PDA

View Full Version : wanted small empty gas bottle

surplus 6
25-02-2014, 12:21 AM
I'm after the 3.9 kg or 4.5 kg size, calour or propane etc. I can collect within reason, Staffordshire based.
cheaper the better lol
it's for the fire pan on a waste oil burner heater I'm going to make.
let me know what you have

shack
25-02-2014, 11:19 AM
I got one for a few pounds from the local tip/recycling centre they keep em for swaps with new/ filled ones.

swkieran
25-02-2014, 12:23 PM
I got one for a few pounds from the local tip/recycling centre they keep em for swaps with new/ filled ones.

Not Newton abbot recycling centre lol,that's where I get mine lol, I have a spare one surplus but to come down to sunny Paignton just for a gas bottle seems extreme.

shack
25-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Mine came from Tiverton's 'Ashley Tip' so getting closer (very slowly)

Adam Savage
25-02-2014, 04:13 PM
I'll keep my eyes peeled. Most of the recycling centres round here won't sell, or swap gas cylinders, due to health and safety, but the local scrapyard is normally pretty keen to get rid of them.

Big T
25-02-2014, 06:57 PM
I'll keep my eyes peeled. Most of the recycling centres round here won't sell, or swap gas cylinders, due to health and safety, but the local scrapyard is normally pretty keen to get rid of them.

The scrappys down our way wont accept them at all! Think it might be a nationwide thing as there have been a few accidents with half full bottles doing into crushers etc!

Midge_Fodder
25-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I got mine from my uncles farm, most farmers will usually be happy enough to get rid of the older grotty looking ones.

Adam Savage
25-02-2014, 08:40 PM
The scrappys down our way wont accept them at all! Think it might be a nationwide thing as there have been a few accidents with half full bottles doing into crushers etc!

Yeah. Ours don't usually take them, but sometimes folk leave them in the backs of vans and things. They have a habit of loading up commercial vehicles with junk, to make the weight up a bit.

surplus 6
25-02-2014, 09:37 PM
thanks gents, I'll try the recycle places around here at the weekend.

Bernie
26-02-2014, 06:59 AM
You could try freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org) as well - that's where I got two (only one of which I've used so far; to make a BBQ that'd last more than a season).

Big T
26-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Yeah. Ours don't usually take them, but sometimes folk leave them in the backs of vans and things. They have a habit of loading up commercial vehicles with junk, to make the weight up a bit.

I wouldnt know......i`ve never done anything like that......;)

Adam Savage
26-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I wouldnt know......i`ve never done anything like that......;)

I'd imagine filling panel skins and box sections with concrete would probably work well, or at least until they discovered what you did, then you may have to skip the country or say goodbye to your legs lol

Big T
26-02-2014, 06:06 PM
I'd imagine filling panel skins and box sections with concrete would probably work well, or at least until they discovered what you did, then you may have to skip the country or say goodbye to your legs lol

We used to weigh in scrap batterys, always mde sure they were filled to the top with water! (As they should be;)) Im pretty sure if you tried it now you might have an iminant date with a car boot thats about to be crushed! lol!

surplus 6
27-02-2014, 11:50 PM
You could try freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org) as well - that's where I got two (only one of which I've used so far; to make a BBQ that'd last more than a season).
I'd forgotten about freecycle, not been on in an age

KieranBroadfield
28-02-2014, 03:02 AM

the recycling centre where I use to live stopped selling everything, they use to let you take what you want for the skips..

When we moved out of our house, we chucked a load of stuff - in the metal skip I found a nice BMX, jumped in to get it out, only to get heavily shouted at and kicked out.

Maybe he wanted it for himself...

Bernie
28-02-2014, 07:08 AM
My local tip doesn't like people taking stuff away either. I once reclaimed a few sheets of 18mm ply and made a dovecoat. An old fence panel was used to make the roof. It's in Belgium now. :)

Midge_Fodder
28-02-2014, 07:11 AM
My local tip doesn't mind so much, basically if the boss isn't in there ok with it ......... They're jobsworths but in a good way.