PDA

View Full Version : Opinel knives.......... how and what for o you use them?

CanadianMike
08-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I know there are two threads about these knives already, both are just asking if good buys, but now that I own three (two #8, one stainless and one carbon, and one carbon #6) I want to know all that you guys do with them. I've really only used for cooking at home so far (raw chicken breast and tomatoes), they cut well, but I want to see how useful they are in the bush considering the thinness of the blades and bevel type. Outside of light work with them (cutting food, making pointy sticks, cutting cordage), are there any interesting uses for them? Or are they just a classic light duty 'Swiss Army Knife' style?

I plan to keep the inox #8 in with my cooking gear, and have one or the other carbon ones in a pocket, the other......... in my pack? Dunno.

Martin
08-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Mine's great at cutting hazel staves and it's quite surprising how thick it will cut when it's really sharp. Must have a lot to do with the thinness of the blade.

Martin

CanadianMike
08-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Ya, very thin and only one very slim bevel on it, is quite nice and cuts food well.

Fletching
09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I've only got the one (No.9 Carbone) and I've reserved that for food use exclusively.

CanadianMike
09-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Speaking of that one, I soaked the blades of my two in hot vinegar the other night and within 5mins they turned almost black. Unfortunately the vinegar soaked into the wood and opening/closing them is a lot stiffer now, and got some rust on the end of the blade where the pivot is. So I'll use for other things and reserve my stainless one (worth getting for this task) for food.

Aaron Rushton
09-02-2011, 02:56 PM
well i made a bow and arrow (for my little cousin) out of a couple of long thick hazel rods yesterday using only an opinel #8 and a handy for in a tree. it did very weel shaping out the bow, but i would not recommend batoning with it, not even light stuff, as the ring moves a little everytime you hit the top oif the blade and it folds. used it to carve and cut intrecat bits in trap making, its one of the most efficent and excelletn skinner i've ever used. very impressed with how well it holds an edge, but its not up to heavy work.

moraklipper
10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Hi. I have an #7 carbon and an #12 carbon. With #7 I cut sticks about 6-10 mm diameter, and with #12 in the forest I cut wood for fire.

moraklipper
10-03-2011, 12:15 PM
In my opinion the OPINEL is the ideal folder for cuting food and forest utility and bushcraft, but I dont recomand for batoning.

J_P
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
ive got opinels, i usually carry a red stainless one if on the coast but to tell you the truth i have a leatherman wave TI in my possibles/1st aid pouch and my fixed blade and very rarely use them, they are good value knives and you can get them shaving sharp, the little saws are very good too....

garethw
10-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Had Opinels for years... My ex-mother in law gave me a whole box of No:8's when she closed her souvenir store...I have 4 left, mostly used for cooking, and food prep... I also have one stainless.
I find they are too flimsy for any serious hard use and the points break very easily.
I think of the two famous French knives I'm in the Laguiole camp as I have three of these also. They are better made, thicker steel blade and a nicer knife all together.
cheers
Gareth

Tommy
06-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I have a number seven. I use it mostly for cutting the food on my plate while camping. I don't use it for much else.

I don't recommend getting an opinel knife. A modern lock blade is much better.

admo919
06-08-2013, 09:33 PM
I think at my local gents hardware the Opinel is about £6, to be honest I think they are light and easily sharpend, the handles can be customised by a little light carving, they are good for food prep as previously stated, I would say they are a good cheap handy tool fit for light purpose and general day to day use.

what do you want from a six quid knife? its only a couple of pints or less than a packet of fags I think! ;)

Old Guard
07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
I think at my local gents hardware the Opinel is about £6, to be honest I think they are light and easily sharpend, the handles can be customised by a little light carving, they are good for food prep as previously stated, I would say they are a good cheap handy tool fit for light purpose and general day to day use.

what do you want from a six quid knife? its only a couple of pints or less than a packet of fags I think! ;)

That sum's them up rather nicely *#*

Fraser
07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
My #6 rarely leaves my side. I use it for everything from cutting things to................ cutting other things.

Alexdermietzel97
07-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I have a few opinel knives but my favourite is the no.8 stainless. It is great for cutting food and light camp cutting chores, I would carve a tent peg with one but I would not push it further than that (I rarely ever feel the need to). The no.5 is also great for an EDC knife due to it's lack of a locking mechanism and a blade length under of 3". They really are fantastic value. You can get a razor edge on them and it stays there for a while, super easy to sharpen with my dc4 too, it rarely needs anything more than a strop.

saxonaxe
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
For me, the number 9 Opinel that lives in the lid pocket of my Bergen is probably about the best cost/usefulness/weight ratio knife that I could find to carry as a rarely used 'spare' knife. Can't remember the last time I used it..but it's there... just in case...:D :D

ian c
07-08-2013, 09:03 PM
I have the opinel number 6 and must admit that I have broken the tip of the blade but with a sharpening stone I reshaped it and its just as good, I use it mainly for cutting anything from string to hazel to make pegs for my snares also use it for gutting fish, rabbits ect and yes I have used it for food prep, it not the strongest blade but for the price cant complain.