PDA

View Full Version : Staying Alive Cold - Kit (SACKit)

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Staying Alive Cold Kit

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=135922&d=1395139514

Here in Girl-world, we love to run around in the forests and mountains carrying very little with us to encumber us while we play. BUT....
We do need to be able to Stay Alive if anything happens.
Now, I, for one, like to go out running long distances in the mountains, and I am often on my own and I do not always know beforehand exactly what route I am taking or how long I will be.

You know, I am EXPLORING...

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1290/1244676618_7cbdcdb770.jpg

And...because I am running, I am usually not wearing very much and certainly not carrying very much.
And...because I am in the mountains, there is a good chance the the weather will suddenly turn very nasty just when I am a long way from home.

So. How to stay safe?
1. I do tell someone roughly in what area I will be and when I am expecting to return. I also leave this info in my car.
2. I carry a cell phone.
3. I carry my Stay Alive Cold Kit. (SACKIT) It fits into a pocket and with it I know that I can survive a night outdoors in pretty much any weather even when soaking wet and cold and wearing only my garish lycra running tights.
So what is this mythical SACKIT? (Rhymes with PackIT, TrackIT, CrackIT, and FrackIT!)

Well...it's for making a modern-day and very lightweight version of a scout fire.

http://www.practicalprimitive.com/images/newsletters/FireStructure/scoutfire.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=132935381 8668

You will need:
1 Normal Space Blanket
1 Modified Space Blanket (see instructions below)
3 - 4 Tea Light candles
1 Pack of Hurricane Matches (also called Lifeboat Matches)
3 Packs of Power Gel or similar goo - for eating, to keep the internal fires burning

The idea is that you use the modified space blanket as a poncho with your head sticking through an opening you have made, the other space blanket covers your head.
Then you sit on the ground with your knees up and light the candle inside your little one person teepee. You will be AMAZED at how warm you get.
Most tea lights burn for 4-5 hours so with 3-4 of them you can easily wait out the big storm.

OBVIOUS DANGER - WARNING!
NEEDLESS to say - Mylar space blankets are VERY Flammable. Keep the candle flame right between your legs and AWAY from the space blanket material. Do not light yourself on fire. Keep your head OUTSIDE the main poncho so that you do not asphyxiate. OK?

Modify your space blanket
I wish I could say that I came up with this idea, but I can't. I got it from Steve Isaac and it works great. Basically we want to modify the standard Mylar/aluminum space blanket so that it can more easily be used as a poncho or a shelter.
1. Start with a standard space blanket.
2. Find the center of the space blanket. Cut a piece of duct tape about 40cm long. Tape it onto the space blanket where you would like your head to go.
3. Turn the space blanket over and place another piece of duct tape in the same location so you have duct tape on both sides of the space blanket.
4. Place a piece of duct tape at each corner and the center of each side. To do this cut a piece about 10-15cm long and fold it over the edge so half is on one side and half on the other side
5. Use a hole punch or a nail to punch a hole in each of the eight perimeter patches: 4 corners and 4 sides. Don't cut a slit with a knife.
6. Fold the space blanket in half along the center piece of duct tape (Where you want your head to go.) Use the hole punch to punch two holes roughly 40cm apart. Cut between the two holes with a scissors to make a neck hole.
7. But you might not want a poncho. Maybe you really want to make a shelter or still use it as a blanket, so you have to make a seal for the neck hole you just made. Seal the neck hole with another piece of duct tape. Fold over the last inch or so on each end so you have something to grab.
8. Fold the space blanket back up always brushing the air out from the fold to the open end. Place the modified and folded space blanket in a Ziploc bag.
9. See the photos below.

Overall view of the modified space blanket

http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/Y2002/M12/Images/PFDBlanketModifiedSpaceBlanetFullView37.jpg?__SQUA RESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1329353300844

Close up of the neck hole

http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/Y2002/M12/Images/PFDBlanketNeckHole38.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSIO N=1329353352095

Close up of the tie-outs at the edges and corners of the space blanket.
(These are optional really)

http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/Y2002/M12/Images/PFDBlanketTiePointDetail39.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHE VERSION=1329353445468

FishyFolk
18-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Nobody, except some of my child hood friends, and my buddies from the army, and some bus drivers that ignored me, has ever seen me run.
But thtas a good idea. I just may add it to my core kit :-)

Except when I do go to places where I might need it, my Jerven bag is with me anyway...so I may lazy out of making it. But it is now stored in my brain for later use...
Perhaps as a kit for my SIB survival kit...I fish from an inflatable boat and someday I may have to ditch on some islet out in the fjords...

