PDA

View Full Version : Canoe Khazi

-Tim-
04-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Canoe khazi

I have been asked a few times by people who don't wild camp and sometimes by people who don't camp at all:-

"What do you do about the loo?"

For those that venture out and away from commercial campsites they should all be aware of the toilet etiquette out there so I will skip the do's and don'ts. But will expose you (sorry, I couldn’t help the pun) to a “gadget” I have made to make life a little more comfortable when canoeing out in the sticks on a multi-nighter.

In our country finding somewhere 200ft away from a water course AND be private enough to "do your business" can be few and very far between. OR it may well be a very unpleasant night to go wandering out searching for a spot to claim as your (thr)own. (again sorry).

My gadget is........ *Fanfare time* the Canoe Khazi.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/p480x480/15123_630206580349248_15739120_n.jpg

This basically, is a food waste tub that can be bought from any decent DIY store or supermarket. Inside the tub are the bags that come with tub, a decent trowel, some nappy sacks, a couple of packets of tissue stashed in a sealed waterproof bag and some antiseptic hand wash.

If you find this subject a little off putting, read no further.

How to use it.....

Find an area that is private, place the plastic bag inside the tub and.....well I don't need to explain anymore do I?

It’s still not an elegant procedure, but it sure beats the hell out of been stung by nettles.....I should know!

Ok, now to find a suitable spot and dig a hole with the trowel, then empty the contents and only the contents into said hole, the waste bag and tissue you can either burn them completely or place in a nappy sack and then drop it into the main rubbish bag for disposal.

Or........ if there is nowhere to dig, simply drop it into a nappy sack for disposal later, let's be honest that shouldn't be an issue because that’s what they are designed for.

I hope that’s answered a few questions on this rather messy subject.

Cheers
Tim.

NorthernYeti
04-02-2014, 04:27 PM
lmfao i have one of those for our food recycling ;) soi guess you are recycling "food waste" in a manner of speaking ;:wink:

-Tim-
04-02-2014, 07:23 PM
lmfao i have one of those for our food recycling ;) soi guess you are recycling "food waste" in a manner of speaking ;:wink:

Of sorts, I guess :happy-clapping:

Cheers
Tim

Bernie
04-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Nice to see a subject often avoided addressed so clearly. T^

midas
04-02-2014, 11:26 PM
Very informative!certainlly got to the bottom of the subject!!

-Tim-
05-02-2014, 04:18 PM
It was proved very VERY useful when camping next to Loch Shiel in the Highlands in January! A poo-nami was brewing in the middle of a hoolie, as it happends I have a big enough porch space in/on my tent for me to ahem.... perform without going out in the cold and wet.

Oh yeah an on-suite in my tent!

Cheers
Tim

Ashley Cawley
05-02-2014, 10:33 PM
lol... I'm sure Tim just posted that to fire off some cheesy puns! :p Thanks for posting.

I'm sure if we did a 3 day - 6 item challenge Martin would probably take the items in Tim's picture! :rolleyes:

JonnyP
05-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Is this for real..?
You go out n buy some plastic tat (that will eventually end up in landfill) just to have a poo in..? What do you also take along to hang the loo roll on..?
Come on Tim, all you need is a stick, (or if you want to take a gadget, a trowel) so you can dig a small scrape to off load into in your "private place"..
You cannot beat having a crap out in the wild.. You do not need some plastic tub..

-Tim-
06-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Is this for real..?
You go out n buy some plastic tat (that will eventually end up in landfill) just to have a poo in..? What do you also take along to hang the loo roll on..?
Come on Tim, all you need is a stick, (or if you want to take a gadget, a trowel) so you can dig a small scrape to off load into in your "private place"..
You cannot beat having a crap out in the wild.. You do not need some plastic tub..

You seem to have missed the point!

I use this whilst canoe tripping in this country, journeying down rivers or along lochs, do I have to remind you that these waterways often are accompanied by civilization and the trappings that go with it, with fragile access issues, we have to be very careful not to upset land owners and NIMBY's.
We don't all have the luxury of a vast amount of wilderness nor private woodland that we have permission to use.
keeping the camping area and water courses clean when "out there" is a bit of a priority in my books, i don't think it is best practice to "drop a log" under an inch or so of soil any where you can, better to "ship out" the waste than potentially spoil the immediate vicinity.

In the States there are national parks where all human waste has to be taken out so not to damage the fragile environment.

Would you be prepared to send them a condescending message?

So the question I have to ask you, are you for real?

Tim :mad:

As for using waste bins provided by local councils, where is the problem with that?

midas
06-02-2014, 02:14 PM
If one is encouraged to place ones dogs poo,in bags n "Bin it",I dont see why humans can't do the same!?!?

Tigger004
06-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Someones opinion is always right to them, we only read the posts and make of it what we do... replies are always welcome but respect / civility costs nothing.

I see both sides and the area dictates the actions.... :innocent:

JonnyP
06-02-2014, 08:41 PM
You seem to have missed the point!

I use this whilst canoe tripping in this country, journeying down rivers or along lochs, do I have to remind you that these waterways often are accompanied by civilization and the trappings that go with it, with fragile access issues, we have to be very careful not to upset land owners and NIMBY's.
We don't all have the luxury of a vast amount of wilderness nor private woodland that we have permission to use.
keeping the camping area and water courses clean when "out there" is a bit of a priority in my books, i don't think it is best practice to "drop a log" under an inch or so of soil any where you can, better to "ship out" the waste than potentially spoil the immediate vicinity.

