PDA

View Full Version : ration pack

joshua
31-01-2011, 08:36 PM
i am loocking at buitld my own ration pack but i need some advince in what items to take? and how to make the pack

swkieran
31-01-2011, 08:43 PM
things like packet soups,rice pasta other than that i have no idea,those ainsley harrriet packet soups are deliocious :)

Fletching
31-01-2011, 08:51 PM
What's it for?

The reason I ask is that different situations require different food types. If you're going for a survival situation you need high-metabolic energy foods with an extreme calorific content. if it's just for a day's pootle and you've got a brew kit, take porridge and a couple of Mars bars (or some M & S sarnies)!

Here's some info:

Emergency foods:
http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/food-energy-is-key-to-survival/

General nutrition (British Dietetic Association):
http://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/index.html

Let us know what you're looking for and I/we will point you in the right direction.

...good to have some Bannock ingredients on hand etc..

Steve

resnikov
31-01-2011, 08:56 PM
For some info on what the military use in their rations packs have a look at http://www.mreinfo.com/.

Ben Casey
31-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Nice link there :) I kust had a look the Americans MRE where horrible :)

resnikov
31-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I found an old MRE I thought I had lost and used that site to date it. 1990 !!! Could not bring my self to eat it.

Ben Casey
31-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I found an old MRE I thought I had lost and used that site to date it. 1990 !!! Could not bring my self to eat it.

I'm sure it will be ok I have some compo biscuts here from about that date I think they told us the shelf life was about 25 years :) But don't take my word for it please :)

resnikov
31-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm sure it will be ok I have some compo biscuts here from about that date I think they told us the shelf life was about 25 years :) But don't take my word for it please :)

Too late, in the bin now.

Ben Casey
31-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Oh well after I wrote I was looking at the old compo menus and one thing I miss is Oatmeal blocks I wonder if anyone has a decent recipe?
I will never forget my first ration pack Jam in a tube and margarine to it was amazing and the taste of the marg (Yuck). Then later in life I got the old Cheese possessed those where the days :)

resnikov
31-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I got 3 current (ish, 2008) British Army rat packs here, so looking forward to my biscuits brown and washing that down with screech next time I'm out camping :D

comanighttrain
31-01-2011, 10:04 PM
The reason I ask is that different situations require different food types. If you're going for a survival situation you need high-metabolic energy foods with an extreme calorific content. if it's just for a day's pootle and you've got a brew kit, take porridge and a couple of Mars bars (or some M & S sarnies)!

Pemmican covers the high cal area, keeps for ages. Pretty good for you too. in comparison to processed stuff. Eskimos and explorers used to eat it/probably still do. Your body can survive without carbohydrates but not without fat and protein. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

With tinning and modern preservatives you can probably do tastier...there is a lot of british army rations on sale, i heard they are the best!

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 08:05 PM

I knew guys that ate them around 15 years from the DOM and they were fine. just remember with compo packs, the worse it looks, the better it tastes. Menu D was my favourite, couldn't stand the apple flakes..:eek:

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I knew guys that ate them around 15 years from the DOM and they were fine. just remember with compo packs, the worse it looks, the better it tastes. Menu D was my favourite, couldn't stand the apple flakes..:eek:

True that I will never forget the babies heads :)

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 08:23 PM
True that I will never forget the babies heads :)

mmmmmm yummy, also caught the beginnings of the boil in the bag packs too when I was in, but cant for the life of me remember what they included lol, I remember something to do with dumplings though..not too sure...mind you having massive concussion from a car crash a few years back hasn't helped my memory any lol

Ben Casey
12-03-2011, 10:23 PM
mmmmmm yummy, also caught the beginnings of the boil in the bag packs too when I was in, but cant for the life of me remember what they included lol, I remember something to do with dumplings though..not too sure...mind you having massive concussion from a car crash a few years back hasn't helped my memory any lol

Thay put all sorts in the new ones but could never beat the old ones. I remember margarine and jam in a tube like toothpaste I think the milk was in one to :)

Adam Savage
12-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Thay put all sorts in the new ones but could never beat the old ones. I remember margarine and jam in a tube like toothpaste I think the milk was in one to :)

couldn't beat the kendal mint cake and the primula, tasted remarkably palatable together I remember haha

fish
13-03-2011, 08:15 AM
a chap i know had a job where he was clearing out some RN stoes underground,they found huge tins of corned beef dated 1916,aparently it was still edible.