Rune

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Nobody, except some of my child hood friends, and my buddies from the army, and some bus drivers that ignored me, has ever seen me run.
But thtas a good idea. I just may add it to my core kit :-)

Except when I do go to places where I might need it, my Jerven bag is with me anyway...so I may lazy out of making it. But it is now stored in my brain for later use...
Perhaps as a kit for my SIB survival kit...I fish from an inflatable boat and someday I may have to ditch on some islet out in the fjords...

Rune

It was exactly with water-safety in mind that it was developed...

http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/Y2002/M12/SteveIsaacWhenGodsPlay.aspx

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 04:01 PM
http://youtu.be/vXurGm_7cWc

Midge_Fodder
18-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Aye I get that exactly. I've been in a capsized boat before, funny story about a sit on kayak and a motorboat wake. Anyway it was cold, so cold I hurt for days as my core muscles contracted that hard. I might take this fishing too, last thing I need is to actually be more than 10 mins from the dry gear in the car, and have had dunk again.

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Aye I get that exactly. I've been in a capsized boat before, funny story about a sit on kayak and a motorboat wake. Anyway it was cold, so cold I hurt for days as my core muscles contracted that hard. I might take this fishing too, last thing I need is to actually be more than 10 mins from the dry gear in the car, and have had dunk again.

So so painful. B.A.D.

Midge_Fodder
18-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Nothing quite prepares you for 2 degree Celsius water when your not expecting it.

rik_uk3
18-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Do you ever use a bothy bag?

midas
18-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your tips Sue,A life Saver.!
You look HOT in both your "running Gear n Turkey Wrap"lol.Its surprising how much heat those T lites put out!

FishyFolk
18-03-2014, 07:55 PM

I hav e a survival/bivi/ sleeping bag in the form of the Jerven bag. Very expensive and purchased before I got a family...anyway, it does that job too...Susanne also loves them.

What I bring in the boat is a 30 litre dry bag with a rope on it, with a knife, some waterproof firestarters, some freeze dried food, energy bars, candles, emergency flares, and a set of thermal underwear, dry wool socks and a light weight set of rain jacket and trousers...the idea is I can grab it if I have to ditch the boat on some rock out there (plenty of them)...but SIB's are very safe boats, so I doubt it will ever happen...
But it makes me feel safer...

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Nothing quite prepares you for 2 degree Celsius water when your not expecting it.

I have trained myself to put my hand over my mouth anytime I hit the water. The huge gasp reflex is just a killer in cold water.

Amazing is that you have a full 10 mins before incapacitated by hypothermia.

But for the first minute you just have to fight not to drown, and just get your breathing under control.

After that things can get better.

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 09:02 PM

Sometimes a Bothy 2, but these days more often I have my Jerven Bag. That is full on life insurance.

You can get into your Jerven Bag and light a candle in there too.

This will get hot very quickly and even dry your clothes out.

I have tried this. Amazing!

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks for your tips Sue,A life Saver.!
You look HOT in both your "running Gear n Turkey Wrap"lol.Its surprising how much heat those T lites put out!

Thank you!!! Wow. Blushing a little. But not in a bad way. :-)

susannewilliams
18-03-2014, 09:05 PM
I hav e a survival/bivi/ sleeping bag in the form of the Jerven bag. Very expensive and purchased before I got a family...anyway, it does that job too...Susanne also loves them.

What I bring in the boat is a 30 litre dry bag with a rope on it, with a knife, some waterproof firestarters, some freeze dried food, energy bars, candles, emergency flares, and a set of thermal underwear, dry wool socks and a light weight set of rain jacket and trousers...the idea is I can grab it if I have to ditch the boat on some rock out there (plenty of them)...but SIB's are very safe boats, so I doubt it will ever happen...
But it makes me feel safer...

Still recommend a little kit in your PFD. It happens so fast to get seperated. So horribly fast.

FishyFolk
19-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Still recommend a little kit in your PFD. It happens so fast to get seperated. So horribly fast.

I got some stuff in the pockets of my float suit too. But unless I fall overboard, everything happens in slow motion on my boat. It only has a 4hp engine on it so it just putters allong. The dry bag I can clip to me with a carbine hook. A likely scenario is probably that I get a hole in the boat, and have to beach it and do a repair. And then I have to wait a few hours until the glue sets. The boat has several air chambers so it won't sink. And these boats are incredibly steady.

Anyway, the punctured boat scenario I had once so I know how it will play out :-)

susannewilliams
19-03-2014, 08:56 AM
I got some stuff in the pockets of my float suit too. But unless I fall overboard, everything happens in slow motion on my boat. It only has a 4hp engine on it so it just putters allong. The dry bag I can clip to me with a carbine hook. A likely scenario is probably that I get a hole in the boat, and have to beach it and do a repair. And then I have to wait a few hours until the glue sets. The boat has several air chambers so it won't sink. And these boats are incredibly steady.

