PDA

View Full Version : Pop Can Stoves

flounder_al
20-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Saw the excellent tutorial on the pop can stove (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/kit/reviews/how-to-make-a-pop-can-meths-stove.html) and thought I'd give it a go.

Do these eventually get brittle with the heat? I know they are dirty cheap to make (free if you recycle cans from work) so it's not such a problem to re-make them should one fail. But just wanted to know

Whistle
20-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Naaah ... Once you start makin'em it's addictive and you've always got the latest and hopefully best stove to try out !!!

There ... once you admit you have a problem and can talk about it you can talk about the drawer full of stoves in the shed !!!

Ha ha ha Cheers Whistle ... self confessed stove making addict

Tigger004
20-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Nice one Whistle, this forum promotes loads of things which I seem to try for no better reason than I want to. Loads of hardly used kit....lol

Rasputin
20-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Naaah ... Once you start makin'em it's addictive and you've always got the latest and hopefully best stove to try out !!!

There ... once you admit you have a problem and can talk about it you can talk about the drawer full of stoves in the shed !!!

Ha ha ha Cheers Whistle ... self confessed stove making addict

nere a truer word has been spoken, more addictive than ciggys. Ime down to 1 stove a day,lol T^

Chubbs
20-02-2014, 08:34 PM
nere a truer word has been spoken, more addictive than ciggys. Ime down to 1 stove a day,lol T^

:happy-clapping:

flounder_al
20-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Well I made one. Looks rather rough and not tried it yet though. The wife thinks I'm just being bloomin stupid. But hey if it works I can see me actually using it whilst wild camping. Just need to find a big dog food tin now to make the hobo stove from

Tony1948
20-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Just wate till you get enuff of the pop cans and start on the white box stoves:happy-clapping:1165011651

flounder_al
21-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Here's my first attempt. Bit rough but hopefully it'll work. Do I need more holes in the top?

Paul De Fitter
21-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Give it a go & find out, put ice in the water for a good test.
I've made about 8 of the buggers, big, small, with loft insulation, penny stove, monkey boy stove....arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I need help

Whistle
21-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Just wate till you get enuff of the pop cans and start on the white box stoves:happy-clapping:1165011651

Hmmmmmmmm ... but you know you're in real trouble when you start trolling round the boot fairs

looking for the hard stuff ... Oooooer ...

Bright shiney stainless steel to make wood gas burning stoves ... Big trouble ... Major Addiction !!!

Hmmmmmmm pretty swirly flames !!! Got a drawer full of these too ... smokey !!!

Cheers Whistle

Rasputin
21-02-2014, 07:27 PM
you know you're in real trouble when you start trolling round the boot fairs

looking for the hard stuff ... Oooooer ... Or buying jumbo cans of dog food and small cat food tins and you havnt got any pets, Oh the shame !

Rasputin
21-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Some nice gassers there Whistle T^

Whistle
21-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Some nice gassers there Whistle T^

Thanks Ras ... Had loads of fun makin'em ... Made a few for friends too ...

But prefer the alcohol stoves ... Quieter , no sooty pots and no stink of smoke .

Hate coming home with everything smelling smokey and black smudges everywhere !!!

Still addicted ... Cheers Whistle

midas
21-02-2014, 09:34 PM
If your looking for big "TINS/CANS,Call in your local "Greasy Spoon Sarni Shop!A lot of them use Catering size Baked Beans n Tomatos.n I'm sure they'll be only too pleased to save n give u one or two!

midas
21-02-2014, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=Whistle;108414

But prefer the alcohol stoves ... Quieter , no sooty pots and no stink of smoke .

I like the spirit stoves too,whistle,But must confess!!my favourite is the double coil......n the ROAR it makes.lol!
Fast boiler,n very economical.!!!

Tigger004
22-02-2014, 08:55 AM
I hate the soot ( a smear of washing up liquid before hand helps a lot though) but I adore the wood smoke smell, I'd love an open fire at home, but I don't have a chimney....lol

Rasputin
22-02-2014, 12:50 PM
If I dont come home stinking of smoke my swmbo would think Ive been up to summat, but I love a proper fire and yup a smidge of w u liquid helps the cleaning. But different strokes etc :campfire:

Tigger004
22-02-2014, 01:21 PM
If I dont come home stinking of smoke my swmbo would think Ive been up to summat, but I love a proper fire and yup a smidge of w u liquid helps the cleaning. But different strokes etc :campfire:

:happy-clapping:

Rasputin
22-02-2014, 02:13 PM
If your looking for big "TINS/CANS,Call in your local "Greasy Spoon Sarni Shop!A lot of them use Catering size Baked Beans n Tomatos.n I'm sure they'll be only too pleased to save n give u one or two!

