PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Hiking Kit On A Budget?

simonc
27-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Guys, I could do with a little assistance. I have some great kit to cover nearly all eventualities as far as bushcraft is concerned, but most of it is military surplus and it does add up to a fair amount of weight. (In other words its bloody heavy). Which has not been much of a problem as the places I go bushcrafting are only a 15-20 minute walk. But I would like to do some longer hikes of two to three days at a time, so my kit is far to heavy.:ashamed:
Can any of you guys advise me on what lightweight kit I would be able to purchase on a very limited budget.

Also at 54 I'm not as fit as many of you and at 5foot 5inches short I'm not the tallest either. The main problem with being short is your bum rubs out your footprints in the snow:D
Sorry about that guys thought I would take the micky before someone else did:evilgrin:
All suggestions welcome.
Thanks Guys
Simon

Ehecatl
27-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi Simon. I recall from the dim and (not so) distant past that there is a thread about lightweight bushcraft somewhere on NBC (I remember watching a you tube post about a chap in the US who got his kit weight right down). If you search youtube you'll get plenty of hits on the subject.

Good luck.

M@

Ehecatl
27-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Crikey - I found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX-erGPyejU

Hi Simon. I recall from the dim and (not so) distant past that there is a thread about lightweight bushcraft somewhere on NBC (I remember watching a you tube post about a chap in the US who got his kit weight right down). If you search youtube you'll get plenty of hits on the subject.

Good luck.

M@

simonc
27-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks Ehecatl, really interesting vid definately gave some food for thought.
I could also do with info on kit available in UK at budget prices and possibly where to buy them.
Thanks again Buddy
Atb Simon

Paul De Fitter
27-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Cor, good vid T^
Did you look at his "dinky stuff" vids, some great ideas there.

TheOutdoorist
27-03-2014, 09:24 PM
My lightweight kit consists of:

Berghaus Munro rucksack
4 season foam Multimat or Self inflating mat
Alpkit Rig 7 Tarp with cordage and tent pegs
Alpkit Hunka Bivy
Sleeping bag depending on weather
MSR Titan Kettle
500ml clip lock tub with cosy
2ltr Platypus water bottle
Evernew burner and trivet
Alpkit Spork
Basic first aid kit
Petzl Zipka headlight
Lighter and/or firesteel and Meths

Main thing is to leave unnecessary things at home. I could ditch a little more weight and plan to in time but this kit weighs little and is a good setup for me

tent peg
30-03-2014, 07:38 AM
my advice would be to break it down into sections: sleeping, cooking, clothing etc.

If you start with cooking, what are you currently using? Once we know that we can start shedding weight!

simonc
31-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi Tent peg
as far as my cook kit goes its ok, its a small light weight home made kit so no probs there.

SLEEP KIT:

Czech Army Bedroll
or
British Arctic sleeping bag
or
British 58 pattern sleeping bag

All of these are really good but ridiculously big and heavy.

SHELTER:

3x3 Tenth Wonder Tarp and Hammock

Dutch Army Hooped Bivi

Polish Army Lavvu

Ranging from Mmm! pass-able to nearly back breaking:rolleyes:

Clothing again is not to bad as I will only be hiking in the summer and what I have got isn't really that heavy. It's mainly the sleeping and shelter that seems to be really bulky and heavy, but all the small and light weight sleep and shelter kit seems to be ridiculously expensive and I need to work on a really tight budget as I can't work because I have to look after my disabled wife (not a lot of money coming in)
Hope this all makes sense and I look forward to your helpfull sugestions. Thank you Simon

tent peg
31-03-2014, 12:00 PM
ok sleeping on a budget, for hiking low level... I would look at the Gelert solo tent, and combine that with the Gellert xtreme lite sleeping bag. should be just over 2.5kg for both, pack down to nothing and cost less than £50 if you shop round.

simonc
31-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Thanks Tent peg, I'll have a look round I appreciate your help. Do you think ebay would be the best place as far as prices go?

rik_uk3
31-03-2014, 05:08 PM
This fella Ross is a nice bloke and its well worth reading through his blog

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.co.uk/

alvino78
31-03-2014, 05:13 PM
suppose other than weights related to food and water, it will come down to area,season and luxuries. if your going for a few days are you gonna be passing re supply points and are you going to find water and treat it?
johnnyboy on here has kit down to a tee in my opinion, have alook at that i will try find linky!
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?7851-Trimming-gear-down&p=112237#post112237

tent peg
31-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks Tent peg, I'll have a look round I appreciate your help. Do you think ebay would be the best place as far as prices go?

not always, sports direct has quite a bit of gelert gear. there are better brands, but not at that price point!