Anyway, the punctured boat scenario I had once so I know how it will play out :-)

Ah ok. Thought you were talking about a sea kayak...

What float suit did you get?

susannewilliams
19-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Here is an example of use. Drysuit with pockets (and a PFD) but that's it. Now this is my home lake but I also explore remotely like this.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=136182&d=1395223292

FishyFolk
19-03-2014, 02:14 PM

What float suit did you get?

Regatta Sportline 953. It think its a Norwegian brand.
http://www.regatta.no/index.php?page_id=522

FishyFolk
19-03-2014, 02:21 PM

I wanted a sit-on-top kayak, but my then pregnant wife, took one look at it, patted her belly and told me "No"...

Strange as her father made a living making river boats in Thailand...and those things had a smaller free board than most kayaks, ha ha
Or maybe she thinks that kayak is as dangerous to use as those river boats...I tried them, and sank every time, to half the villages amusement.... :-)

rik_uk3
19-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Sometimes a Bothy 2, but these days more often I have my Jerven Bag. That is full on life insurance.

You can get into your Jerven Bag and light a candle in there too.

This will get hot very quickly and even dry your clothes out.

I have tried this. Amazing!

You can light a candle in a bothy bag too :)

susannewilliams
19-03-2014, 06:55 PM
You can light a candle in a bothy bag too :)

This very true. :-)
Jerven Bag is still rather more versatile, if somewhat heavier

But I also have to say, when I am actually day trip mountaineering in autumn or winter the bothy bag is in my sac.

:-)

Silverback
19-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Find bothy bags hard to beat...even had a long one we could get a stretcher in

tent peg
19-03-2014, 09:25 PM
would not be without my bothy bag, warms you up in seconds ;)

susannewilliams
19-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Still doesn't fit in your pocket though.

That's the thing.

This is for when I have nothing.

I am fell running
Or sea kayaking and lost contact with my kayak

And have to - HAVE. TO. - Get. Warm. Now.

I love the bothy for having a cup of tea for instance. Or just a little snack break, or to look at someone's feet.

But the SACKit. That's the saviour when there is no other.

tent peg
19-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Still doesn't fit in your pocket though.

That's the thing.

This is for when I have nothing.

I am fell running
Or sea kayaking and lost contact with my kayak

And have to - HAVE. TO. - Get. Warm. Now.

I love the bothy for having a cup of tea for instance. Or just a little snack break, or to look at someone's feet.

But the SACKit. That's the saviour when there is no other.

Have you actually had to use it yet?

midas
19-03-2014, 11:25 PM

Haven't you seen the video,Tentpeg,(post#4)?Were Sue is in the SACK,n the thermometer is going up,as the temp rises.

tent peg
20-03-2014, 05:48 AM
Haven't you seen the video,Tentpeg,(post#4)?Were Sue is in the SACK,n the thermometer is going up,as the temp rises.

yes, I watched that, I meant "had to use" as meaning in an emergency situation.

midas
20-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Ok TP,Don't know,if she has?But its such a simple Idea,costing pennies,n reasuring to have along,etc.I've ordered a couple of extra Blankets,Got the T lites n Matchs,gaffer tape..also a small camera case,belt fitting or clipon,to fit it in.Never been a true fan of "reflective survival blankets" (if your "freezing" n use one you remained freezing!)But with just a T lite to warm you,that problems solved!

Silverback
20-03-2014, 10:09 AM
The problems come from lack of coordination and altered thought process of the hypothermic casualty - still a good idea to prevent further temp drop and for rewarming a mildly hypothermic body.

alvino78
20-03-2014, 11:10 AM
http://youtu.be/vXurGm_7cWc
graet thread as usual sue! T^

tent peg
20-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Ok TP,Don't know,if she has?But its such a simple Idea,costing pennies,n reasuring to have along,etc.I've ordered a couple of extra Blankets,Got the T lites n Matchs,gaffer tape..also a small camera case,belt fitting or clipon,to fit it in.Never been a true fan of "reflective survival blankets" (if your "freezing" n use one you remained freezing!)But with just a T lite to warm you,that problems solved!

Agreed looks like a great idea, I was genuinely interested in whether it had been tested in a real hypo or not?

midas
20-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Agreed looks like a great idea, I was genuinely interested in whether it had been tested in a real hypo or not?

I notice Sue says its not her Idea,(wishes it was)but someone called Steve Isaac's.n the mountain runners.So it must have some "History"?

Silverback
20-03-2014, 05:23 PM
It goes back to indigenous peoples AFIK

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Once. Worked VERY well.

Mild hypo in girl who had not eaten enough. 20mins and all good.

