PDA

View Full Version : Bats ...

Elen Sentier
25-02-2014, 10:12 PM
I've just been invited to join our local bat group (part of the Wildlife Trust) which is very attractive as I love bats and find them fascinating. I understand that bats can sometimes have rabies and that i must be vaccinated in order to work with them. Looking up the side-effects is a bit scary as I have rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis and diabetes as well as several other conditions. I'm sure the vaccine itself won't harm me although I may need extra tests to check it's worked because of the auto-immune condition but ... I already get most of the common side-effects from the diseases (the 1 in 10 people get this ones) and am a bit nervous about feeling ghastly for a month. Does anyone have any experience of this? I know you can't tell me what I'll feel but others' experience can be helpful :)

midas
26-02-2014, 12:06 AM
Is it worth risking your health n welfare for a "HOBBY"???Watch them on TV or Video,n stay safe!!!

jus_young
26-02-2014, 12:24 AM
I am not aware of any bat handlers on the forum so really the best advice is the obvious 'check with the doc'. Its interesting to know that rabies, or a rabies like virus, is still here in the UK. Most people are under the impression that the disease was eliminated from our shores.

David_JAFO
26-02-2014, 08:43 PM
hello,
Elen, I occasionally take part in the UK Bat Survey been along to the local Bat Conservation Group in my area as I live near 2 great Bat roost sites, along with walks in the local woods & urban areas right on my doorstep. I doubt you'll come in contact with such close up as usually these groups go along to areas where there's Bat activity monitor such from a distance usually at dusk watch & listen with Bat detectors etc.. I was lucky enough 2010 to see a few pairs in flight with their young very close up as we were on a ledge over looking them in flight & they did come in close enough. Anyway I hope you do enjoy the experience. enclosed a link of interest http://www.bats.org.uk/
Regards
David