PDA

View Full Version : What's in your hydration kit?

Notredame11211
06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, What do you guys normally carry your water in, and also what do you usually bring to boil water in? I normally use a Nalgene with a GSI glacier cup, I also have a U.S. issue arctic canteen kit, and a Swiss M84 Canteen.
https://www.mainemilitary.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=163&idproduct=3052

Martin
06-02-2011, 11:20 PM
The Platypus pouches seem pretty popular over here, or the black Osprey army issue bottles. I have both but I'm steering towards the Platypus as it's lighter when empty and more versatile depending on how you want to carry it.

Martin

Fletching
06-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Depends where / how long I'm going for but (in total) I have:

2x NATO 58 Pattern bottles - my usual carry
Platypus 2L stashable water bottle
Karrimor 3L Sabre Tactical Hydration Pack - I have the yoke which can be used with the Sabre side pouches
Various ss and alu water bottles - which can be used for foods too (you can also heat the contents next to fire)
Millbank bag for filtration
I always boil water on my hobo stove collected from non-sterile sources after filtration

jbrown14
07-02-2011, 04:01 AM
I don't have as many water bottles as knives, but I'm getting there.
I have:
2 Nalgene 1qt widemouth bottles
2 20oz bike bottles
1 Platypus 1L collapsible bottle
1 Platypus 3L bladder with hose
1 Camelback 100oz bladder with hose
And a couple of other no-name 1qt polycarbonate bottles which leak around the cap.

I can usually find clear water where I'm hiking so filtration (for particulate matter, not purification) is not an issue (gotta love the Adirondacks...) I purify with PA Plus iodine and clarifying tabs. For heating water for cooking, I have my MSR Titan titanium kettle or for a larger group, I have a 1qt ss pot with bail handle.

P.S. I don't usually carry all of my bottles at once. Not unless I was doing a hike across some peaks where I knew I wouldn't have access to water for a day or two...

garethw
07-02-2011, 08:56 AM
For hikes I have a couple of ali water bottles. They are Sigg type from Decathlon. I also have a US canteen and cup that is useful if I want to boil some water. Its no heavier than the normal bottle and is a convenient carry.
I've tried pouch type systems, but I find the water really tastes of plastic, and in the cold the pipe freezes up so you can't get a drink.
cheers
Gareth

Ashley Cawley
07-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Not much in all honesty! - Bit of a budget water kit for me...

I have a couple of black plastic NATO 58 Pattern bottles but will only ever carry one of them, in addition to that I'll often carry water or milk in Lucozade bottles, I strip the labels off to keep & re-use them. They are surprisingly durable and come in convenient sizes of 380ml, 500ml & 1L bottles.

I prefer having 2-3 smaller bottles with me, I find it convenient for carrying in a coat pocket if I've established camp and I'm off for a walk leaving my camp & some kit behind. Also it's good to have multiple bottles for carrying un-purified/purified water.

A lot of the time I rely on being able to find a clean source of water and then just boil, I've never had any water related illnesses.

I think I will add a Millbank bag to my kit at some stage.

Ashley Cawley
07-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I have tons of water purification tablets at home but I never really use them when camping, I suppose I do carry them without realising as they weigh nothing I always keep 4 tablets in my first aid kit.

comanighttrain
07-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I usually would just drink from a clear stream in the highlands, Just got to watch out for the dead animal upstream...

Trying to get a millbank bag for other trips but the only place that sells them is endicotts and it's in exeter...

Fletching
07-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I usually would just drink from a clear stream in the highlands, Just got to watch out for the dead animal upstream...

Trying to get a millbank bag for other trips but the only place that sells them is endicotts and it's in exeter...

Phone 'em up. If they have some in stock, you'll get in a couple of days mate. The 'Super+' grade are like new.

comanighttrain
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Think I'll have to, seems a waste to ring em to send just one millbank bag...Will need to try and see if they have any other stuff that I "need" ;)

Fletching
07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Think I'll have to, seems a waste to ring em to send just one millbank bag...Will need to try and see if they have any other stuff that I "need" ;)

I feel the force is strong with this one.

JEEP
07-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I use 0,5 and 1L Tatonka stainless steel bottles. No PVC and BpA, unbreakable, lightweight - and you can boil water in them.

Realbark
07-02-2011, 05:25 PM
i have a 58 patt bottle, 2 x Jack Pyke ally bottles (400ml and 568ml or thereabouts) - one of these for day trips or similar and a 2 litre one (off fleabay) for bike camping.

Roadkillphil
07-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Millbank bag for water collection. 58 pattern water bottle for storing cooking water. Then a camelbak in a lightweight yolk for drinking, useful on its own for wanders from camp. Simples :D

Freddy
07-02-2011, 06:15 PM

You could try http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php there not on the website but I got one from the shop recently and he also had the larger millbank bag for groups. Might be worth an email or call.

