PDA

View Full Version : Watches?

Conor Cotton
04-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows a good watch for the outdoors thats durable and water resistant as well?
I now do lots of work as an instructor assistant so needs to be a good outdoor watch. Oh and reasonable priced!!!

Conor

Silverback
04-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Still using a 1990 issued G10 watch

TheDogsSlave
04-03-2014, 01:22 PM
I have a casio G shock - bulletproof. I also have a citizen MOD watch but its dead at the moment :(

Rasputin
04-03-2014, 02:08 PM
My swmbo bought me a Timex Expedition with digi compass a couple of birthdays ago. No probs with it and its taken a few knocks. I like it , same as this but neoprene strap, wp 100m..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Timex-Mens-Expedition-Digital-Compass-Chronograph-Alarm-Fastwrap-Strap-Watch-NEW-/200919667489?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2ec7bed321

NorthernYeti
04-03-2014, 02:35 PM
i had a casio g-shock i found in spain the hotel staff let me have it when i left after 3 weeks no one had claimed it when i was 8 had that for 10 years seriusly bulletproof afters years of coastearing mountain biking rock climbing kyaking the worst it ever sufferd was a dead battery unfortionatly i lost it when working in a wearhouse :( but very well recomended keep meaning to pick a new one up

David_JAFO
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
hello,
Still using my issued CWC SBS Divers Watch from around same time. this only requires a new strap now & again, plus full service/battery change every 5 years :wink:
I have a spare Timex US Military style watch (non battery) I've had that for a number of years bought it for under £20.00 still going strong too. I noted there's one of these collectors magazines available just now in newsagents 'copies' of Military watches. *Remember these will be copies imitations & not the real McCoy.
Regards
David

Still using a 1990 issued G10 watch

ian c
04-03-2014, 07:53 PM
I used to have a casio G shock which was brilliant but lost it whilst parachuting so got a traser code blue from the stores which was a trial issue and was informed that it was a onetime issue so I could keep it and all I have had to do is replace the battery once in six years, otherwise I would have got another G shock.

rik_uk3
05-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Another vote for Timex Expedition watches. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2544502.htm The blue coloured back light makes them easy to use in the dark and won't 'kill' your night vision.

janso
05-03-2014, 06:27 AM
There's plenty out there; another vote for G Shocks although I've switched to Suunto again! Do you want a watch that just does it's job or added extras is the question? Most go with the fashion and never use all the extra functions - they are rarely accurate to be fair unless paying more

Rasputin
05-03-2014, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE= The blue coloured back light makes them easy to use in the dark and won't 'kill' your night vision.[/QUOTE]

T^

Silverback
05-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Ditched my Suunto as I don't need the altimeter and the battery compartment fell apart - Casio protrek was horrendously expensive on batteries and eventually packed in after 5 years of mountains and mud so dragged the G10 out of the drawer blew off the dust and changed the strap...that was 7 years ago and as said before it was issued in 1990

David_JAFO
05-03-2014, 01:53 PM
hello,
Sapper like both the CWC Swiss made G10 & SBS Divers Watch both built to last. I can honestly say my watch hasn't lost a second keeps great time. I'm looking for a 20mm Help 4 Heroes tri colour strap for my watch, current strap Black. I can only find an 18mm in the H4H colours :(
Regards
David
T^

Ditched my Suunto as I don't need the altimeter and the battery compartment fell apart - Casio protrek was horrendously expensive on batteries and eventually packed in after 5 years of mountains and mud so dragged the G10 out of the drawer blew off the dust and changed the strap...that was 7 years ago and as said before it was issued in 1990

janso
05-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Forgot about my work watch; Casio pro trek, being a solar model it works great although the ABC can be a tad inaccurate... Highly recommended and quite cheap now I think on evilbay!

Midge_Fodder
26-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Depends on what you want from a watch. I usually wear a Timex Chronograph, but it's a matter of preference in what you want.

jbrown14
26-03-2014, 01:57 PM
I had a Timex Expedition for years before the battery finally died in it. When I got a new, better paying job about 4 years ago, I splurged and bought myself a Luminox Series 3000/3900 V3 with the Nato gray canvas band. Only 2 (well, 3 features) rotating bezel for stopwatch, date, and tritium glowing hour marks on the face. Waterproof to 200 meters, though I don't expect to get much deeper than 6 or 7 meters... (I don't dive :D )
I also bought a spare black band for it for fancy dress occasions. Ha!
The only maintenance I've done on it is the occasional cleaning of the bands in a glass of hot water with some effervescent denture cleaner. Works great.

All the best!
Josh