PDA

View Full Version : nettle cordage with bowdrill

wildish64
10-04-2014, 04:03 PM
a friend of mine said i should share this video on the forum as some of you may find it interesting....so here it is.
its my first attempt at using some nettle cordage i had made in a bowdrill which was a challenge i had set myself.

http://slightlywildish.tk/bowdrill-using-nettle-cordage/

Jon D
12-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Appears to hold up really well.

Chubbs
13-04-2014, 12:37 AM
:happy-clapping:T^

Well done that man.

Right from the start I was muttering "don't snap, don't snap "!!", as you increased the speed of the bow. Well done, that's a life saving skill you made look easy. Another tip I picked up from you was how to tension the bow by sticking you finger on it. I didn't know that, cheers.

wildish64
13-04-2014, 10:13 AM
i managed to get 4 coals from it before it snapped so was really pleased.

lol i was thinking the same when i was doing it chubbs :D
thats a handy tip if you've been using it for a while as the cordage begins to stretch even with paracord and it saves having to re-tie it each time to keep the tension.

Valantine
13-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Excellent, well done :happy-clapping:

Fraxinus
13-04-2014, 05:13 PM
As I sat here watching the video my other half said "Why are you watching another one of those fire videos?"
My answer that you were using nettle cordage raised an eyebrow so I started to explain that nettle cordage is often thought of as being too weak for the bow drill when she asked "How do you make string from nettles" ....
So I found your other videos. So much easier than trying to explain and very well done.

Two T^ T^ from me for the vids they are superb and a last word from herself.....Quote " That's brilliant, you find bl**dy nettles everywhere!"

Rob.

wildish64
13-04-2014, 10:32 PM
thank you valentine.

As I sat here watching the video my other half said "Why are you watching another one of those fire videos?"
My answer that you were using nettle cordage raised an eyebrow so I started to explain that nettle cordage is often thought of as being too weak for the bow drill when she asked "How do you make string from nettles" ....
So I found your other videos. So much easier than trying to explain and very well done.

Two T^ T^ from me for the vids they are superb and a last word from herself.....Quote " That's brilliant, you find bl**dy nettles everywhere!"

Rob.

thank you so much Fraxinus, your message has me grinning like a cheshire cat :D

maybe it may the first steps in getting 'herself' involved, starts with a bit of string then who knows...basket weaving next? (something on my list to teach myself)

Bernie
14-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Ruddy office firewall won't let me access YouTube. :(

ammo
14-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Well done. I've tried a few times with lime cordage, but never with success. I'll try this. Thanks for posting.

Nature Boy 51
28-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Well done that man. First time I have seen anyone try using nettle cordage.T^