PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Tarps

Sean The Silver Fox
18-11-2010, 08:02 PM
I have decided to go back to using primitive materials where possible. I have been prompted to take this step due to the fact that all of my tarps have holes in them from pine fire sparks and I haven't enjoyed camping out as much this year with a larger rucksack. Yes the hammocks, and sleeping pads are warm but not very challenging. I have recently bought a canvas tarp from http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/ and combined with my wool blanket intend on using it as my main kit. The tarp needs a few modifications from standard. I admit its heavy (5kg for a 3mx3m) but will be stronger than any poly tarp. I will also be making a Hudson bay pack and a cow skin haversack.

By taking this step it has given me lots of avenues to make my own kit, so expect many more videos from me shortly.

Sean

Matt
18-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Sean, the fabric I'm currently using is waxed cotton, to put together a bedroll. Now you've got me thinking about the possibility of a waxed cotton tarp......mmmm.

Regards, Matt.

Shawn
30-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi guys, I just wanted to be clear on what you are referring to as waxed cotton. Is it the same material as "oilskin" like they make the Outback jackets with?

Shawn

:campfire:

Raikey
30-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I have decided to go back to using primitive materials where possible. I have been prompted to take this step due to the fact that all of my tarps have holes in them from pine fire sparks and I haven't enjoyed camping out as much this year with a larger rucksack. Yes the hammocks, and sleeping pads are warm but not very challenging. I have recently bought a canvas tarp from www.tarpflex.co.uk (http://www.tarpflex.co.uk) and combined with my wool blanket intend on using it as my main kit. The tarp needs a few modifications from standard. I admit its heavy (5kg for a 3mx3m) but will be stronger than any poly tarp. I will also be making a Hudson bay pack and a cow skin haversack.

By taking this step it has given me lots of avenues to make my own kit, so expect many more videos from me shortly.

Sean

i often feel like this under a DD tarp,...

sort of like i,m missing something more,..erm,...true?...for want of a better word,....

but i cant justify adding 5kgs to my pack until i sort out some other issues with my carry,...

bet there pricey too,....

oh welcome to the site Sean i sometimes watch your utube vids,..

Cheers

Stu

CanadianMike
30-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Lol, Sean is here! Dude, I've watched many of your videos and enjoy them, down to earth and natural feeling. Welcome to you from me in Canada!

On topic, I like the idea of a canvas tarp (wool blankets I started collecting earlier this year and love them), the idea of one makes me want to look around, regardless of weight (due to the same burn holes that easily occur in nylon.

Ashley Cawley
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I have decided to go back to using primitive materials where possible. I have been prompted to take this step due to the fact that all of my tarps have holes in them from pine fire sparks and I haven't enjoyed camping out as much this year with a larger rucksack. Yes the hammocks, and sleeping pads are warm but not very challenging. I have recently bought a canvas tarp from www.tarpflex.co.uk (http://www.tarpflex.co.uk) and combined with my wool blanket intend on using it as my main kit. The tarp needs a few modifications from standard. I admit its heavy (5kg for a 3mx3m) but will be stronger than any poly tarp. I will also be making a Hudson bay pack and a cow skin haversack.

Sean
:welcome: to the forum Sean,
As I'm sure many others do; I too enjoy watching your videos and appreciate that you take the time to share, so thank you.

As for the Tarp, interesting thoughts! In all honesty I've never tried a Canvas Tarp. My favourite Tarp is a Tatonka 3x3m Polycotton mix tarp, the polycotton helps against holes from fire-sparks, I've not had any issues yet and have been using it for years.

I look forward to learning more about canvas Tarps and seeing your videos on them.

Tony1948
19-04-2012, 07:20 PM
:welcome:To the forum Sean,seen all you'r vidios looking forwould to a lot more.Atb.................TONY...........DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS.

comanighttrain
19-04-2012, 08:35 PM
5KG....when it's dry...

