PDA

View Full Version : Kit Wanted

Stevie B
05-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Hi Folks,

Having returned from a two nighter in the storms, due to weight carried and some wet kit, decided I need the following;

1) Bergen Cover (not sure of exact size, but it's a biggie)
2) Small 4+ season sleeping bag, preferably middle zip and enough room for Lola (pet pooch) to snuggle in.

Happy to pay the going rate ad any advice welcome.

Thanks folks

FishyFolk
05-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi Folks,

Having returned from a two nighter in the storms, due to weight carried and some wet kit, decided I need the following;

1) Bergen Cover (not sure of exact size, but it's a biggie)
2) Small 4+ season sleeping bag, preferably middle zip and enough room for Lola (pet pooch) to snuggle in.

Happy to pay the going rate ad any advice welcome.

Thanks folks

While you wait for bergen covers, pack reenforce the inside of your Bergen with bin liners, and pack your clothes and anything else you don't wanna get wet plastic shopping bags. It helsp to keep kit organized to.
If you wanna spend money, buy some large water proof bags like the canoo people use. You find them cheap on ebay...

Ferrell freddy
05-01-2014, 09:15 PM
A decent ortlieb or equivalent canoe bag to line your bergan is what I use, had mine for around 12 years now and it's hiding out so far!

ian c
05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
If you have a old poncho/ tarp that is beyond repair you could make a bergan cover and some waterproof bags, as Rune says line your bergan with a large heavy duty dustbin bag, as for the shopping bags for waterproofing the ones I see here in UK have holes in them so would go for the re sealable bags (zip lock) that you can buy in any super market and they come in different sizes, also in the pound shops they sell the vaccume bags that are strong but don't vaccume them to put into your bergan just use them as a bergan liner, also you can write the contents of what is in them with permanent pen if they are items that you always pack.

Tigger004
06-01-2014, 01:27 AM
Dry sacks are the way forward for me every time, I have a cover that you can wear the pack or fully enclose it for when it's set down overnight for example, water always gets in.... I use different colour dry sacks for ease of finding and organising inside the pack, hope this helps

alvino78
06-01-2014, 04:03 PM
before i got some dry sacks i used to line my pack with a big thick rubble sack available at most supermarkets. ie morrisons are blue ones,asda's green if memory serves well. and also as stated above the different sized zip lock bags for other kit. tbh though you can get a set of dry sacks for about £20+ postage on flea bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exped-Fold-Dry-Bags-Bright-Colours-pack-of-4-diff-sizes-/370976116560?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing&hash=item565fe64f50
example .Iam in no way or means affiliated with this sale. hope this helps

Stevie B
06-01-2014, 04:26 PM
While you wait for bergen covers, pack reenforce the inside of your Bergen with bin liners, and pack your clothes and anything else you don't wanna get wet plastic shopping bags. It helsp to keep kit organized to.
If you wanna spend money, buy some large water proof bags like the canoo people use. You find them cheap on ebay...

Some useful tips, thanks very much buddy

Stevie B
06-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I'll look into your suggestions and re-proof the bag.

Many Thanks,

Ferrell freddy
06-01-2014, 06:58 PM
unless on a budget, canoe bags really are invaluable, we do river crossings etc and kit is bone dry. rubble bags, will stand up to rain but not submersion..

-Tim-
07-01-2014, 05:31 AM
Go outdoors sell some nice lightweight dry bags in different sizes clothes in one sleeping bag in 'tother, just need to be careful on how you pack things or you will pierce the material. The heavier weight dry bags that we use would be too heavy to be practicable when lugging gear on your back.

I think a lightweight bergan cover as well to keep it dry(er) and therefor lighter.

I used the dry bags inside a watertight barrel on a six day canoe trip as even when unpacking (Scottish rain is both cold and wet) gear can get wet, I didn't fancy six nights in a cold damp sleeping bag.

Hope this helps?

Cheers
Tim

Chubbs
07-01-2014, 09:16 AM
before i got some dry sacks i used to line my pack with a big thick rubble sack available at most supermarkets. ie morrisons are blue ones,asda's green if memory serves well.

Rubble sacks are a great idea. B&Q sell them for about £3.50 for a roll of twenty and they are bombproof.

lord archibald
07-01-2014, 10:38 AM
I started a post a couple if days ago, tesco selling 2 dry bags for £8. 10 & 25 litres