PDA

View Full Version : Peat Pellets

robmac
19-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Does anybody know anywhere I can get these in the UK;

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/101674290/Peat_Pellets.jpg

Might make an interesting alternative to wood pellets in the stove.

jus_young
19-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh dear, I see a whole debate coming on! Wait for the backlash...

robmac
19-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Whoops! I presume this has been discussed before? I'll have a look round.

fish
19-12-2013, 03:09 PM
lol

fish
19-12-2013, 03:11 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PK-50-JIFFY-7-PEAT-PELLETS-PROPAGATION-PLUGS-24MM-FOR-YOUR-SEED-AND-CUTTINGS-/261243872714?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

robmac
19-12-2013, 03:15 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PK-50-JIFFY-7-PEAT-PELLETS-PROPAGATION-PLUGS-24MM-FOR-YOUR-SEED-AND-CUTTINGS-/261243872714?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Thanks fish, but I was after the small ones which resemble wood pellets. Although I would be interested to know if the ones in your link burn as well?

Sounds like it's a controversial subject, but I don't know why?

Rasputin
19-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Sounds like it's a controversial subject, but I don't know why? The controversy is in its not eco friendly to burn fossil fuel that was laid down over thousands of years and drain and dig up peat bogs that cant be replaced nor the diversity of nature that occupy them. Now you've gone and done it Rob, Ha ha,:guns::jumping-joy:

robmac
19-12-2013, 04:03 PM
The controversy is in its not eco friendly to burn fossil fuel that was laid down over thousands of years and drain and dig up peat bogs that cant be replaced nor the diversity of nature that occupy them. Now you've gone and done it Rob, Ha ha,:guns::jumping-joy:

Ah I see! Yes seems fair enough. I'll give them a wide berth.

Although man has burned peat for thousands of years, Doh! I'll shut up now.

And Garden centres have sold it for decades........

Although without peat diggings we wouldn't have the Norfolk Broads........

Doh, I'll get me coat.

Rasputin
19-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Although without peat diggings we wouldn't have the Norfolk Broads........

Doh, I'll get me coat. :oops: :jumping-joy: Cat litter is supposed to be the dogs (exuse the pun ) dont think theres anything better ?

robmac
19-12-2013, 04:44 PM
:oops: :jumping-joy: Cat litter is supposed to be the dogs (exuse the pun ) dont think theres anything better ?

Yeah, I bought some today, Tesco one seems to be recommended so I'll stick with that!

fish
19-12-2013, 06:04 PM
right ,on the peat controvercy thing,i used to work on a peat farm,firstly 99% of 'compost' you buy for gardens is actually peat that has had additives added to it like NPK,its baged and tagged as grow bags garden compost ,potting compost etc all your comercial tomato's and salad crops are grown in it even if marked as organic as then they just use peat and add organic manures like chicken manure etc.secondly the aread dug become wetland habitats for all maner of wildlife from fish,anphibians,birds etc infact many conservation areas in somerset were peat pits,thirdly what isnt dug drains better and is then a good habitat for other fauna like deer etc and the land can be efectively farmed to grow crops or for pasturage,the vast quantities of peat on the somerset levels alone would last hundreds if not thousands of years.incidentally we found a 6000 year old body once.

fish
19-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Try before Buy - Sample box £10 - 10kg any combination of peat Pellets.
http://www.peatfuel.co.uk/peat/

Stamp
19-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Peat is not a sustainable resource where wood is............

There you go, I jumped in with both feet to dig up the old arguments!

robmac
19-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Peat is not a sustainable resource where wood is............

There you go, I jumped in with both feet to dig up the old arguments!

Don't worry, I'll stick with the wood, I'm sure it's a satisfactory product.

jus_young
19-12-2013, 09:32 PM
He he he...

I just knew that something would come up :)

robmac
20-12-2013, 05:03 AM
He he he...

I just knew that something would come up :)

We live and learn....

Silverback
20-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I live in the Dark Peak ....loads of peat....and usually burning because some pratt was careless with a fire, or ciggie

robmac
20-12-2013, 11:03 AM
I live in the Dark Peak ....loads of peat....and usually burning because some pratt was careless with a fire, or ciggie

And I believe it can smoulder underground for weeks!

fish
20-12-2013, 11:11 AM
whats that got to do with using peat as a resource?

robmac
20-12-2013, 11:42 AM
whats that got to do with using peat as a resource?

