PDA

View Full Version : dd tarp tent

wilf
11-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I got a xl dd tarp the other day watched some you tube videos to set up as a tent . All the videos showed 3m x 3m tarps being set up so dad and I went out on the lawn to set my tarp up . it seems that you cant set xl tarps up the same. Can anybody help with any xl tarp tent set ups :please:

thanks in advance
Wilf

Silverback
11-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I'll take some pics of my 3 x 4.5 next weekend...don't think I have any as yet

wilf
11-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks Sapper that would be great

Adam Savage
12-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Ash posted a bit about tarpology on the NB website itself. The tarp he uses for example is the True North Big Tarp, which is 3.0 x 4.5, so the same as the DD you have.
Here is the link for it. It may be of some use to you :)

http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/shelter/tarpology-setting-up-your-tarp-in-different-configurations.html

bopdude
12-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Think of your 4.4 x 3 as being a 3 x 3 with a bit extra, fold the extra 1.5m under at the back as a starting point, only guessing at that as not actually done it myself, just seems practicable ?

f0rm4t
12-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Think of your 4.4 x 3 as being a 3 x 3 with a bit extra, fold the extra 1.5m under at the back as a starting point, only guessing at that as not actually done it myself, just seems practicable ?

T^ Sounds logical to me!

Tigger004
12-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Just a bit of a fun story, I hope it doesn't spoil your thread, but it is a useful story.

Firstly, I watched videos and sucked up all the different configs, secondly, I practiced with my two different tarps ( army basha & 3 x 3 elite ) down the local Park, I spent ages putting them up and taking them down with walking poles and sticks,

Finally, went out into the wilds, wet and windy also temp dropped sub zero, I sorted out my camp area (the only flat bit around)
Now the funny bit (NOT at the time I might add) The ground only had a very shallow peaty covering on a hard bed rock, which hadn't crossed my mind, the pegs wouldn't go in and where they did they pulled out in the strong winds.
Rocks had to be used to weight it down at the pegging points, None of this occurred down the perfect soil park in the sunshine,

I'm sure you get the idea and a vision of events that evening, hope this is useful

f0rm4t
12-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Just a bit of a fun story, I hope it doesn't spoil your thread, but it is a useful story.

Firstly, I watched videos and sucked up all the different configs, secondly, I practiced with my two different tarps ( army basha & 3 x 3 elite ) down the local Park, I spent ages putting them up and taking them down with walking poles and sticks,

Finally, went out into the wilds, wet and windy also temp dropped sub zero, I sorted out my camp area (the only flat bit around)
Now the funny bit (NOT at the time I might add) The ground only had a very shallow peaty covering on a hard bed rock, which hadn't crossed my mind, the pegs wouldn't go in and where they did they pulled out in the strong winds.
Rocks had to be used to weight it down at the pegging points, None of this occurred down the perfect soil park in the sunshine,

I'm sure you get the idea and a vision of events that evening, hope this is useful

Great Story! Been there too!

Back garden bushcraft! ("Well it worked in Laboratory conditions!") ;)
Nothing like putting that to the test when you're out in the middle of the suck! HAHA!

midas
12-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Fore Warned is Forarmed,!!Thanks for posting your experiences!!No matter how much you plan and practice,there always seems to be something that pops up unexpectedly!!

Just a bit of a fun story, I hope it doesn't spoil your thread, but it is a useful story

FishyFolk
12-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I always try to tie off to trees and bushes, instead of using pegs. The ground here is very rocky, and in the winter it's ice, covered in snow.