PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag question /s

bopdude
15-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi all, I'm looking for a sleeping bag, lightweight and small pack size, Snugpak fits the bill but............................. can somebody shed some light on the pricing / rating of the bags, for example.

Snugpak hawk softie 9 £99.95

Weight: 1500 grams
Packsize: 19x21cm (fully compressed)
Temp: Comfort -5c Low -10c

Snugpak sleeper extreme £42.95

Weight: 2100g
Packsize: 28x26cm (Fully Compressed)
Temp: Comfort -7c Low -12c

Now at £57 pounds difference, is the extra couple of deegres /weight / pack size going to be worth spending the extra money, what are others views and or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Martin
15-01-2014, 11:18 AM
When you're cold at night, the extra £42.95 won't matter a jot. Also, 600g is a lot of weight when you're trying to shave grams off your pack weight. For my money, it's worth the difference. Even worth more if you can afford a decent down filled bag.

Martin

bopdude
15-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Extra weight = cheaper price and an extra couple of degrees, I am looking at a few down bags at the moment, used but in good condition, just waiting on some more details and still keeping my options open.

Thanks, all input gratefully taken on board.

saxonaxe
15-01-2014, 12:07 PM
For what it's worth. Unless you are going to get a lot (read frequent) use out of a really expensive bag, you might consider a cheaper rated bag and a decent liner. I've got an artic bag but the few times I use it make me glad I didn't have to buy it..;) My -5 rated bag + a liner gets very frequent use, Spring and Autumn without the liner and the few times it gets really cold here in the South I stick a liner in the bag.
Having said that, if you're having to carry kit a long way or going somewhere white and icy then I agree with Martin, worth the extra money any day.

bopdude
15-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks, I would like the down bag for sure, as I said, just waiting on some feedback from sellers, all good points, thanks so far.

jus_young
15-01-2014, 01:25 PM
If you have no objection to down bags, I highly recommend Rab. Both lightweight and compact as well as very warm.

Tigger004
15-01-2014, 09:15 PM
I use a corinthia defence 4, does all I want and I just love the central zip, but it's personal choice and bank balance

bopdude
16-01-2014, 07:59 AM
OK, it's looking like a toss up between a Rab ladakh 600 and a Snugpak hawk softie 9. What are your thoughts / views please.

Thanks in advance :)

Kingjonesy
16-01-2014, 08:41 PM
I've got the North Face Cats Meow for winter, used it down to -7, slept in boxers and was toasty. I use a mammut for the spring/summer, got it from gooutdoors for about £30. Rab do a silk liner for about £25ish, which will give you an extra couple of degrees (and keeps your bag clean).

Adam Savage
17-01-2014, 09:52 AM
A little advice. Down bags are great. Light and warm, but useless when wet, so if you go for a down bag, make sure you use a bivvi bag or a good enclosed setup )such as a lightweight tent) for the wetter months.
Synthetic bags are cheaper, but do weigh more temp for temp. The advantage of synthetic is, they usually retain 80% efficiency when wet, they are often more robust, and they are a lot easier/cheaper to clean.

bopdude
17-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the advice Adam, it really is a world of ponder at the moment, one minute I'm leaning towards down the next I'm not, decisions decisions.

bopdude
20-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Ok, sorry again guys, but I really want to get my first BIG sleeping bag purchase to be as good as I can, for now, I know from hanging with Ian.C that he uses the softie 9 in cooler temps, my question /s, what are the differences between the softie and the softie elite, please see link below, how is it that the elite are cheaper but hold there own ?

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/brand/snugpak-jackets-and-sleeping-bags/2/

Adam Savage
20-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Looking at the specs. It looks like it's just the use of their "paratex" fabric on the outer. If memory serves me correct, this is a wind resistant fabric, so the bag would be more suited to use under a tarp/basha/in a hammock.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will pipe up and correct me :)

bopdude
20-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks Adam, I look forward to a bit more input, but I am really looking at these bags, anyone with any personal input ?

