PDA

View Full Version : hammock help!

NorthernYeti
22-01-2014, 06:10 PM
im in the market for a hammock... for the more lets say.. robust... man :ashamed:

anyone got any suggestions on a budget hammock to take the weight?

FishyFolk
22-01-2014, 06:41 PM
TW Hammocks are not that expensive and the make XL size hammocks Thats means extra wide and comfy.

51foxy on youtube is quite a sturdy feller on youtube that made a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdTm3hVWOUg

I own one myself and can vouch for the quality. I am 100-110 kilos, 180cm....
But I have not owned any other modern hammocks, so have nothing to compare with.
But it stays together and everyone still works after 5-6 trips out, including 2 winter hangs, one during a
blizzard...

NorthernYeti
22-01-2014, 06:46 PM
thanks bud will look into them!

Paul De Fitter
22-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Yep, the tenth wonder XL is a great hammock, don't forget to use a hammock ridge line & lay diagonally.

Tigger004
22-01-2014, 08:50 PM
I like my Basic XL and have just ordered a green hornet XL, can't wait, I am a big fella at 18.5 stone 6'
I'm my ideal weight I am just two feet too short....

Rasputin
22-01-2014, 09:13 PM
I like my Basic XL and have just ordered a green hornet XL, can't wait, I am a big fella at 18.5 stone 6'
I'm my ideal weight I am just two feet too short....

You dont look that big in your avitar, lol :evilgrin:

Tigger004
22-01-2014, 11:01 PM
You dont look that big in your avitar, lol :evilgrin:
That's because Rubber and spring steel are heavy....hoo hoo hoooooo

FishyFolk
23-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Yep, the tenth wonder XL is a great hammock, don't forget to use a hammock ridge line & lay diagonally.

These hammocks are not designed for ridge lines. And they are so wide, laying diagonally is no problem :-)

Ichneumon
23-01-2014, 08:24 AM
DD Hammocks are also very popular.

If you won't need a hammock until after the upcoming meet in Wales you'll have plenty of time and opportunity to look at what others are using there. If you have to get your hammock before the meet you'll have plenty of experienced people on-hand to help you set it up.

Paul De Fitter
23-01-2014, 08:25 AM
These hammocks are not designed for ridge lines

Maybe not, but I have made mine accept one, I have a 9 foot ridge line, so that every time I set the hammock I get the same lay, also it now fits under a 10 foot tarp & keeps dry

Tigger004
23-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I have a structural ridge line on mine and I must say that now it is set right for me I do a lot less fidgeting than before, also somewhere for glasses and torch to live overnight

Not mine but a 10th wonder hornet

NorthernYeti
23-01-2014, 03:44 PM
ive decided to get the Zip-in Bivi Hammock for the sheer versatility

- to sleep on the ground with a waterproof base
- as two separate hammocks
- as a hammock and a tarpaulin
- as an enclosed hammock with a waterproof base

This Lil' Bad boy! (http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Hammocks/Hornet-Hammocks/Zip-in-Bivi-Hammock-Green)

FishyFolk
23-01-2014, 04:44 PM
I have a structural ridge line on mine and I must say that now it is set right for me I do a lot less fidgeting than before, also somewhere for glasses and torch to live overnight

Not mine but a 10th wonder hornet

That looks okay. I'll try it out. Think I'll use carbine hooks to make the ridge line detacheable. Can see how it helps when there is a little distnace between the trees too :-)

Just need to find something light and strong. Amsteel perhaps. I got a lenth of that from a whoopie sling I managed to destroy. I can use the other in the set to make it adjustable to help tune it in the first time I set it up.

Thanks for helping me find something to kill time with, he he

Tigger004
23-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Rune, I made a whoppie sling and use that, then you can play with the length,

FishyFolk
23-01-2014, 04:53 PM
ive decided to get the Zip-in Bivi Hammock for the sheer versatility

- to sleep on the ground with a waterproof base
- as two separate hammocks
- as a hammock and a tarpaulin
- as an enclosed hammock with a waterproof base

This Lil' Bad boy! (http://www.twhammocks.co.uk/Hammocks/Hornet-Hammocks/Zip-in-Bivi-Hammock-Green)

I have the open Bivi hammock from them. It is a good quality hammoick, but I have condensation problems between the under quilt, and the water proof "under hammock" (the detachable under part that is water prrof). That means soaked under quilt. This is probably because I used to hang the under quilt between the two layers of hammock....

Btw, you link did not work for me

FishyFolk
23-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Rune, I made a whoppie sling and use that, then you can play with the length,

Allready got a set of whoopie slings, but I do not think one will be enough. So will join the one with one that is broken......