PDA

View Full Version : Goretex Sleeping Bag

Humakt
02-01-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure if I've had a good idea or not.
I spent yesterday just going through winter gear and taking things out to let them breath and freshen.
So I got out my sleeping bag, and my bivvy bag, and then it occurred to me - does anyone make a sleeping bag where the outer material is made from goretex (or a goretex like fabric)?

Whistle
02-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure if I've had a good idea or not.
- does anyone make a sleeping bag where the outer material is made from goretex (or a goretex like fabric)?

Sounds like a winner to me H ....

It would add bulk and stiffness to the sleeping bag so it may not pack as well ...

but by saving the bulk of the bivi I should imagine a space/weight saving may be made ...

A good waterproof zip may add to the cost but I guess it depends whether you like to bivi or not ...

I see my bivi as more for emergencies so would prefer to keep bag/bivi/tarp as separate items ...

Cheers Whistle

Humakt
02-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Well I was thinking of it without a zip, to ensure optimum water-tightness. But a zip with a flap over the top is definitely a goer (you can get goretex bivvy bags like this anyway).

Now, I know a good many people may think that a separate sleeping bag and bivvy is best. And I can see that. But I reckon a good many of us probably have two sleeping bags - a 'good-weather' summer bag, and a 'ropey-weather' Winter bag. I know I do. So having a winter bag that has built-in weather protection would save in bulk, since you don't need a separate bivvy and sleeping bag. And, personally, I pack my bivvy with the sleeping bag already in it when used in conjunction.
And I also know a good many people will say, 'ah, but a separate sleeping bag and bivvy means I can slip my kip mat inside the bivvy bag.' But I wonder how many people do actually do that? I know I don't. I find that both sleeping bag and a thermarest type mat make it a bit tight inside my bivvy bag (an ex-army one). And, in any case, there are two other reasons I don't use a mat inside my bivvy bag - firstly, if on the ground I prefer it outisde my bag since I don't want the bivvy in contact with the ground where it may be ripped or torn (I'll use a ground sheet to protect my mat, with the sleeping bag inside the bivvy bag and then both on top of the mat). Secondly, with the proliferation of hammocks I suspect many don't need to have a mat inside the bivvy bag since they'll either use it slipped in the second layer of their hammock or use an underquilt.

I genuinely believe there is a market for a sleeping bag with a goretex outer lining.

claverhouse
02-01-2014, 03:05 PM
There is one big problem with the concept - the Gore-tex shell would have to be tape seamed to make it waterproof and you would therefore have a damn great balloon of air trapped inside your sleeping bag when trying to pack the thing! My Carinthia Defence 4 has a a coated highly water resistant outer which is not tape seamed but you still get a lot of air trapped in the bag when compressing it.

Humakt
04-01-2014, 09:51 AM
There is one big problem with the concept - the Gore-tex shell would have to be tape seamed to make it waterproof and you would therefore have a damn great balloon of air trapped inside your sleeping bag when trying to pack the thing! My Carinthia Defence 4 has a a coated highly water resistant outer which is not tape seamed but you still get a lot of air trapped in the bag when compressing it.

Erm...yeah, I see what you mean.
Although whilst the goretex layer may trap air though, surely the air would escape through the non-goretex inner layer? And if you roll your bag from the closed end first then the air will escape from the open end.

David_JAFO
04-01-2014, 11:21 AM
hello,
Kinda off topic.. I use Nikwax to care for my sleep system http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/ have done for many years on my Forces & Civie Street kit. I've still got in use a zip free bivi bag made by RADAR clothing (Redcar North Yorkshire) from the 1980's in excellent condition treated with Nikwax I've had/have no issues with it. these were originally issued to SAR Teams in that area. The Goretex idea alike to Whistle's comments (quote) "I see my bivi as more for emergencies so would prefer to keep bag/bivi/tarp as separate items ..." I agree. The Bivi Bag does accept a kip mat inside such due to it's extra width & length which as said I've slept out on exercises & various terrains many a time using such.
Regards
David

Humakt
04-01-2014, 11:56 AM
I, and I wonder how many others, don't see a bivvy bag as an emergency only item.
I see it as a part of my winter kit - both as an extra insulating layer for warmth, and as a water-proof layer against rain (and potential leaks in the tarp - it's happened! And if I hadn't been inside a bivvy bag then the sleeping bag would have got a soaking!).
So for winter sleep outs I automatically pack my bivvy bag (with the sleeping bag already inside it - hence my reason for wondering if there was a market for a sleeping bag with a goretex outer layer).

cuppa joe
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
http://www.crux.uk.com/en/sleeping-bags.php

Humakt
05-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Ruddy heck.
For that price I want it to read me a bed-time story at night, give me a kiss goodnight and tell me mummy loves me, and then wake me with a cup of tea and two slices of marmite toast in the morning.

Still, glad to see someone else had the same idea.

cuppa joe
05-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Ruddy heck.
For that price I want it to read me a bed-time story at night, give me a kiss goodnight and tell me mummy loves me, and then wake me with a cup of tea and two slices of marmite toast in the morning.

Ha yeah they are ridiculously expensive .

alvino78
06-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Ruddy heck.

+1 but i'd want to go to bed happier!!!:ashamed: