PDA

View Full Version : What is the BEST bit of kit you have ever bought?

Fletching
04-02-2011, 07:17 AM
To go with the 'worst' thread, let's have your opinions on the best for the money.

I'll kick off with Exped dry bags.

Usually just forgotten about after you buy them, but you look at them every time you get your kit out, usually not noticing them.

Value for money and very well made in my book. I've got most of the sizes except the really large one (had to have a Karrimor SF dry bag to go with my Sabre SF, 'coz I'm worth it.)

Steve

feebullet
04-02-2011, 07:44 AM
best bit of kit I have ever purchased is a yo yo automatic fishing reel (got a dozen actually) they work well, serve multiple purposes and are great presents for friends! (when you forget birthdays etc)

chris grace
04-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Petzl e+lite.

Never let me down and gives plenty of light to see what I'm doing.I has a couple of different settings too.

comanighttrain
04-02-2011, 08:08 AM
http://www.survival-school.org/Default.aspx?tabid=246&txtSearch=Voyager%20Lite%20Sleeping%20Bag&List=0&ProductID=184&gclid=CLD-g-CS7qYCFY9O4QodTWBEEw - Voyager Lite Sleeping bag. First thing I bought. Cheap and goes down to -2 alrightely. Definetely the most used piece of kit. Soon to be replaced but will be on standby!

Humakt
04-02-2011, 09:52 AM
A £1.50 frying pan I bought in Wilkinsons ages ago. I replaced the placcy handle with a wooden one.
Me and that little fella have been through a lot together, and he's still going strong.

Fletching
04-02-2011, 10:08 AM
A £1.50 frying pan I bought in Wilkinsons ages ago. I replaced the placcy handle with a wooden one.
Me and that little fella have been through a lot together, and he's still going strong.

I've got something very similar Humakt. Much better than these 'camping' frying pans with cheap wire folding handles IMHO.

Steve

Martin
04-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Hmmm, either my Terra Nova Laser Tent, my Osprey Exos 58 rucksack or my Thermarest Neoair sleep mat. All of them keep me comfortable in varying degrees at different parts of the day. So difficult to choose on from the other.

Then again, the MSR Pocket Rocket stove is also very good. :(

Martin

JEEP
04-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Strömeng 8" Leuku

jbrown14
04-02-2011, 04:44 PM
MSR Titan Titanium Kettle. Weighs almost nothing, holds a little less than a litre of water, easy-pour spout. Just enough for dinner and a hot drink for me. Since it's titanium, it's nearly bomb-proof too. One minor draw-back, it can't be suspended above a fire, but I only use it for boiling water anyway, so I don't really mind the limitation.

I just re-read Martin's post. I have the Pocket Rocket also, and I love that little stove! I usually use Jetboil canisters with it to save a little space.

Josh

Hathor
07-02-2011, 06:04 AM
I am a big fan of Rohan stuff (not cheap even in sales) - no connection to seller, etc. but I reckon I should get a discount given how much of tieir gear missus and I have bought.

I work in a hot stuffy environment so the Rohan Essential trousers are a must for me. Not bad for hiking in either. I pretty much wear them all year around except when the temperature gets below zero.

Fletching
07-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Hmmm, either my Terra Nova Laser Tent, my Osprey Exos 58 rucksack or my Thermarest Neoair sleep mat...MSR Pocket Rocket stove is also very good. :(

Martin

Erm, maybe I should just refer back to the thread 'Shiny Kit Syndrome', and list all of the contents! ;)

Martin
07-02-2011, 07:20 AM
:ashamed:

Martin ;)

Matt
13-02-2011, 08:15 PM
I think I can safely say it's the honey stove, only received it on Friday but managed to use it in ernest last night and this morning...lovin' it :)

Matt.

IBrown
13-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Hmmm, either my Terra Nova Laser Tent, my Osprey Exos 58 rucksack or my Thermarest Neoair sleep mat. All of them keep me comfortable in varying degrees at different parts of the day. So difficult to choose on from the other.

Then again, the MSR Pocket Rocket stove is also very good. :(

Martin

I think he meant BIT of kit not your whole rucksack contents, Martin.

I have only just started Bushcrafting so I would say my £8.95 Mora knife..You can't go wrong with a knife..

Matt
13-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I think he meant BIT of kit not your whole rucksack contents, Martin.