In the States there are national parks where all human waste has to be taken out so not to damage the fragile environment.

Would you be prepared to send them a condescending message?

So the question I have to ask you, are you for real?

Tim :mad:

As for using waste bins provided by local councils, where is the problem with that?

I am not missing the point at all Tim. I just cannot understand why you are making more of an effort out of something that is so simple. faeces buried in the top soil will soon break down and then fertilise the ground bringing new life. Crapping in plastic bags in plastic tubs is just not needed and will take much longer to break down.
I assume you are disappearing into some wooded area to sit on your potty, so nobody will see you..? So why not just dig a scrape n bury your poo and cover it back up so nature can take care of it..? Its a very natural thing to do and very much in the spirit of Bushcraft as it leaves no trace.
If you are worried about clean water sources n camp sites, I would suggest you use less plastic and stop encouraging others to use more of it. This society is using way too much plastic as it is, n its all gonna come back as problems in future..

Adam Savage
06-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I see what Jonny is saying about the plastic bags, but I think those "poop" bags are designed to break down pretty quickly. Could be wrong though.

If you wanted a little more luxury for your scrape/hole in the ground, without any bags at all, you could use something like this. I made it a couple years ago, and it's seen action a couple times at local meets. Doesn't get a huge amount of use though, normally just stick to a simple scrape.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0235.jpg (http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/crazysaint22/media/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0235.jpg.html)

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0234.jpg (http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/crazysaint22/media/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0234.jpg.html)

It's basically the frame from a folding stool (the stool you sit on ;) ), and a two piece toilet seat. Since the first outing, the lid part of the seat has been removed, as it tends to tip bag when you get up otherwise lol.

BJ
06-02-2014, 09:27 PM
I see what Jonny is saying about the plastic bags, but I think those "poop" bags are designed to break down pretty quickly. Could be wrong though.

If you wanted a little more luxury for your scrape/hole in the ground, without any bags at all, you could use something like this. I made it a couple years ago, and it's seen action a couple times at local meets. Doesn't get a huge amount of use though, normally just stick to a simple scrape.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0235.jpg (http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/crazysaint22/media/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0235.jpg.html)

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/crazysaint22/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0234.jpg (http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/crazysaint22/media/bushcraft%20locations/oddballs/IMG_0234.jpg.html)

It's basically the frame from a folding stool (the stool you sit on ;) ), and a two piece toilet seat. Since the first outing, the lid part of the seat has been removed, as it tends to tip bag when you get up otherwise lol.

I like that Adam, A bit of comfort in the wild. T^

happybonzo
07-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Supposedly the definitive book on the subject - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/330822879964?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

f0rm4t
07-02-2014, 11:29 AM
I see both sides and the area dictates the actions.... :innocent:

Spot on Tig!
Just because you are on a water way, doesn't mean you have close proximity to seclusion, I assume (I don't canoe). In the absence of this, your 'personal preference' of purging makes sense, and respects your current environment.
If my land was on a waterway and I saw someone taking a dump in my wood (or whatever), 'I think' my instinct would be to chase him off.

Just because you can, doesn't mean it's okay to. ...and I'm sure that resonates differently with different people.
...Ha! I'm not taking the moral high ground, I'll drop a log anywhere. :happy-clapping:

Tigger004
07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Does the book have soft pages :jumping-joy:

Rasputin
07-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Does the book have soft pages :jumping-joy: :happy-clapping:

-Tim-
07-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Does the book have soft pages :jumping-joy:

Lol, even if it doesn't it has to be better than Izal!

Cheers
Tim

Tigger004
07-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Izal "grease proof " The GPO used it when I started work there and GPO property was printed on each sheet, as if any one wanted to nick it we actually took our own into work...lol

Rasputin
07-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Izal "grease proof " The GPO used it when I started work there and GPO property was printed on each sheet, as if any one wanted to nick it we actually took our own into work...lol
Likewise when I worked for the M O D or so you would have thought ! but 1 guy was caught at the gates with a bag full of it, what type of muppet would lose there job for that stuff ? We also had white carbolic soap issued and of course took our own in to replace it and he had 10 bars of that in the bag as well.

Midge_Fodder
18-02-2014, 01:14 PM
The trick my dad learned with Izal was, scrunch in to a tight ball and kneed I'd about in your hand a bit. Then when you opened it it was like service station sand paper (still an improvement though).......... Makes me think how lucky I was to have grown up in the age of 2 ply andrex, never knew I was born ect ect.

midas
18-02-2014, 01:52 PM
An I thought you were supposed to take a sheet!fold it in four,and use the sharp corners to clean your finger nails!

Midge_Fodder
18-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Aye but if the legends are right, one slip with Izal and your have a skunk stripe from bum to neck.

-Tim-
18-02-2014, 04:44 PM
An I thought you were supposed to take a sheet!fold it in four,and use the sharp corners to clean your finger nails!

Aye but if the legends are right, one slip with Izal and your have a skunk stripe from bum to neck.

LMFAO ....... At least we don't use "the three sea shells" yet.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9mFuB0gsNAA

Cheers
Tim

Midge_Fodder
18-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Ok that was a laugh lol