Yay, I've used those to make the big hobo stove but its the tall dog food tins that I had a fetish on, I think Ive grown out of it now. Ime into axe and volcano stoves these days

flounder_al
22-02-2014, 08:29 PM
A hobo stove is my next thing to make. But back onto the pop can stove for a second..... Can I burn turps in them as well as meths?

Rasputin
22-02-2014, 08:59 PM
A hobo stove is my next thing to make. But back onto the pop can stove for a second..... Can I burn turps in them as well as meths?

no

Whistle
22-02-2014, 09:12 PM

NO NO NO !!! That would be extremely dangerous !!!

You can use Meths , Industrial Metholated Spirit (IMS) ,

At a push you can use Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)

but as "rubbing alcohol" you may not be able to find it in a concentration that burns well ...

Hell you can use cheap Polish Vodka if you can afford it !!!

but please DO NOT use any volatile that is not called alcohol of some description !!!

YOUR STOVE MAY EXPLODE !!! Or it may flare up uncontrollably ... very dangerous!!!

At the very least , burning many petroleum volatiles will produce evil smelling and

potentially carcinogenic vapours and by products !!!

Not a good thing to have around food and drink in any respect

and may taint the food or drink to render it unpalatable !!!

Take care !!! Cheers Whistle

flounder_al
22-02-2014, 10:56 PM
Cheers guys. Never burned turps before so didn't know about it.

Only ever used gas, meths and hexamine

Midge_Fodder
23-02-2014, 03:05 PM
NO NO NO !!! That would be extremely dangerous !!!

You can use Meths , Industrial Metholated Spirit (IMS) ,

At a push you can use Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)

but as "rubbing alcohol" you may not be able to find it in a concentration that burns well ...

Hell you can use cheap Polish Vodka if you can afford it !!!

but please DO NOT use any volatile that is not called alcohol of some description !!!

YOUR STOVE MAY EXPLODE !!! Or it may flare up uncontrollably ... very dangerous!!!

At the very least , burning many petroleum volatiles will produce evil smelling and

potentially carcinogenic vapours and by products !!!

Not a good thing to have around food and drink in any respect

and may taint the food or drink to render it unpalatable !!!

Take care !!! Cheers Whistle

Aye just smell a zippo burning and you've hit the nail on the head.

SimonB
25-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Surgical spirit is good if you can afford it.... As a back up of course.

Turps,white spirit,lighter fuel, coleman fuel, parafin,petrol.... Nooooooooo...

bartonboy
02-03-2014, 06:50 PM
If you have the time and patience to build this then its worth it's weight in gold. boil's 500ml of water in 5 and a half mins using 23ml of meth's. very compact tornado wick stove.11783

SimonB
03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
It's a true record when used in a controlled environment...

But out in the elements, them results are not going to happen.. I used a pop can meths burner, and even with a windshield, It used considerably MORE fuel than it did in the shed, and took longer to boil water.

My wood gas stove I built I took straight outside to use, and it did what I expected... Boiled a liter of water in roughly 8 mins, and kept going on 2 handfulls of pellets for about 40 minutes afterwards..

The open is where you will get genuine results...

midas
03-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Spirit stoves need a wind free sheltered area,to work well.But Rocket Stoves,wood gas burning stoves.burn better if there is a wind or breeze.Horses for courses!!!!You can't use your woodburners indoors.but gas n spirit are ideal for "indoors!

jus_young
03-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Spirit stoves need a wind free sheltered area,to work well.But Rocket Stoves,wood gas burning stoves.burn better if there is a wind or breeze.Horses for courses!!!!You can't use your woodburners indoors.but gas n spirit are ideal for "indoors!

Just to clarify before someone takes it too literally, not in confined spaces please!

Midge_Fodder
03-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Aye suitable ventilation is needed

Tigger004
03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
And don't use it in a flammable liquids store room, sorry couldn't resist this, I have a tester which costs £3000 and the instructions say don't use as a hammer or under water !!! World gone potty

jus_young
03-03-2014, 07:44 PM
The world of litigation...

Midge_Fodder
03-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I once got put on a course ....... How to dig a hole, no joke they told us what a spade was. Clearly there will be some eejits that we just saved from a Darwin Award. Oh well that's my good deed for the day.

midas
04-03-2014, 11:51 AM
I once got put on a course ....... How to dig a hole, no joke they told us what a spade was. Clearly there will be some eejits that we just saved from a Darwin Award. Oh well that's my good deed for the day.
Unbelievable!Were you supposed to stick your head in the hole when you'd dug it?????lol

Midge_Fodder
04-03-2014, 12:00 PM
It was just a 2.5' deep hole, for burying mains water pipes. Seriously though litigation is a joke now, people suing for their own stupidity.