PDA

View Full Version : Cadair Idriss - Snowdonia October 2011

Comptona
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I am planning a trip to South Snowdonia in October with the Family. We are staying Near Cadair Idriss and I would very much like to walk the route to the summit. Although confident in my own and my partners ability to walk this, my mountain walking is limited and I will have my 2 sons (9 and 12) with me. They are experienced hikers but can anyone tell me whether this time of year might be a little too risky for them?

comanighttrain
03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Looks nice! Never done the walk myself but it is rated at hard... if its a hard walk and bad weather then dont go... check the met office right up until the last minute. Looks like a damn steep climb!

IBrown
03-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I hiked to the top in 2008 with 3 children and i suffer with severe Arthritis at the end of september. Take the Llamberis Path its the most spectacular for photo's of the paths. The car park is across the road from the start. The Start is up the lane next to the info centre and railway. It starts steep then levels out to a nice walk. Stop half way up at the cafe and have a cuppa and a breather. Then up to the top, make sure you have warm coats with you. It maybe nice and sunny when you start but it is cold at the top. They were starting to build the new visiters centre at the top when we went, it should be finished by now. I plan to have another go this year or next but i am going to do the Ranger Path so I can see the Lakes. Rhyd-Ddu Path is the easiest and the quickest. I would watch the weather forcast and decide then. We waited 3 days before we decided to go and we had a lovely day out. 3hrs walk up and 3 1/2 hrs walk down well worth the pain. Good Luck and don't forget your camera lol

chrisj
03-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Check the weather and if you are fairly experienced you may be ok. There shouldn't be any snow on top that early (although you never know). Allow plenty of time so that you can take plenty of breaks, and it isn't terribly strenuous if you are all fairly fit and used to walking. Wind speeds can be much higher and temperatures a lot lower on the summit than at the bottom so make sure you are equipped for this. I've known of a few people taking the wrong direction off of the summit after a lunch stop if it is misty (including instructors with groups) so it is worth checking a compass bearing before you start off again. It isn't particularly technically difficult, no nasty rocky sections that you can't go round and no knife edge ridges.
When are you coming? If I'm free I'd be happy to do it with you if you wanted.

IBrown I think you are talking about Snowdon (or Yr Wyddfa in welsh) rather than Cadair Idris which is over an hours drive to the south. A really nice day out on Snowdon if you are up to it, is the full horseshoe starting and finishing at Pen y Pass. Take either the PYG track or Crib Goch (depending on ability) on the way up, then drop down from the summit and go up over Y Lliwedd and drop down to the lakes and back along the track to the car. There is a bit of scrambling over Lliwedd but not too technical. It is a fairly tiring day though.

IBrown
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
THanks Chris.. Sorry to be confusing, I blame the pills. Or it could be old age lol..

Comptona
03-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Chrisj. I am going up october half term and staying at Arthog. I may well take you up on your offer I will pm you nearer the time. I was hoping to have completed my Mountain Leaders course with the scouts but work commitments put pay to that for another year. I ahve never visited Snowdonia and we are looking forward to it. Seems there is plenty of enjoyment to be had wothout spending vast amounts of money. Any other suggestions of nice gentle family walks in the area?

chrisj
03-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm sure I can think I can think of quite a few. I'm putting the kids to bed now so I'll have a think and let you know.

Martin
03-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I hope to be going up Snowdon at the end of May, as well as Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Slieve Donard in Northern Ireland. The plan is to get them all done in a week which should be quite pleasant and not tooooo tiring.

I'll let you know how we get on and hopefully get plenty of pic's on the forum.

Martin

mahikan
03-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I hiked Cadair Idriss on my Mountain leaders course many moons ago, terrible visibility near the top met a few folk going the wrong way. We camped at the bottom for one night half the group had their tents flattened by the overnight storms, you cant beat a bit of Welsh weather to test your character.

Comptona
04-02-2011, 09:17 PM
I hope to be going up Snowdon at the end of May, as well as Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Slieve Donard in Northern Ireland. The plan is to get them all done in a week which should be quite pleasant and not tooooo tiring.

I'll let you know how we get on and hopefully get plenty of pic's on the forum.

Martin
Good luck with that Martin, are you doing it for fun or charity?

Martin
04-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Good luck with that Martin, are you doing it for fun or charity?

Purely for the 'fun' of it. :)

Martin

Comptona
04-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Snowdonia is my first Mountain trip. done lots of hiking over the years over long distances but the highest ive been is Dunkery Beacon in recent years!!!!

delbach
04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Which campsite are you using in Arthog
Andrew

Comptona
04-02-2011, 09:52 PM
We have booked a cottage, My partner isnt as keen on wild camping as me and the boys and she likes her log burner and bath. It has a nice view of the estuary and sheep though and there is a bit of woodland for my hammock if we fall out. lol

delbach
04-02-2011, 09:54 PM
It's a great area,i've got to say that because i live there
Andrew

IBrown
04-02-2011, 09:56 PM
A couple of pics from the top of Snowdonia.
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=670&d=1296860121
http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=671&d=1296860121

Comptona
04-02-2011, 09:59 PM
It's a great area,i've got to say that because i live there
Andrew

Eccellent, my only experience of North Wales is Butlins Pwhelli when i was 10, not a great experience. Will i still be welcome even after tonights rugby score?

