PDA

View Full Version : Bivvy bag UK winter

Kingjonesy
14-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Hi,

I've been wild camping for a few years and go in all seasons. I've always used my power lizard tent but recently moved to a DD hammock.

I like both for deferent reasons. Now I'd like to go even more minimalist and try a Bivvy and tarp.

Any tips for winter nights in a bivvy? Is it much colder than tent/hammock?

My next trip is at the end of Jan in the Peaks. I guess the sensible approach is to take both tent and bivvy, but that means humping the extra weight.

Or should I reserve the bivvy for warmer summer nights only?

Thanks

JonnyP
14-12-2013, 06:52 PM
A bivvy will be warmer than a hammock.. Just find a load of leaf litter or bracken or dried grass etc, to use as an under blanket, and that will help you keep warmer still. A tent is not needed as well and neither is a tarp, but taking a tarp will be more comfortable for you.
Try going lighter still and making a dead fall shelter if you are going somewhere wooded. They really do work well..

saxonaxe
14-12-2013, 07:04 PM
If your trip isn't planned for a while, can I suggest you do a "Dummy run" in the back garden in cold weather? Try the bivvy bag with/without a tarp, see how you get on. A tarp/basher makes life a lot nicer..:) Agreeing with what Jonny P says, it's important that you get good insulation between you and the bare ground otherwise the bodyheat just drains away and you get cold.

A long time ago I was taught if you're ever caught in bare country (no foliage) with 3 blankets, put 2 under you and 1 on top, otherwise you'll get cold.

jus_young
14-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the forum Kingjonesy. Pop into the intro section and say hello to the good folks here http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?37-Introduce-Yourself-amp-Welcome-to-the-Community!

Kingjonesy
14-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks both for your replies, some great info there. Something I've learnt from my hammock is the affects of insulation compression. I'll be sure to use whats around me for added insulation. The Peaks are mostly moorland and there's loads of options for insulation . As for woodland, it's fairly far and few unfortunately, might get chance to try a alternative shelters later in the year maybe.

As for a trial run, sounds like a good idea. The wife will defo think I've lost it and the neighbours!

Thanks for your replies, greatly appreciated.

I'm off to search the forum for bivvy/tarp configurations now.

Rich

saxonaxe
14-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey! Rich, when you get the bivvy into the back garden and the neighbours start peeping round their curtains, shout out to your Mrs.." Please love, let me in I won't do it again"....:jumping-joy: Should be good for a laugh...:D

Kingjonesy
14-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Haha yeah, great idea, that'd get them talking!!

Might get them offering me a warm flask of tea or a bed for the night!

JonnyP
14-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Hey! Rich, when you get the bivvy into the back garden and the neighbours start peeping round their curtains, shout out to your Mrs.." Please love, let me in I won't do it again"....:jumping-joy: Should be good for a laugh...:D

Works for me..

Rasputin
14-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Wot you like John :jumping-joy:

Kingjonesy
24-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Off out tomorrow for a 24hr walk and wild camp in the Dark Peak, looks like it's going to be wet and windy!! Maybe in for a little snow to.

Decided to go for it and leave the tent at home and just take the tarp. Taking the bivvy for a little extra security incase the tarp turns into a sail and beggars off!!

Wish me look and I'll update on my return (ever the optimist!)

midas
24-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Remember if youve got an reflective blanket or bivy,get into it or wrapped in it before you get COLD,They can only reflect whats there!

Kingjonesy
24-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Cheers for the tip! I hope it doesn't come to that. Temperature isn't too low this weekend but with the 50-60mph winds, windchill will drop it down to -8.

saxonaxe
24-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Have a good trip, could be wet and windy, stay safe. T^

garethw
25-01-2014, 08:37 AM
If you are taking a tarp, check out on youtube some of the ways of pitching it which are pretty much as good as a tent especially if you have a bivvy bag.

http://youtu.be/yMAtpWQdVbY

cheers
Gareth

Kingjonesy
25-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Cheers Gareth, yes I've done a fair bit of research into tarp setups. I have to confess though, I'll be using a Trailstar on this occasion.

bopdude
25-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Have a safe enjoyable trip, we like pictures :)

Stevie B
25-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Lot of good ideas here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SGFUXpzPGQ)

Kingjonesy
26-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Well I survived! Nice walk up along Stanage Edge, across to Bamford Edge up Win Hill and camped near Wooler Knoll. Headed back to the car at Fox House Inn along the Derwent Heritage Way today. The night was very windy although the Trailstar didn't budge. Thunder and lightening coupled with hail storm while crossing from stanage to bamford wasn't very pleasant and it rained all day today. Other than that, the rest of the wild camp was a resounding success. Once I've edited it I'll post the link here for the video footage.

cuppa joe
26-01-2014, 06:00 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweight-Waterproof-Micro-Tarp-Basha-270grams-Olive-Green-/231143380143?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_Accessori es&hash=item35d13814af
Slightly lighter option , this guy always has tarps on (home made ) I think.
They usually go for under £30 if you look at his completed listings.
Nothing to do with me just something I saw whilst browsing.

Stevie B
26-01-2014, 08:18 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweight-Waterproof-Micro-Tarp-Basha-270grams-Olive-Green-/231143380143?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Camping_Accessori es&hash=item35d13814af
Slightly lighter option , this guy always has tarps on (home made ) I think.
They usually go for under £30 if you look at his completed listings.
Nothing to do with me just something I saw whilst browsing.

Looks very similar to the TW Tarps...

cuppa joe
26-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Looks very similar to the TW Tarps... yeah but much lighter .

saxonaxe
26-01-2014, 10:40 PM
" Well I survived! Nice walk up along Stanage Edge, across to Bamford Edge up Win Hill and camped near Wooler Knoll. Headed back to the car at Fox House Inn along the Derwent Heritage Way today"

Well done! Must admit I'm glad I wasn't on high ground today, it's been blowing very heavy squalls all day..:)

Kingjonesy
28-01-2014, 03:31 PM
As promised, here is a short video of the trip http://youtu.be/zvqyCHDPaNQ

Kingjonesy
29-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Comments?

jacko1066
30-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Quality mate!!!

Whistle
30-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Comments?

Really like the look of those MLD Trailstars ... Loadsa room inside even on a low pitch !!!

Have been looking at them for some time , very tidy tarp for us ground dwellers ,

nice to see one in the flesh so to speak ... good vid ... nice camp

Cheers Whistle

Kingjonesy
31-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Cheers for the feedback both!

Yes I was very pleased with the Trailstar. It was easy to pitch and literally didn't move even in the relative strong winds. Like you say, tons of room which makes life far easier when you have lots of wet kit. I used my cooker inside the porch area without any problems thanks to wide doorway.

Cheers for watching the vid!