Valantine
31-03-2014, 06:57 PM
My sleep kit is now reduced to the following :-
Tenth Wonder tarp'
DD hammock
Czech Army Bedroll with a cheap Tesco 2 season bag (I've had this bag a few years now and only been cold in it once) and a foam sleep mat - which means as the weather warms I can remove layers as necessary.
The bedroll is the best thing I ever bought in my opinion, it's so multi functional T^

simonc
31-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks Rik, I havn't had a propper read of his blog but I will do it really looks good thanks for the heads up Atb Simon

simonc
31-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Hi alvino,
I've actually been chatting with johnnyboy, couldn't believe his kit was so small.
Thanks any way matey Atb Simon

simonc
31-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks Alan,
I totally agree with what you say about the Czech Bedroll (You just can't beat £10 now can you?)
Cheers Buddy
Atb Simon

Johnnyboy1971
31-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Hi alvino,
I've actually been chatting with johnnyboy, couldn't believe his kit was so small.
Thanks any way matey Atb Simon

Oi leave my small kit alone. Not done you any harm;)

Valantine
31-03-2014, 07:17 PM

:happy-clapping:

alvino78
31-03-2014, 07:28 PM
lol :Sorry:

simonc
01-04-2014, 08:35 AM
"Yeah e' can't elp avvin a small one":oops:

simonc
01-04-2014, 09:08 AM
suppose other than weights related to food and water, it will come down to area,season and luxuries. if your going for a few days are you gonna be passing re supply points and are you going to find water and treat it?
johnnyboy on here has kit down to a tee in my opinion, have alook at that i will try find linky!
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?7851-Trimming-gear-down&p=112237#post112237

I must admit that water is definately a problem as I'm not sure where I could fill up, there are streams on route but not sure of the condition of the water ie still and stagnent or full of real nasties, all I have to filter with is a Millbank bag.

As far as Location is concerned I will be in SE Kent to start with and maybe look at other areas later if I can find a willing nutter "Sorry partner" to join me. The season I think will have to be summer as I'm no spring chicken, just a chicken:ashamed: and luxuries "er, um, er, hmm yes, ah????????? Just as long as I've got my tea and some real milk (not powdered) I'll be ok.

alvino78
01-04-2014, 11:06 AM
I must admit that water is definately a problem as I'm not sure where I could fill up, there are streams on route but not sure of the condition of the water ie still and stagnent or full of real nasties, all I have to filter with is a Millbank bag.

As far as Location is concerned I will be in SE Kent to start with and maybe look at other areas later if I can find a willing nutter "Sorry partner" to join me. The season I think will have to be summer as I'm no spring chicken, just a chicken:ashamed: and luxuries "er, um, er, hmm yes, ah????????? Just as long as I've got my tea and some real milk (not powdered) I'll be ok.
water easier to find than milk i would think. unless a early morning suprise for a certain cow is planned. given that there are many farms about that i sumise would be more than happy to resupply you ,for a cost no doubt. But fresh milk and water thats worth it. I suggest some purification tabs and powdered milk just in case. mill banks are good but using milbank tabs and boiling is better.
have a look here. http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?5404-24-water-purification-methods&highlight=water+treatment

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?7337-milbank-or-hand-pump-filter&highlight=water+treatment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAWYER-MINI-WATER-FILTRATION-SYSTEM/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396351584&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyer+squeeze
best regards Al

tent peg
01-04-2014, 11:42 AM

skimmed milk is lighter!

Midge_Fodder
08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
skimmed milk is lighter!

Black coffee with no sugar is lighter still. Sorry couldn't resist.

tent peg
10-04-2014, 09:57 PM
:thumbup::):thumbup:

Mally
21-05-2014, 04:18 PM
I use a foam sleep mat £10 a Berghaus lightweight sleeping bag, bought in thr sale for £25 and a Rab bivi bag coming in at £60. Maybe not as cheap as your wanting but a great system and all you need in the height of summer. I often use a tarp too.