Comptona
04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
ibrown. thx for the pics...October seems far to far away :(

Martin
04-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Eccellent, my only experience of North Wales is Butlins Pwhelli when i was 10, not a great experience. Will i still be welcome even after tonights rugby score?

Haven't you heard? They haven't played rugby in Wales for years. ;)

Martin

Comptona
04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
LOL..Martin you are not making my first trip any safer!!

delbach
04-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Should be ok by October ,with a bit of luck we will have forgotten about it by then,but you never know
Andrew

Comptona
04-02-2011, 10:24 PM
is there a good family pub?

delbach
04-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Should be ok in October,but you never know
Andrew

delbach
04-02-2011, 10:36 PM
is there a good family pub?
Not in Arthog but a couple in Dolgellau and i don't know what the pubs are like in Fairbourne as it is a few years since i've been there
Andrew
PS Sorry for the double post ,post match depression

chrisj
05-02-2011, 09:54 AM
The George in Penmaenpwll is nice but it is a fair way away from Arthog. May be an option for lunch one day though.

chrisj
05-02-2011, 10:56 AM
If you fancy an easier days walk for one day whilst you are here then the Mawddach Trail is really pleasant following an old railway from Dolgellau to Barmouth along side the river the whole way. http://www.mawddachtrail.co.uk/mawddach-trail.html
Higher up than that the Precipice walk is a classic with stunning views.
Also if the weather is bad then there are loads of good family walks in Coed y Brenin where you get some shelter from the trees. There is a nice visitor centre there that has a cafe and there is normally a ranger there that can advise you on nice routes through the forest.
A bit of a drive away (up to Trawsfynydd and across on the Bala road) Arenig Fawr is a good day out if you have the skills. It is fairly rough ground but no difficult scrambling but you do need to be able to navigate especially if the weather closes in, as the paths are not as clearly defined as in other busier areas. You need to know what you are doing as it is a quiet area and you may not see anyone else all day (so if anything goes wrong you are on your own) but on the plus side you may not see anyone else all day.
If the weather is really good then the Nantle ridge is a fantastic day out. This may be a bit far north for you though.
There are loads of really good routes around Blaenau Ffestiniog which are again away from the crowds. Another plus is that Plas y Brenin use these areas for ML training and assessment so it is good experience for your log book if you are looking to do that. The only thing with these is that they cover a fair bit of remote moorland where the paths are hard to find so you need to be fairly good with your map work. There are some nice circuits you can do taking in Manod Mawr ,Manod Bach and some little lakes from Blaenau. Allt Fawr and Ysgafell Wen is a really good circuit. Or on the other side of the road Moel Farlwyd, Meol Penamnen, Foel Fras is a favourite of ours and I've never ever met anyone on this route. A circuit from Croesor over Cnicht, Moelwyn Mawr and Moelwyn Bach is good.
An absolute must in my opinion if you are in Snowdonia is Moel Siabod from Pont Cyfyng (near Capel Curig) via the lake and coming down either along the ridge or down towards Plas y Brenin and back through the forest. There is some nice scrambling on the way up but you can go around anything that you are not confident to tackle and the views are fantastic. This is possibly getting a bit far North for you though.
For a nice gentle day Moel y Gest from Porthmadog is always really popular with the kids walking club that I lead. It isn't just for kids though us leaders always love it too. I took a mate up there who does a lot of alpine mountaineering and he was well impressed.
Hope that gives you some ideas. If you want any further details of any of the routes then let me know.

Chris

Comptona
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
thanks chrisj, i will cut and paste this info and pack it away with me. We have also heard that there ares some stunning waterfalls in that area do you have any names for me to google?

chrisj
13-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm afraid I don't know of any thing down that way (but I'm sure they are there).
If you go to Betws y Coed then Swallow falls is worth a look. If you do go though don't pay at the swallow falls complex. Walk up from Betws and cross over the miners bridge which is nice in itself and walk up the other side of the river to the falls. The views are really good from this side and it is free as well.
In Coed y Brenin there is a 'Gold mines and waterfalls' walk that takes you to a nice little waterfall. Yr Afon bike trail follows a similar route and also takes you to this fall.
Just south of Harlech behind Llanbedr is Nantcol Waterfall. I haven't been there myself but I have heard that it is nice.
The major fall in North Wales is Aber falls in the hills behind Abergwyngregyn but this is right up on the north coast so it would be quite a trek.
Sorry I can't be more help.