really good work with youth, Mr M is a passionate conservationist (which we are discovering now),DC is a passionate historian........

And finally Adz......I suggest you are slightly more careful with the use of the Nazi word, some people on this and other forums may find it deeply offensive

AJ
31-05-2014, 11:16 AM
..I suggest you are slightly more careful with the use of the Nazi word, some people on this and other forums may find it deeply offensive

Made me feel a little uneasy when used about what is basically an inconsequential topic. I should have had the nous to express my feelings at the time.

midas
31-05-2014, 11:50 AM
And finally Adz......I suggest you are slightly more careful with the use of the Nazi word, some people on this and other forums may find it deeply offensive

Thought we fought the "nazis",for the right to freedom,and freedom of speach???

Silverback
31-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Thought we fought the "nazis",for the right to freedom,and freedom of speach???

Your point being ? Unhappy with the censorship and forum ettiquette Mike ?

midas
31-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Your point being ? Unhappy with the censorship and forum ettiquette Mike ?

That isnt what i said!I made a statement!No need to attempt to twist ,alter,or imply anything else Wayne,
Though there may appear to be some disagrement in the posts!Which! Each to his own.
And now there are two "N" words.lol!

Silverback
31-05-2014, 01:11 PM
No Mike you're quite right. You didn't imply anything which is why I had to ask you the question in the first place.

When you think about it the Nazis were a particularly evil bunch of people and its easy to see how someone could find it easy to be offended by the comment.

Now can we all just take a breath and chill out ?

suggy
31-05-2014, 08:34 PM

So adze is back in northern soul then eh? Pah!

Silverback
31-05-2014, 09:34 PM

What's that got to do with this thread ?

That's right nothing.....

midas
31-05-2014, 09:53 PM
No Mike you're quite right. You didn't imply anything which is why I had to ask you the question in the first place.

When you think about it the Nazis were a particularly evil bunch of people and its easy to see how someone could find it easy to be offended by the comment.

Though nothing to do with this post.lets not forget,as D-Day Aproaches.All who gave so much,that we could be doing what were doing etc.atb.mike

jus_young
31-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Ok gents, correct me if I am wrong but I believe this thread is about a current TV series and it may be wise to get it back on topic. Valid viewpoints on the contestants, methods used, what you would do different etc. are all invited but personal opinions on the presenter and his other shows are best kept to yourself thanks.

Anything deemed inappropriate or off topic is just going to get erased. Any further comments about free speech, the right to an opinion or references to superior races or dictatorships will really annoy me and you may well end up keeping Adz company.

rawfish111
31-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Personally I like the show. I treat it as entertainment and the idiot volunteers as a target for derision between the politicians.

The Mrs likes it too as she gets to laugh at me pulling out what's left of my hair.

...And my opinion of Mussollini....... ;p

MikeWilkinson
31-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Right let's get this back on track. I managed to watch about ten mins of the first episode and then realised that I would only end up shouting at the TV. Not because of Bear, kinda like the bloke as a TV personality and for his other off screen works. But most of these type of shows with amateur survivalist tend to wind me up due to the lack of common sense. The rare exception being man hunter which I really enjoy due to the added pressure of being stalked.

MikeWilkinson
31-05-2014, 11:04 PM

A little off topic and insensitive at this time don't ya think?

rawfish111
31-05-2014, 11:06 PM
.... then realised that I would only end up shouting at the TV. .

Part of the appeal in MHO mate... or should I say that is the appeal

Like the old 'Driving School' and 'worst ...(insert idiot)...' about the only tv I watch anymore....bloody repeats.....bloody licence fee..... guess i'm getting old 'n' grumpy :wink:

jus_young
31-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Right let's get this back on track. I managed to watch about ten mins of the first episode and then realised that I would only end up shouting at the TV. Not because of Bear, kinda like the bloke as a TV personality and for his other off screen works. But most of these type of shows with amateur survivalist tend to wind me up due to the lack of common sense. The rare exception being man hunter which I really enjoy due to the added pressure of being stalked.

I can relate to that. From what I gather they only had a days training before being left but common sense is generally lacking. It's something that always used to bug me when I worked in a College, teens coming in from school these days seem to have the same problem.

MikeWilkinson
31-05-2014, 11:18 PM
I can relate to that. From what I gather they only had a days training before being left but common sense is generally lacking. It's something that always used to bug me when I worked in a College, teens coming in from school these days seem to have the same problem.