Martin does class a whole rucksack full as one item ;)

Celt_Ginger
15-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Probably my Falkniven DC4 sharpener, though I am fond of my Exped Synmat for a good night's sleep.

Allthegear-noidea
15-02-2011, 08:37 PM
As a fresh as the morning dew noobie, I'd like to start off by saying hello.

Back on topic,
I'd have to say my fav bit of kit is my pattern 58 sleeping bag which has kept me toastie on many a frosty night over the years. Or my khukuri- it's a firewood machine that is a joy to use.

Martin
15-02-2011, 08:40 PM
As a fresh as the morning dew noobie, I'd like to start off by saying hello.

Back on topic,
I'd have to say my fav bit of kit is my pattern 58 sleeping bag which has kept me toastie on many a frosty night over the years. Or my khukuri- it's a firewood machine that is a joy to use.

Welcome Allthegear. Let's hope you will be changing your user name after you've been in here for a few days. :)

Martin

Fletching
15-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Allthegear!

Steve

Freddy
15-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I think for me it would have to be my 'crusader cup/cooking pot/bowl/hammer' I keep trying different options but always seem to come back to it.

luresalive
15-02-2011, 09:53 PM
mora 510 ( red handled version!)

Fletching
15-02-2011, 10:07 PM
mora 510 ( red handled version!)

Red? Red? Where'd do you get a red version? I've only got green. Jakob...help!!!

JEEP
16-02-2011, 06:19 AM
To my knowledge, the only version of the only version of the 510 still available, is the green one sold by Woodlore. Officially the 510 went out of production in 2009.

The 511, with the finger guard should still be available though.

MartiniDave
16-02-2011, 07:40 AM
I'd have to say my Laplander saw, based on how much use it gets and how relatives are always wanting to "just borrow" it (that's why I have 2, an older one that I've resharpened that gets lent, and my new one that only I know where it is!

Dave

JEEP
16-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I asked my supplier about a red 510 today, he'll look into it and get back to me.

chris grace
16-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I've changed my mind.
My best bi of kit is now my evernew solo cookset and burner with dx stand.
It's the best bit of kit because it's used on every trip out even short walks with the dog in the park.
I does what it says on the tin and does it very well.

Allthegear-noidea
16-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope to learn more and need less as I go along. Doesn't help that I have a severe case of SKS: "My name is Mus, and I have a problem."

Shewie
16-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Best bit of kit I've bought is probably the noo ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/Shewie01/DSC01909.jpg

In the two years that I've been paddling I've been to places I would never have seen otherwise.

Got some favourites too like the Blackbird hammock, the Bushbuddy and my new chopper :)

Matt
17-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Got some favourites too like the Blackbird hammock, the Bushbuddy and my new chopper :)

Hey Rich, did you source your Blackbird in this country or have to import it?

Matt.

Shewie
17-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Hey Rich, did you source your Blackbird in this country or have to import it?

Matt.

I bought it off a pal up in Scotland who was switching to a bridge hammock, I'd say they're worth the import duties though

Matt
17-02-2011, 07:43 AM
I bought it off a pal up in Scotland who was switching to a bridge hammock, I'd say they're worth the import duties though

I was toying with the idea of getting the traveller, more research required me thinks. I do also have inlaws travelling the States at the mo, due back in March:wink:.

Regards, Matt.

luresalive
17-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Red? Red? Where'd do you get a red version? I've only got green. Jakob...help!!!

Afraid, the red handled version is the original version , I bought them quite a few years ago in case they were ever discontinued ( and looks like foresight is a handy thing to have!) .

The Joker
17-02-2011, 08:14 AM
For me I would have to say my Laptop, cause I wouldn't have met my Shrafting buddies:camping: without it;)

Adam Savage
10-03-2011, 07:03 PM
best bit of kit I have is my Swedish army mess tins, the ones normally used with the trangia stoves. It goes everywhere with me and has had heavy use for the last 10 years or more. Still bright inside and green(ish) on the outside. contains my hexystove, vas cotton wool, windproof matches, 2 x sporks, wire wool, firesteel, 24 extra fuel tablets (on top of the 24 inside the stove) and brew kit. All the essentials :)

J_P
10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
For me I would have to say my Laptop, cause I wouldn't have met my Shrafting buddies:camping: without it;)

:rock-on: ;)

fish
10-03-2011, 07:38 PM
best has to be my snugpack antartica2 sleeping bag ,and my berghause crusader vulcan2 ruck.

JEEP
17-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I asked my supplier about a red 510 today, he'll look into it and get back to me.

Got word from our Mora supplier today. The 510, red or blue handle, is unfortunally gone. The only posability is to get the special Ray Mears version with the green handle.

Fletching
17-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Got word from our Mora supplier today. The 510, red or blue handle, is unfortunally gone. The only posability is to get the special Ray Mears version with the green handle.

Thanks for checking Jakob. Got the RM one (already broken it. But fixed it again.). Green's sooo common. Pity. :)

Adam Savage
17-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Am I right in thinking the 511 is the same knife but with the guard? Or am I completely wrong?

klause
18-03-2011, 01:21 AM
My Paul Baker knife and my 'Silky Gomtaro' saw, both are just a pleasure to use...

JEEP
18-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Am I right in thinking the 511 is the same knife but with the guard? Or am I completely wrong?

You are quite right.

RobbC
31-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Well, now i must say that it is my newly purchased Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe, its braw!

Robb

Adam Savage
31-03-2011, 08:27 PM
You are quite right.

would it not be acceptable to purchase the 511 and machine down the guard? or is that cheating? haha

Roadkillphil
31-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Mead :D

Ben Casey
31-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Mead :D

Need a trip to Holy Island I think :)

absw
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Folding chair for a tenner

wescobts
04-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I'm a newb and wanna play along too :)

I bought this stainless steel cup, no name, can't even remember where I got it. It has saved my bacon more times than I can think of. Coffee in the A.M. to ramen noodles at lunch, to desert after dinner in the eve. I have many expensive piece of gear, but this one is by far the best.

Ben Casey
04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I remember the days we used to acquire kit :D

cuppa joe
04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Carinthia defence 4 sleeping bag...heavy ...at 2kg but really comfy bag and ive never been cold in it so well worth the carry,waterproof compression sack means i can carry outside my pack..... but most of all it cost me £15... brand new ...at the time it retailed at over £200.

LandRoverMatt
04-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Either my hammock and tarp.

Woodwose
05-12-2011, 12:49 PM
My best bit of kit was the Blacks highlander sleeping bag I bought in the early eighties. It was a huge step up from the rectangular polyester thing I used.
I'm sure most have experiences with them. Know matter how far or hard you pulled the zip up, as if by magic it would unzip itself during the night. If you where brave enough to sleep sockless there was also the aded joy of your toenail getting caught and clicking it.

Anyway that highlander had a cotton inner, nylon outer and was mummy shaped with a hood, came in it's own stuffsack, it was fantastic. It went all over with me.
It fell off the back of my motorbike at some speed and survived intact. I bought a new 4 season bag from blacks a few years ago but the memory of that first proper sleeping bag will never be fogotten.

johnrogers
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Well, I can say safely that the gear I like best is the gear that stays with me (the rest tends to be jetisoned along the way) and I have had the same boots on my feet, in the bush, for about 4 years now. They were made by Rocky Boot and look a lot like this, only in woodland camo

http://72.32.151.174/ProductImages/rocky/large/8840.jpg

Lots miles and some really cold and wet days and still kickin.

Metal mug
06-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Clothes? :D

Al21
06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Really hard to choose. I started thinking it was my khukuri, but then thought no, it's my Captain Currey clasp knife. You know though, my dutch oven is very dear to my stomach though so maybe that should get my vote. Our canoe 'Jus' Chillin' has taken us places and given us so much pleasure it would probably get my ultimate vote, but it's not really a single item and doesn't work without paddles, pole etc. So in all honesty I can't offer you a best. No I'll change my mind again and say the clasp knife again as that was my fathers and brings back memories of him everytime I use it.

Al

Dan XF
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM
My Buffalo Mountain Shirt. It's designed to be worn next to the skin and is a synthetic version of an Innuit sealskin jacket. It has side vents and a top half length zip, a map pocket and a pile lined hand warmer pocket. It stays warm when it's wet and keeps your skin dry in the worst of weathers. In the worst downpour I've taken it off, rung it out and put it back on again. I've worn it on river crossings as I know it will be warm when I get out of the water without having to change. Undo all the zips to cool down when you're working hard and do all the zips up to stay warm when you're resting. It is the most versatile bit of clothing on the market and worn as designed (no t shirt underneath) It might well save your life. I think mine was free when I was in the forces but it is still with me after 20+ years and looks a little tatty but still does the job. I ended up working for Cotswold 17 years ago and we used to sell loads of them. I think they were about £60. People would come in looking for a base layer, fleece and goretex combo with a budget of £250 and walk out with a lot of money in their pockets and a fantastic item of clothing. We would then end up selling them to their outdoor mates a few weeks later. Wouldn't be without mine now. I might even put my hand in my pocket and pay good money for a new one in a few years. If mine ever wears out that is.

Adam Savage
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
My Buffalo Mountain Shirt. It's designed to be worn next to the skin and is a synthetic version of an Innuit sealskin jacket. It has side vents and a top half length zip, a map pocket and a pile lined hand warmer pocket. It stays warm when it's wet and keeps your skin dry in the worst of weathers. In the worst downpour I've taken it off, rung it out and put it back on again. I've worn it on river crossings as I know it will be warm when I get out of the water without having to change. Undo all the zips to cool down when you're working hard and do all the zips up to stay warm when you're resting. It is the most versatile bit of clothing on the market and worn as designed (no t shirt underneath) It might well save your life. I think mine was free when I was in the forces but it is still with me after 20+ years and looks a little tatty but still does the job. I ended up working for Cotswold 17 years ago and we used to sell loads of them. I think they were about £60. People would come in looking for a base layer, fleece and goretex combo with a budget of £250 and walk out with a lot of money in their pockets and a fantastic item of clothing. We would then end up selling them to their outdoor mates a few weeks later. Wouldn't be without mine now. I might even put my hand in my pocket and pay good money for a new one in a few years. If mine ever wears out that is.

Sounds like a fantastic bit of kit. Nicely explained, as to why, too.
Thanks for sharing :)

Adam

LSKnives
30-03-2012, 09:25 PM
GSI Halulite Tea Kettle.

allthatjazz
30-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Mora 510 Ray Mears edition. I've always been a fan of Ray and a fan of Mora knives. I was lucky enough to have bought the knife from the very last batch, because afterwards it disappeared from the site.

Bambii
30-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Mora 510 Ray Mears edition. I've always been a fan of Ray and a fan of Mora knives. I was lucky enough to have bought the knife from the very last batch, because afterwards it disappeared from the site.

You lucky dog you. That knife got discontinued I think, they released the same knife with a finger guard though

Pab101
31-03-2012, 05:43 PM
the mora 510 raymears are good i have one from the last batch to, however i think my best peice of kit is my oleman dual fuel exponent cooker great little cooker and kicks out a shed load of heat and used to be cheap to run.

FishyFolk
09-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I nominate my Jerven Fjellduken Thermo Hunter. It's a bivvy bag/sleeping bag, tarp, poncho, survival bag, etc all in one.
I first used it in the army, and I just had to have one when that life was over.
I have used it from Arctic Norway to tropical Sri lanka and Thailand, via the desserts of the Sudan and the mountains of Erithrea, and it's still as good as when I purchased it!

Read more about it here:
https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7357/

andy t
09-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm a bit of a stove and cookset nut so i've bought loads over the years looking for THE set up for me. I think i may have just got about as close as i'm going to get. It's a honey stove with a Czech army mess set. Ok the pans are a touch on the heavy side but it is possible to cook with the three of them stacked on top of one another should i need to and they do fit the honey stove very well, especially the small one and at £7 delivered you cant moan at the price.

Kernowek Scouser
09-04-2012, 07:51 PM
At the moment, I'm going to vote for my Czech army bed roll. It is a bit of a bugger to carry, but I had a great nights kip in it, which is fairly important when you are sleeping outdoors.

LSKnives
09-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Im going to have to grab one of those to add to my kit. I saw them when they first came out and they didnt look that great.

LSKnives
09-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Andy T can you post your source? All Ive been able to find is Honey stoves for 38GBP. Seems pricey.

jus_young
09-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Andy T can you post your source? All Ive been able to find is Honey stoves for 38GBP. Seems pricey.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product397.asp?PageID=118

Thats the makers site and probably the best price unless its second hand. The prices stated in the thread relate to the mess kit.