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 03:08 PM
The problems come from lack of coordination and altered thought process of the hypothermic casualty - still a good idea to prevent further temp drop and for rewarming a mildly hypothermic body.

You need to get warm, eat and then come back to functioning....

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 03:10 PM

Yes. It's a pretty standard method.

German hunters light a candle in their loden coat
Norwegian army has a Jerven bag which they light a candle in.

This particular version is used by Sea Kayakers

I have used it in an emergency once, as I wrote, and for myself also once where conditions were marginal and I just needed a bit of shelter and warming while I ate...

It just works...

You even get your clothes dry because of the chimney effect. Amazing...

Silverback
22-03-2014, 03:50 PM
You need to get warm, eat and then come back to functioning....

Yes I'm fully conversant with the treatment of Hypothermic casualties in mountain and wilderness terrain....my point was self use...lack of coordination and alteration of normal thought processes could have an adverse effect on putting it into practice - its still a good idea as I said previously. However it must be said that direct and rapid rewarming of a severely hypothermic person can be quite dangerous, it depends on how long the onset of hypothermia took along with other factors

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes I'm fully conversant with the treatment of Hypothermic casualties in mountain and wilderness terrain....my point was self use...lack of coordination and alteration of normal thought processes could have an adverse effect on putting it into practice - its still a good idea as I said previously. However it must be said that direct and rapid rewarming of a severely hypothermic person can be quite dangerous, it depends on how long the onset of hypothermia took along with other factors

Indeed...and by the time you are severely hypothermic it is likely too late for self-help anyway.

But it is still better than nothing...even if you fumble the matches...and smear your face with powergel... :-)

What really helps is physically practicing the action, many many many times. So that you don't need much higher brain function do execute it.

(good stuff on this in the book "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales...)

Absolutely... rewarming is a very delicate procedure...even rough handling or moving the body from vertical to horizontal just triggers the afterdrop... poof. dead.

FishyFolk
22-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Just one pice of advice. If you try this in a jerven bag, set the candle up in your cooking pot to avoid burning the bag. It will be a lot more steady and controllable that way...and safer if you doze off...

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Just one pice of advice. If you try this in a jerven bag, set the candle up in your cooking pot to avoid burning the bag. It will be a lot more steady and controllable that way...and safer if you doze off...

Vereeee true....

Silverback
22-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Rough handling doesn't just help with afterdrop it can cause VF which in turn may lead to Cardiac Arrest...although Hypothermia is at least one of the 8 reversible causes of cardiac arrest. Sounds like a good book....no substitiute for experience though - I may grab a copy and add it to my CPD file

midas
22-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Nice one !Rune!But what I want to know is were Sue is going to put "Her cookin Pot"??when she is in her Lycra running gear.????lol!

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Nice one !Rune!But what I want to know is were Sue is going to put "Her cookin Pot"??when she is in her Lycra running gear.????lol!

Ah that cooking pot tip is for when you are in the Jerven Bag.

That is a different variation.

But boy is it a good one when you are wet and cold and it is -40C outside and gale force winds... Oh yes. CAAAANDLE IIIN the JEEEERRRVEN BAG!

What is a Jerven Bag?

Well, it's one of these

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Portals/21/Forums/jerven/j2.jpg

FishyFolk
22-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Best piece of kit I have ever had the good fortune of getting myself. Worth every coin!

You can use it as a sleeping bag. Or a sleeping bag cover when it's raining, or windy or just bad weather. It's actually so strong you can use it as a hammock if need be. You can make it into a stretcher, you can use it as a bivi bag, you can make it into a tent, you can use it as a hammock sock, or under quilt, or top quilt, you can use it as a poncho, or as a tarp. You can take two or more and make a tent. Etc ad infinitum

I wold go as far as to say it's impossible to freeze to death if you are inside one in European weather conditions...

http://jerven.mediabook.no/5/

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Best piece of kit I have ever had the good fortune of getting myself. Worth every coin!

You can use it as a sleeping bag. Or a sleeping bag cover when it's raining, or windy or just bad weather. It's actually so strong you can use it as a hammock if need be. You can make it into a stretcher, you can use it as a bivi bag, you can make it into a tent, you can use it as a hammock sock, or under quilt, or top quilt, you can use it as a poncho, or as a tarp. You can take two or more and make a tent. Etc ad infinitum

I wold go as far as to say it's impossible to freeze to death if you are inside one in European weather conditions...

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty hapless to freeze to death in a Jerven Bag...

S

Valantine
22-03-2014, 08:28 PM

Looks to be the ultimate in bushcraft gear T^

susannewilliams
22-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Looks to be the ultimate in bushcraft gear T^

It is awesome.

My life insurance and comfort guarantee...