I usually carry a Patt 58 bottle, crusader cup (boiling/cooking), PreMac pump, maybe a Platypus collapsible bottle and four puritabs (just in case)

shovel reccy
07-02-2011, 07:27 PM
i carry nato bottles and milbank and thats all, not many clear running water in essex.

kesom
25-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I've tried pouch type systems, but I find the water really tastes of plastic

i have a 2 ltr water bladder and have the same problem,does anyone know of a way of getting rid of the plastic taste that comes from them or does that taste just happen in the cheap ones,mine is a dark green color and the feed pipe is the same color,got it off ebay for around the tenner mark
any help would be grately appreciated
peace ken :)

Roadkillphil
26-03-2012, 06:22 AM
i have a 2 ltr water bladder and have the same problem,does anyone know of a way of getting rid of the plastic taste that comes from them or does that taste just happen in the cheap ones,mine is a dark green color and the feed pipe is the same color,got it off ebay for around the tenner mark
any help would be grately appreciated
peace ken :)

This should help

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/kit/reviews/platypus-drinking-bottle-your-questions-answered.html

although I personally have abandoned my camelpak now in favour of carrying three 0.5L aluminium bottles that can be stashed around my pack/person. The main reason for this was the high maintenance of the camelpak, plus I prefer having the versatility of smaller bottles.

Cheers

Phil

Martin
26-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Firstly, washing in a solution of bicarbonate of soda should help with eliminating the bad taste. In fact, leave a solution of bicarb' in over night and then wash out the next day. Secondly, after cleaning, store your bladder in the freezer until you need it next time. That will stop the build up of any bacteria. I do this with my Platypus bottles and they don't have any taint after well over a year.

Martin

kesom
27-03-2012, 02:47 PM
now in favour of carrying three 0.5L aluminium bottles that can be stashed around my pack/person. The main reason for this was the high maintenance of the camelpak, plus I prefer having the versatility of smaller bottles.

Cheers

Phil

cheers phil,the half litre bottles do sound like a good idea aswell,duely noted,thank you :)

Firstly, washing in a solution of bicarbonate of soda should help with eliminating the bad taste. In fact, leave a solution of bicarb' in over night and then wash out the next day. Secondly, after cleaning, store your bladder in the freezer until you need it next time. That will stop the build up of any bacteria. I do this with my Platypus bottles and they don't have any taint after well over a year.

Martin

thank you martin,i'll do that solution asap and the storage and see how i get on,hopefully it'll work on my cheap bladder like it has on yours,i'm actually surprised to hear that the platypus had any taste when new considering the price of them
anyway's thank you very much again your always great help :)

best wishes to you both,ken :)

Martin
27-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Sorry Ken, I should have made myself more clear. The Platypus didn't have any taste when it was new and, over a year later, it still doesn't. :)

Martin

kesom
27-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Sorry Ken, I should have made myself more clear. The Platypus didn't have any taste when it was new and, over a year later, it still doesn't. :)

Martin

k thank you martin :)

ken

Kernowek Scouser
27-03-2012, 07:47 PM
At the moment I favour the 58 pattern water bottle for afternoon strolls, as it fits into pockets on both of my day sacks that would otherwise be unused. For longer day hikes I usually take one (or sometimes two) 550ml ali bottles too, stuffed into webbed side pouches.

Both of my day sacks are bladder compatible and I have accumulated 2 x 1L, 3 x 2L and 1 x 3L bladders over the years. But, I only use the bladders occasionally as I find the water in them warms up fairly quickly and then stays warm all day. Also, in my experience, they are not the most robust form of hydration gear. I've had one 1L and two 2L's rupture whilst out on a wander. I can laugh about it now.

I have recently picked up a 1L and 2L Mountain Warehouse Platty knock offs and I did take the 1L out with me today for a stroll around Mount's Bay, as back up for the 58PWB, but I didn't need it.

On the few occasions when I did venture beyond the campsite and into the wild last year, I took ALOT of water with me, so filtration/purification was not an issue and I would boil water in either a Trangia kettle, a solo cook pot or my old SM Trangia billy, depending on what cook gear I had with me.

I intend to get out into the wilds a lot more this year, so I need to get up to speed on how best to treat water to make it safe to drink.

Dysentery is not my friend.

jus_young
28-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Water is stored and filtered using an Aquamira frontier pro water filter fitted to a Source 2L water bladder. This is backed up with aquaclear tablets when required. The drinking container of choice at the moment is a Camelbak Performance bottle which is clear, lightweight and has measurements marked which can be useful.

The Source bladders have no plastic taste and are constructed using an antimicrobial material. I know this works as I had the bladder in the back of a hot van for a couple of months with no problems at all. The water still smelt good when I remembered to take it out and give it a clean.

FishyFolk
12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Whatever 1,5 litre coke/soda bottle I find in the kitchen as I pack my rucksack...
Else I have one of those steel bottles and a couple of camelbak bottles that was issued to me, but I mostly let the kids have those.
Else any stream that I know have no farms up hill from me...
Or I melt snow on my GoSystems Flexi-fuel, or any other heat source I have around...

I wound one of those 2 litre water bladder Camelbak knock offs at the local Clas ohlson quite cheap The have it in the UK Clas Ohlsons as well here:
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=165108816

5.99£ is not bad a price for that. A Cemelbak bladder is probably around 20£ :-)

Old Guard
01-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Can't beat the old 58 pattern bottle, it will take all the knocks and refuses to break, unlike those damn metal/ali things, where the top breaks at the neck of the bottle and floods your pouch / sack with water / meths / whatever.