PDA

View Full Version : Would like to put some names to My Bimble

Sylvanbilly
06-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi all
Went for a lovely walk this morning with my gun dog, and came across some fungi I didn't know, and I had to head off to work before I could reference my garage library, can anyone tell me the names of the following and any interesting facts about them if there is please?
Kind regards
Bill

saxonaxe
06-02-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm not too well up on fungi Bill, but those in photos 3&4 (from the left) could be Coriolus, I only remember those because the names easy and they're really quite common. Shades of colouring vary depending on local conditions so not 100% certain, but they look familiar.

Adam Savage
06-02-2014, 09:14 PM
I'd be tempted to agree with saxonaxe on 3,4, and 5. We call it turkey tail round my way. The colours can vary a lot, but most of the ones I've seen are similar to those.

Again, no idea what the first two pics are of. Thought maybe chicken of the woods, as that can grow in all shapes, but still doesn't look right for that :confused:

Sylvanbilly
06-02-2014, 10:51 PM
I've not posted a very good picture but the taptalk I am using somehow made the pictures very small, anyhow, the last mushroom is called Sparassis crispa (cauliflower fungus) after searching came across this recipe
http://www.medicalmushrooms.net/sparassis-crispa/
And this
http://siegurdnl.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/recipe-cauliflower-fungus-on-toast.html?m=1

Going back tomorrow for a double check, interesting!!

Sylvanbilly
06-02-2014, 10:53 PM
O and some better photos i hope,
Thanks for your replies guys

Adam Savage
06-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Now you say, it does definitely look like cauliflower fungus :)

Mouse040
07-02-2014, 10:28 AM
The first is sparassis-crispa (cauliflower fungi ) the second is Auricularia auricula-judae (Jews ear ) the third and forth are Trametes versicolor(The Turkey Tail) which can be varied in colour depending on age and water content .
Cauliflower and Jews ear are edible as a food source and the turkey tail can be processed in tea and used a immune system Enhancer .

What confuses me is that you have a pic of cauliflower fungi now was this some time ago as I've never found it past late November and quite frankly it shouldn't be there ??

Sylvanbilly
07-02-2014, 10:51 AM
The first is sparassis-crispa (cauliflower fungi ) the second is Auricularia auricula-judae (Jews ear ) the third and forth are Trametes versicolor(The Turkey Tail) which can be varied in colour depending on age and water content .
Cauliflower and Jews ear are edible as a food source and the turkey tail can be processed in tea and used a immune system Enhancer .

What confuses me is that you have a pic of cauliflower fungi now was this some time ago as I've never found it past late November and quite frankly it shouldn't be there ??

Exellant!! Thanks mouse
The picture was taken yesterday and it was growing at the bottom of this tree1132511326
When you say that the other fungi can be used as a tea, would it be the same process as in nettle tea, steeping the fungi in a gauze container? And drinking the liquid?
Kind regards
Bill

Mouse040
07-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Bizzare the habitat is exactly right for cauliflower nice find ,
As regards to the Turkey tail 2-3 grams a couple times a day this is dried and powdered before use as with most fungi used in medicine they work as a preventative not a cure so require continued use not a dose after you feel your already ill .

Midge_Fodder
23-02-2014, 07:02 PM
I really am interested in fungi but it's not my best subject.