PDA

View Full Version : Jews ears , advice please

Badger 73
04-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Hi all , does anyone have any ideas/recipes for jews ears ? as i've just started a new job on a campsite with a small woodland around the perimeter and this fungus is plentiful at the mo . Any ideas gratefully recieved . Thanks .

Tony1948
04-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Would'ant bother it's like eating brown wet soggy paper.

Badger 73
05-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Ok , thanks mate . i'll leave well alone . There were loads of 'shrooms about when i got here in nov' but i did'nt know what i was looking at then . Turns out there were Boletes ,Saffron milk caps (i think,very similar if not) blewits , ink caps and a huge amount of either horse or field mushrooms (didnt have any reference at the time i found them) velvet shanks now and what i believe to be a grey oysters on the log pile . Typically we'll not be here long so not see em next season. only going on book references for i.d i could be mistaken on some . also many small specimins in the grass i couldn't i.d. Seems a pity no one takes advantage of these,but i guess alot of us are spooked by 'em ! i know i am.

Stamp
05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Would'ant bother it's like eating brown wet soggy paper.

How have you had them? I have eaten loads of Jews Ears over the years and have always found them very tasty. You can eat them straight off the tree which is a strange texture but they have a unique taste raw. Best cooked in a game stew I find, pigeon or rabbit is complimented well by them. Cut them into strips and look out for a burst of flavour when your eating the stew. For me these are one of the best foods you can add into your meal, try putting a few in your frying pan with any meat, I am sure you won't be disappointed!

fish
05-01-2014, 12:37 PM
the little ones in the grass sound intresting! lol

Humakt
05-01-2014, 02:08 PM
I keep meaning to try Jew's Ear myself.

A common use is to let them dry out, crush them, and use them as a thickener in stews.

Jon D
07-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Definitely!

Badger 73
08-01-2014, 09:43 PM

I hear ya !

Jon D
08-01-2014, 09:45 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/09/y3uty5yp.jpg Found these a few months back, presume these are Jews Ears also?

Badger 73
08-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Hope so , they look look the same as i've got here mate . nice pic .