Canvas is certainly a great material though... if only it were lighter

Martin
19-04-2012, 08:41 PM
5KG....when it's dry...

Canvas is certainly a great material though... if only it were lighter

Precisely.

Martin

luresalive
19-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Canvas Tarps (http://www.tarpsplus.com/canvastarps.html) are ideal for anything! I really enjoy using them, I bought my first one a few years ago when i was painting the house, and i like that it was machine washable!

I think this is a spam post!!

Ashley Cawley
19-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I think this is a spam post!!Well spotted - you were right ;)

Fletching
19-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey Sean, the fabric I'm currently using is waxed cotton, to put together a bedroll. Now you've got me thinking about the possibility of a waxed cotton tarp......mmmm.

Regards, Matt.

Hi Guys!

Beeswax coated canvas - I've got enough beeswax for about 30 square metres now - Thanks Ben (Ben and Ken's Survival School - bring petrol- awaiting URL)!

I'm gonna coat that amount of canvas this year now I've had to abandon the bikes and buy a Landy so I can carry more weight, so I'm thinking a bedroll and a tarp, so I'll be watching this post for any advice/experiences.

Thanks!!!

Steve :)

Ben Casey
19-04-2012, 11:09 PM
The little bit of beeswax I gave you wont be enough mate my advice is to raid a beehive and if your a real man you will do it naked but throw a fire bomb first LOL
No you better not I will get wrong :oops: :ashamed:

Hi Guys!
Beeswax coated canvas - I've got enough beeswax for about 30 square metres now - Thanks Ben (Ben and Ken's Survival School - bring petrol- awaiting URL)!
I'm gonna coat that amount of canvas this year now I've had to abandon the bikes and buy a Landy so I can carry more weight, so I'm thinking a bedroll and a tarp, so I'll be watching this post for any advice/experiences.
Thanks!!!

Fletching
19-04-2012, 11:37 PM
The little bit of beeswax I gave you wont be enough mate my advice is to raid a beehive and if your a real man you will do it naked but throw a fire bomb first LOL
No you better not I will get wrong :oops: :ashamed:

I 'ad about a kilo o' beeswax and you topped it off - cheers Ben!

Basha72
20-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Are you going to fix the tarp direct to the LR , we did that at one of the Wilderness gatherings we went to and managed to get away with vehicle camping parking pretty much on the level and no kit humping to be done !! unlike the other poor sods who had to carry their kit up the hill

Dave

Fletching
20-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Are you going to fix the tarp direct to the LR , we did that at one of the Wilderness gatherings we went to and managed to get away with vehicle camping parking pretty much on the level and no kit humping to be done !! unlike the other poor sods who had to carry their kit up the hill

Dave

Pretty much Dave! Looking for a decent 2nd hand roofrack as we speak! Already got the extendable canvas 'roll-out & support tarp' mechanism idea mapped. ;)

Ben Casey
20-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Steve have you tried ex mod tents ours used to fit around the back door making a seal it is the old 9 X 9 tent they have and the ones we had had a mod on them :)

Pretty much Dave! Looking for a decent 2nd hand roofrack as we speak! Already got the extendable canvas 'roll-out & support tarp' mechanism idea mapped. ;)

Fletching
20-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi Steve have you tried ex mod tents ours used to fit around the back door making a seal it is the old 9 X 9 tent they have and the ones we had had a mod on them :)

Cheers Ben, I'll look into that.

:)

Ben Casey
20-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Try this I just googled it the old Military stuff normally goes to Auction http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/

Cheers Ben, I'll look into that.

:)

Ben Casey
20-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Hi Mate I had a deeper search try this one :)

http://www.tentsplus.co.uk/99ip.htm

Fletching
20-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi Mate I had a deeper search try this one :)

http://www.tentsplus.co.uk/99ip.htm

Cheers Ben, going to be a while before I can afford that kind of money though. :)

Ben Casey
20-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Thats ok mate I was sort of reading this and it popped in my head what we used to have :D