PDA

View Full Version : Young Fly Fisher

David_JAFO
25-02-2014, 02:36 PM
hello,
I thought I would post details of a young lad I know the next up & coming Matt Hayes 'Total Fishing' by the name of David Barr. David hails from South Lanarkshire a very keen angler & fly tier near expert. Started his own website http://youngflyfisher.weebly.com/ The last time I had spoken to David (family) Matt Hayes was across opening an anglers shop & met David, later again Matt gave David some expert tips on fishing gear in Stirling (Scotland) & offered David the opportunity to wet a line with him. Have a browse at the website & give some support to this young lad he's only 14 years old & an up & coming Pro :wink:
Regards
David

Midge_Fodder
27-02-2014, 01:58 AM
Always good to see some young talent. Puts me to shame tbh, I tie great flies but I'd struggle to catch a cold lol.

David_JAFO
27-02-2014, 04:41 AM
hello,
DITTO.. there's some good fishing down your way too.
Regards
David

Midge_Fodder
27-02-2014, 04:47 AM
Aye I'm 10 minutes away from the Annan, it's some of the best sea trout waters I know

David_JAFO
27-02-2014, 02:57 PM
hello,
T^
Regards
David

Aye I'm 10 minutes away from the Annan, it's some of the best sea trout waters I know

OakAshandThorn
28-02-2014, 04:38 PM
T^ Never thought I'd see the day when the younger generation takes up an old-fashioned, traditional hobby like that of fly fishing :). Hardly anyone ties flies these days, except the elder folk, and few enough still cast fly rods (or know how).
Best wishes to this young man :).

Midge_Fodder
28-02-2014, 05:35 PM
It's not as hard to believe for me, I make traditional walking sticks and tie flies. I'm only 24 lol, been doing it since I was about 8. Over here it's still a huge sport fly fishing as 90% of our game fisheries tend to be fly only. A lot of us wet our waders casting fly. What makes this lad as special is he is astoundingly talented at both even being so young.

OakAshandThorn
01-03-2014, 11:24 PM
It's not as hard to believe for me, I make traditional walking sticks and tie flies. I'm only 24 lol, been doing it since I was about 8. Over here it's still a huge sport fly fishing as 90% of our game fisheries tend to be fly only. A lot of us wet our waders casting fly. What makes this lad as special is he is astoundingly talented at both even being so young.
More and more people in my parts are picking up spinning rods...not that it's a bad thing, but everyone seems to have forgotten the art of fly casting. I had no teacher to learn from, so I was self-taught. People see me cast my Redington and they're astounded, as if I appeared out of the early 1900s. It also doesn't help that many Connecticut rivers are poisoned from PCBs, Mercury, and all manner of chemical swill (but at least it 'aint as bad as the Hudson River ;) )...only a few are relatively clean.
I'm glad the tradition is alive and well in the UK :). It has yet to blossom once again here in the States.

Midge_Fodder
01-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Game anglers tend not to be spinners I've found, course is alive and well for that sort of thing. What I've noticed though is my nephew is fascinated by it all. He's only 2 but he does nothing but sit with his aunty looking at photos of me fishing and my monthly magazines. If he's good and doesn't wind up my cats, gets too look in my fly box, or I'll tie a few he picks out of a book and he watches. It's nice that he is interested as that is the future of the sport. I'll get him on the bank when he's about 5, bit young yet.

David_JAFO
02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
hello,
I don't know, there's a lot of the young lads around the greater area fly fish & I know a number who tie their own, it's quite a lucrative business for them in most parts selling on their produce to both individuals & local tackle shops. Remember fly fishing/tying is an art a very useful survival tool. To catch a fish observing what they're feeding on & then re-producing a decoy/copy of such takes skill especially in something as small as a fly/lure. Young David certainly knows his stuff & is appreciated by the number of those of a similar age & older who go on fishing trips with he.
Regards
David

T^ Never thought I'd see the day when the younger generation takes up an old-fashioned, traditional hobby like that of fly fishing :). Hardly anyone ties flies these days, except the elder folk, and few enough still cast fly rods (or know how).
Best wishes to this young man :).

OakAshandThorn
02-03-2014, 04:48 PM
hello,
I don't know, there's a lot of the young lads around the greater area fly fish & I know a number who tie their own, it's quite a lucrative business for them in most parts selling on their produce to both individuals & local tackle shops. Remember fly fishing/tying is an art a very useful survival tool. To catch a fish observing what they're feeding on & then re-producing a decoy/copy of such takes skill especially in something as small as a fly/lure. Young David certainly knows his stuff & is appreciated by the number of those of a similar age & older who go on fishing trips with he.
Regards
David

True words, David...it's just a shame that so many people here shy-away from fly fishing because they say it is "too difficult". It's easier for many of them to cast their gigantic spinning rods (or even bait-cast rods) with lures the size of your fist into a small pond and expect a 14 kilo largemouth bass to jump on the hook every time their line hits the water....which just doesn't happen.
I applaud the Young Fly Fisher for his deep interest, knowledge and skill of the art - we need more lads like him in the States ;).

Game anglers tend not to be spinners I've found, course is alive and well for that sort of thing. What I've noticed though is my nephew is fascinated by it all. He's only 2 but he does nothing but sit with his aunty looking at photos of me fishing and my monthly magazines. If he's good and doesn't wind up my cats, gets too look in my fly box, or I'll tie a few he picks out of a book and he watches. It's nice that he is interested as that is the future of the sport. I'll get him on the bank when he's about 5, bit young yet.
Fly-tying is what I want to get into next...unfortunately coin is a bit short now that I quit my job (corruption in the business ownership - long story...). I have no vise, very few tools, and almost no thread or other materials (yet ;) ). But I have been very keen on watching Davie McPhail's vids on youtube ;).

Midge_Fodder
02-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Plus if you think what we put into flies all the time, we come across this stuff regularly through our bushcraft experiences. Believe it or not I make a buzzer pattern from 550. I recon on the whole we should collectively be promoting it, the more people start tying and fly fishing, even tenkara for the primitives, we could do wonders for the sport but also the skills use for us all. With a note on Davie McPhail's tying videos, I really improved my tying since watching his videos.