LSKnives
09-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks jus.

comanighttrain
10-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I was just thinking today how good a service this jacket has given me - http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/249/s/belay-advance-jacket/category/15/

Wind, rain hail and snow, at camp, on the hill or in town it has always done a great job.

For the money it really is a great jacket.

KaiTheIronHound
15-04-2012, 01:48 PM
For now, i reckon the oilskin jacket i recently picked up second hand for about 20 aussie dollars at an op shop... Thing had been looked after well, was still waxed and waterproof, so i reckon she's a pretty good score.

Adam Savage
15-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I've decided to update my "best bit of kit", to my Karrimor Hot 30 (around 12 years old now), which is with me almost every trip. With the addition of two rocket pouches, it far exceeds the usefulness of any other pack I have seen/tried/used/purchased. Perfect shape and capacity, perfect balance, very comfy, incredibly tough, and not too heavy on it's own. :)

Martin
15-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I think I may just have found the holy grail of sleep mats!! I know we've heard it all before but I have just had a night out in my tent on Dartmoor and slept warm and comfortable all night long, except when I had to get up for a pee which I can't blame on the mat but must blame on the two pints of Tribute I drank earlier in the night. Anyway, I digress!!

Earlier this year, I bought a Thermarest Prolite 4 from GlenM in his kit clearout sale and last night was the first chance I've had to use it on the floor, as it was intended to be used. Now, these mats aren't cheap although I got it for a fair price from Glen, but for the money I really had a great night's sleep. I didn't touch the ground through the mat, I remained comfortable warm all night long and I didn't wake up with any aches or pains. In fact, I was fresher this morning than when I wake up in bed from time to time.

Anyway, if you are in the market for a new sleep mat, or you are struggling to find the right mat for you, I can't recommend the Thermarest Prolight 4 highly enough.

Martin

FishyFolk
15-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I think I may just have found the holy grail of sleep mats!! I know we've heard it all before but I have just had a night out in my tent on Dartmoor and slept warm and comfortable all night long, except when I had to get up for a pee which I can't blame on the mat but must blame on the two pints of Tribute I drank earlier in the night. Anyway, I digress!!

Earlier this year, I bought a Thermarest Prolite 4 from GlenM in his kit clearout sale and last night was the first chance I've had to use it on the floor, as it was intended to be used. Now, these mats aren't cheap although I got it for a fair price from Glen, but for the money I really had a great night's sleep. I didn't touch the ground through the mat, I remained comfortable warm all night long and I didn't wake up with any aches or pains. In fact, I was fresher this morning than when I wake up in bed from time to time.

Anyway, if you are in the market for a new sleep mat, or you are struggling to find the right mat for you, I can't recommend the Thermarest Prolight 4 highly enough.

Martin

All the self inflating sleeping mats I have ever had stopped doing that after a short time (Ajungilak and a few others). Let us know how this one gets along as it sees use :-)

Adam Savage
15-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Martin

I have an exped downmat 7 on it's way, is that a wrong choice to make then? Have you used an exped downmat? :)

Martin
15-04-2012, 09:09 PM
I have an exped downmat 7 on it's way, is that a wrong choice to make then? Have you used an exped downmat? :)

No Adam, I haven't used an Exped Downmat7 which I believe is 7cm thick? However, the Thermarest is also classed as a four season mat and it very very light in its class. I'm sure haven't made the wrong choice but I really did get a fantastic night's sleep last night. My Thermarest Neoair is going up for sale in the very near future.

Martin

Adam Savage
15-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Ahhh, I shall have to test it thoroughly when it arrives. I might have to lend it to you for a night, so you can compare :)

jus_young
15-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Ahhh, I shall have to test it thoroughly when it arrives. I might have to lend it to you for a night, so you can compare :)

At least it will give you another reason for popping back to the SW eh ;)

Adam Savage
15-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Of course lol

Roadkillphil
16-04-2012, 05:42 AM
I was just thinking today how good a service this jacket has given me - http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/249/s/belay-advance-jacket/category/15/

Wind, rain hail and snow, at camp, on the hill or in town it has always done a great job.

For the money it really is a great jacket.

I concur, I've used these jackets a lot as the adventure centre I do weekend work for uses Keela products. I borrowed a belay jacket a coupla winters ago and it even kept me toasty when it was soaked through with rain. I also have a Keela Sonic waterproof jacket and for the price it is fantastic. Unfortunately I've broken the zip on my sonic :(