Yup. Common sense, ironically not that common and the reason why there is so much H&S legislation in my very humble opinion. Hopefully if anything this type of show highlights that fact to those involved. Would be nice to know how they progress and if they learn from their mistakes.

Jester.
09-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Its back, who watched the guys island last night?

Tonight at 9pm shows the girls island.

Hopefully this episode doesn't take 2 people wearing glasses to realise they can start a fire with their glasses quicker than trying to do a friction fire for the 1st time ever.

Silkhi
09-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Put my foot through my goggle box in a celebrity/reality TV related rage years ago. UK television ceased being entertaining 99% of the time decades ago so I was a little bit late. Have an HD projector and love it ^^ In control & watch what I want when I want.

Bear Gryll's has never featured but there's worse eejits out there than him...

ian c
09-04-2015, 10:25 PM
I have got the series on record and will watch it later.

Magicdave
01-08-2015, 11:48 PM
I eventually just got round to watching this, and apologies if I'm repeating anything as I did start to read the thread through but time is quite precious at the moment so could not read it all.

As a magician this issue is the same old, same old. David who and who is doing this, and David who and who is doing something else etc. etc. But, I bet their shit (off camera) in real life etc. etc. But the gods honest truth is that they are not.

I did study TV production and have done lots of freelance work in post production, a very small amount in pre production and a reasonable amount in production.

Please forget everything that you may assume about TV personalities who are portrayed as experts in any field. It's all just the business that is show business. If they, any of them, never knew their stuff they would not be on TV. Bottom Line.

As a general assumption you can probably (not always) assume that the the guys who decided to choose the stars of any show are fantastic at their job and the guys they choose are also a million times more knowledgeable about the given subject than you or me (obviously not always the case).

But...................

Never, ever.

Judge someone like Ray Mears, or Bear Grills by what you see on TV.

Just as you should never ever judge Dot Cotton or...., actually that's the only soap opera character I know....., by how the script writer portrays her, or how the editor changes the story up from the rushes (original footage) once the script writer would never recognised the original story they wrote.

YouTube is currently different, the talent are editing themselves. But beware, that will change and you are not going to notice.

David.

jus_young
02-08-2015, 12:27 PM

Never, ever.

Judge someone like Ray Mears, or Bear Grills by what you see on TV.

Just as you should never ever judge Dot Cotton or...., actually that's the only soap opera character I know....., by how the script writer portrays her, or how the editor changes the story up from the rushes (original footage) once the script writer would never recognised the original story they wrote.

YouTube is currently different, the talent are editing themselves. But beware, that will change and you are not going to notice.

David.

I like that statement and it reflects a view that I have stated myself when the anti crew start showing themselves.

delboy
29-03-2016, 11:46 AM
The new series started last night. I only caught it as I just finished watching Guy Martin and his wall of death.
The new series has birds and blokes on the island together, although dropped off at different points so neither group know the other is there.
Besides the normal teddy`s out the prams after they landed it seemed the same old nonsense as before.
The biggest shock for me was the doctor in the birds group finding a water source in what looked like a still muddy pool, it tasted of salt and smelt and tasted of eggs, yet she pronounced it fit to drink. They boiled it and had some, almost immediately they were gagging and soon after several fell ill.
Unfortunately the doctor didn`t seem to pinpoint the cause to the water which was nowhere near potable, instead she told the group to drink more to get rid of the sickness.
It`s a bit worrying that the person is probably a junior doctor in the nhs and yet cannot identify what is potable and what is stagnant water, a basic human requirement.
I consoled myself with the fact that when the junior doctors of the nhs next go on strike, they are probably saving lives by not being available to make diagnosis.

David_JAFO
29-03-2016, 06:22 PM
hello,
I was watching the urban Bushcrafters "Steptoe & Son" & "Steptoe & Son..Ride Again" :p
Regards
David

JayLake
09-05-2017, 03:32 PM
The recent season is pretty decent. I love the idea of the old vs the young. It just shows you the difference in attitude

crazydave
16-05-2017, 03:49 AM
The recent season is pretty decent. I love the idea of the old vs the young. It just shows you the difference in attitude

they all have me shouting at the telly - they are supposed to have done a two week course yet have no grasp of any basics.

I blame the C4 thing years ago where all they did was sunbathe for a month. Bushcraft island or something like that produced by andy peters - who used to work with ed the duck IIRC

the adverts for participants need a disclaimer that anyone with any knowledge need not apply.