Not a lot. But it shows it makes good fuel!

Silverback
20-12-2013, 12:03 PM
And I believe it can smoulder underground for weeks!

.....months !

jus_young
20-12-2013, 02:22 PM
right ,on the peat controvercy thing,i used to work on a peat farm,firstly 99% of 'compost' you buy for gardens is actually peat that has had additives added to it like NPK,its baged and tagged as grow bags garden compost ,potting compost etc all your comercial tomato's and salad crops are grown in it even if marked as organic as then they just use peat and add organic manures like chicken manure etc.secondly the aread dug become wetland habitats for all maner of wildlife from fish,anphibians,birds etc infact many conservation areas in somerset were peat pits,thirdly what isnt dug drains better and is then a good habitat for other fauna like deer etc and the land can be efectively farmed to grow crops or for pasturage,the vast quantities of peat on the somerset levels alone would last hundreds if not thousands of years.incidentally we found a 6000 year old body once.

But what about the wildlife that used to rely on the peat bogs for a home?

;)

fish
20-12-2013, 10:19 PM
they adapt same as all the other stuff around us,things change,1000 years ago there were no somerset levels they were under 20 feet of seawater and Glastonbury and all the other hills were islands,when the sea levels went down the seagulls adapted as did the flounders and shellfish.200 years ago before the somerset drains were concieved folk used to ice skate over the hight of the hedges all the way across the levels from exmoore to Glastonbury in the winters,and when the tsunami hit the levels in 1607 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607 ) the wildlife overcame and adapted.we see things differently as we are only here but for a short while maybe 100 years if your lucky,this great and diverse island has changed and will continue to long after we are gone thats the beauty of this island.

worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEG090-lFxo

Stamp
21-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Just because our Island has changed due to acts of nature is no excuse for us to destroy habitat because we want to heat our houses. I think your missing the point a little fish, we are intelligent enough to know what we are doing and saying its happened in the past so its ok for it to happen again is just a bit silly. Our island has been changing since the last ice age, but as you say, we are around for 100 years. And in the 100 years we have changed it more than in the last 10,000 years! It's no longer expectable for us to use resources without considering the impact it has on our environment.

Rasputin
21-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Oh dear, I see a whole debate coming on! Wait for the backlash...

Oh dear look wot ya dun ! :shocked: :evilgrin: He He

robmac
22-12-2013, 01:19 AM
I have seen similar arguments before. I only hope that the objectors do not drive cars, do not use electricity or gas, because you can really live without doing any of these if you are committed enough to live off grid.

I have met eco warriors before who drive V8 Landrovers which smacks of hypocrisy just a little!

Silverback
22-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Remember boys and girls play nicely < Cursor hovers over the ban member option in anticipation > ;)

robmac
22-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Sorry, but only trying to put my point of view across.

fish
22-12-2013, 08:23 AM
I have seen similar arguments before. I only hope that the objectors do not drive cars, do not use electricity or gas, because you can really live without doing any of these if you are committed enough to live off grid.

Amen!lol

fish
22-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Sorry, but only trying to put my point of view across.

at least you have a view mate,so many sheeple just eat the grass.:)

Stamp
22-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Remember boys and girls play nicely < Cursor hovers over the ban member option in anticipation > ;)

Sorry if I offend you Fish, wasn't intentional.

I have amended my post now alcohol is not so dominant in my blood stream! :ashamed:

Silverback
22-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Stan..... There was nothing wrong with your post.....but thanks for having the decency to amend it.
Rob/Fish I only meant play nice the ban user had a wink following it.....oh and Fish I prefer to be a wolf not a sheep

And my mouse still hovering over ban user option......flipping spammers its practically a full time job ;)

JEEP
22-12-2013, 11:08 AM
The argument; "If you are driving cars, using electricity, etc. then you have no say in what should and shouldn't be done as to consumption of natural recourses (sustainable or not)" is utterly broken and - frankly spoken - quite disrespectfull.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - and just because one uses some kind of natural recourses in their daily life (we all do), it does not mean that they should be disencouraged from participating in a discussion.

I have no opinion for or against the use of peat, neither do I mind a spirited discussion - but I do have an opinion on how the culture and spirit of this forum is intended to be. One of it's most basic and most important premises being a respectfull and openminded form of discussion.

With that comment, I'll close this thread - as I do not see it going anywhere good.