TIA

Adam Savage
20-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Looks like Paratex is just their breathable fabric, but on Snugpak's site itself, the Elite is imported (doesn't say which country, but probably Asian), and the softie is made in the UK. Maybe this is the reason for price difference, as possible quality differences?

Adam Savage
20-01-2014, 10:55 PM
I use the Snugpak Antarctica RE for cold weather, and must say it's very, very warm. It is heavy though, and doesn't pack down that small, but hopefully it's a good indicator to the quality of their UK made bags.

bopdude
20-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks Adam, 2 good points ( at least ) raised there, UK made, and pack size, I am wanting to go lighter / smaller in all aspects, and I do like to support UK made when possible.

bopdude
20-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I should have given a bit more info as to my ( want's / need's ) this is going to be for cold / cooler temperature outings, in a hammock, DD 2013 modular system, so more likely that not just the hammock at cooler temps.

cuppa joe
21-01-2014, 08:38 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VANGO-Viper-750-Sleeping-Bag-/131096955849?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item1e85fccbc9
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Viper-500-3-Season-Down-Sleeping-Bag-Camping-Trek-Hiking-Warmth-Expedition-/310845800129?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item485fda7ec1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Viper-1000-5-Season-Down-Sleeping-Bag-Camping-Trekking-Warmth-Expedition-/310845800164?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item485fda7ee4

bopdude
21-01-2014, 08:47 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VANGO-Viper-750-Sleeping-Bag-/131096955849?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item1e85fccbc9

Added to watch list, thanks :)

f0rm4t
21-01-2014, 08:52 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Viper-500-3-Season-Down-Sleeping-Bag-Camping-Trek-Hiking-Warmth-Expedition-/310845800129?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item485fda7ec1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Viper-1000-5-Season-Down-Sleeping-Bag-Camping-Trekking-Warmth-Expedition-/310845800164?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item485fda7ee4

Now that looks like a great bag! ...and what a good price!
Too mummy for me though!

Adam Savage
21-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Those last two Viper bags, aren't that light, considering they're down.
For a 1.5kg 3-4 season bag, you may as well go for one of these...
http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/highlander-challenger-lite-200-3-4-season-sleeping-bag.html?gclid=CIDtwoOCj7wCFQgHwwodHjIAGQ

Have used one of those before, and they are good bags. Never had any problems with the zips sticking, and they compress quite well.

bopdude
21-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks all for the input, I've just snagged a Snugpak Softie 9 Hawk on the bay for £40 :D

Adam Savage
21-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Great stuff. The Snugpak bags are good in my experience. T^

bopdude
21-01-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks Adam, at that price I was a) lucky and b) couldn't say no, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone :)

cuppa joe
21-01-2014, 10:34 AM
I've a softie 3 merlin and used to have a 6 and a 9 but sold them a while back.
I have used quite a bit of Snugpak gear and found it all to be great quality and very fit for purpose ,in fact I'm on the lookout for a rocket pack or similar at the mo ....good luck with your bag Bopdude

Silverback
21-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Just had the entire zip puller come off on my 3 times used snugpak sleeper extreme :(

Adam Savage
21-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Just had the entire zip puller come off on my 3 times used snugpak sleeper extreme :(

Just checked that model out on their website. I see it's one of their imported ones, so maybe those are to be avoided, and stick to the UK made ones.
Still not great for them to be selling poor quality kit though. Give them an email or phone call, and I'm sure they will sort it for you.

bopdude
21-01-2014, 04:47 PM
That's not good Sapper, as Adam says though, surely they have got to do something about that ?

Silverback
21-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Just checked that model out on their website. I see it's one of their imported ones, so maybe those are to be avoided, and stick to the UK made ones.
Still not great for them to be selling poor quality kit though. Give them an email or phone call, and I'm sure they will sort it for you.

I will be doing, snugpak have always looked after me in the past

ian c
21-01-2014, 07:27 PM
As mentioned earlier I use the softie 9 most times and will be using it for the meet in Feb and i will be using a improvised underquilt that is a fishing blanket that is made by fox as I cannot afford the snugpak underquilt also I can still use it as a blanket, I have used my softie 9 in a lot of places from Kosovo to the Falklands and have not had a problem with it, I do have several sleeping bags from the issue jungle bag to the artic bag.

bopdude
23-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Well I got it in the post, very fast, Ian, ( or others ) a question I need answering please, how much loft do you have / get on your bag, mine seems very thin :(

Thanks in advance.

NorthernYeti
23-01-2014, 11:10 AM
theres a few carp fishing companys that make some outstanding body bags, but if your on a budget like myself try doubbling up on 2 i use a lightweight camping bag in a medium cheap bag from b&m they roll up into a normal stuff sack and can get a little sweaty.. i slept in -10 in them in scotland and if its perticully chilly just add a layer of those thermal space blanket between the layers....

Adam Savage
23-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Well I got it in the post, very fast, Ian, ( or others ) a question I need answering please, how much loft do you have / get on your bag, mine seems very thin :(

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about that particular model, but my 3-4 season bags have a reasonable thickness to them. It could be it needs a good "fluff up", due to being stored in it's compressed state, rather than being stored hung up.
It shouldn't take too much to revive it, unlike down bags which can be ruined. Sometimes a very, very gentle tumble dry with a couple tennis balls in with it can give them a little more bounce, but only if all else fails.

jus_young
23-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks in advance.

Got the same issue with my Snugpak top quilt. Looks very thin and have my doubts over just how warm its going to be.

Silverback
23-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Taking my snugpak to the factory next week for a while I wait repair....can say fairer than that :)

Adam Savage
23-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Taking my snugpak to the factory next week for a while I wait repair....can say fairer than that :)

Might give you some free goodies while you're there ;)

Silverback
23-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Might give you some free goodies while you're there ;)

Maybe....especially if I take my pooch

ADz
23-01-2014, 04:31 PM
For synthetic you can't beat Snugpak. I have the elite 3, its quite warm and also packs down good (for non-down).

I also have a Mountain Equiptment Xero 350 which I got for £165 which was a steal considering they're £280 brand new. It had never been used either so seller must have needed quick sale.

Have a good look on eBay for a nice down bag, there are bargains to be had :)

bopdude
23-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Not sure about that particular model, but my 3-4 season bags have a reasonable thickness to them. It could be it needs a good "fluff up", due to being stored in it's compressed state, rather than being stored hung up.
It shouldn't take too much to revive it, unlike down bags which can be ruined. Sometimes a very, very gentle tumble dry with a couple tennis balls in with it can give them a little more bounce, but only if all else fails.

Thanks Adam, I have it hanging up now after a tumble on low, we'll see if it looks any different tomorrow.

Got the same issue with my Snugpak top quilt. Looks very thin and have my doubts over just how warm its going to be.

That is my concern, I know Ian uses his often so it will be interesting to have his input, that aside, it's going to get tested tomorrow night, hanging in the garden with the bag and my 'new' made at home UQ :shocked:

Thanks for the input all.

ian c
23-01-2014, 09:07 PM
My softie 9 has been washed many times and then tumble dried on a low setting it is then stored loosely in a bag ready for packing into my bergan.

jus_young
23-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Do I risk tumbling the topquilt before my outing this weekend....?

bopdude
23-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Hi Ian but layed out on say your bed, how high thick is the loft ?

ian c
23-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I would say its not got a thick loft but I am warm inside it, if I do get chilly I place my issue softie over the top and that is not very often, I would recommend the softie bags that I have 6 and 9 the 6 was used mainly for when summer and the 9 for winter in the UK also the 6 was taken with me as hand luggage when deploying anywhere and the 9 would be in my bergan.

bopdude
23-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks Ian, starting to feel a bit better about it, the test will be tomorrow night lol, also got a liner if it needs it ? and an UQ

Adam Savage
23-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Wish I was issued with softie kit when I was in lol

bopdude
23-01-2014, 10:07 PM
I wish they would have let me in :(

ian c
23-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Adam don't worry mate when I joined we were still issued with shirts KF (itchy) 58 patt webbing, and the SLR.