PDA

View Full Version : Foragers Walking Staff

LoneWalker
27-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to make a walking staff with a nice straight piece of Hazel by attaching something to hook blackberry, elder and hazel on those walks through the woods. I need to fix the hook part of the stick after shaping it.

Dowel rod and glue or a fixing similar to that shown in the photo below?

Cheers

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/27/emady3y7.jpg

luresalive
27-05-2014, 01:52 PM
I use threaded rod, 6 or 8 mm

Blood
27-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Nice idea!! I had one moons ago with some nice carved wood spirits on it and I sold it at Carboot for a fair price.... Got the cogs turning to make another few me finks.

Whistle
27-05-2014, 05:05 PM
How about a nice deep V scarph joint ... or you could make a star shaped one ...

lot of work , but looks really smart in two types of wood ...

Cheers Whistle

SteveW
27-05-2014, 07:55 PM
I made one a few years ago by cutting the shorter bit at an angle I liked and binding it in place with sisal string and then liberally coating it in thinned pva glue. Now I just look for a shaft that has a smaller fork growing near the base.

LoneWalker
27-05-2014, 08:16 PM
How about a nice deep V scarph joint ... or you could make a star shaped one ...

lot of work , but looks really smart in two types of wood ...

Cheers Whistle

Thanks Whistle. My woodworking skills are not up to much but I will research this and may have a go.

LoneWalker
27-05-2014, 08:20 PM
I made one a few years ago by cutting the shorter bit at an angle I liked and binding it in place with sisal string and then liberally coating it in thinned pva glue. Now I just look for a shaft that has a smaller fork growing near the base.

Thanks Steve. I have been thinking about carrying out the binding option. Ideally I was looking for a length like you suggest but could not find one, so went with a nice straight bit that is been conditioning for just over 6 months and has stiffened up.