PDA

View Full Version : What to wear inside sleeping bag?

Jon D
05-12-2013, 01:44 AM
For the life of me, I cannot get a straight answer by way of Google searching this question and since I can't see a forum topic on this subject, I'll put it to you lot. What clothing (if any) do you wear inside your sleeping bag? The past few occassions I've worn varying degrees of layered clothing and have been somewhat cold during the night, not the performance I'd expect from my Snugpak Hawk Softie 9 Sleeping Bag. Is it best to just strip off completely? What do you all do?

Thanks.

jus_young
05-12-2013, 06:40 AM
There are differing theories on this. Some say that the wearing of clothes will limit the amount of heat being emitted from the body to warm the air within the bag and its insulation. This will then effect the the rate in temperature rise during the nights sleeping but also make you feel colder in the mornings when getting out of the bag due to the layers worn all night.

The other theory is of course that the wearing of layers should keep you warmer just as it would with your clothing during the day.

Personally, I just wear what I want in the bag which is normally a base later. That way if I need to do a relief visit during the night I don't get chilled or scare anyone.

What are you sleeping on? We can lose a lot of heat through the ground so maybe it's your mat that may need changing.

Jon D
05-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the reply Jus. It's happened a couple of times in my hammock, even with under blanket and Thermorest beneath me, also when ground dwelling in UK DPM Bivvi Bag with Thermorest.

Bushwhacker
05-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Start with as little as possible - Just wear your base shirt and keep a spare top inside the bag in case you get cold, that way it's already warm and you don't have to get out of the bag to fetch it or put it on. Don't take your trousers right off, just pull them down to your ankles, that way if you get cold you can just pull them up whilst still inside the bag or, if you get caught short in the night, again, you only need pull them up instead of messing about trying to put them back on. Don't be tempted to put your head inside your bag, always keep your nose and mouth pointing outside otherwise condensation from your breath will build up and make you cold. Also, as already stated, you may want to look at how you're insulated from the ground. I use a thickish foam mat and don't have any problems.

ratcatcher
05-12-2013, 09:20 AM
heres what we all wore on our last camping session at the woods, four of us in DD hammocks, the rest in tents

Silverback
05-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I wear ron hills and a base layer in my doss bag....I'll either keep another top layer in the bag with me or close at hand but I never sleep in the clothes I have worn that day

Bernie
05-12-2013, 10:13 AM
The last NB meet I was at, Fish measured the lowest temperature below zero in the night. I was in a down sleeping bag inside my normal sleeping bag. I was warm as toast.

Oh, and I was only wearing my wedding ring. ;)

Bushwhacker
05-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Ah, nearly forgot. A silk bag liner can make all the difference too.

FishyFolk
05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Norwegians are in two camps

Either naked or wearing a dry wool base layer and thick wool socks.

I do the first in summer, and the second in winter.

Here is a swedish video that explains it quite well (English subtitles).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb7j15DaurA

jbrown14
05-12-2013, 12:45 PM
In my experience; even more important than what you're wearing over most of your body, the three most important articles of clothing for cold weather sleeping are: 1. knit cap, 2. mittens, and 3. socks.

I tend toward being very warm while walking so my gloves and hat for winter walking even in below freezing temps are fairly thin and close-fitting. I've found that a looser, thicker cap of wool or synthetic fleece paired with a similar pair of gloves or mittens and then an over-sized pair of socks sometimes layered over a thinner liner pair helps keep me warm well below the temp rating of my sleeping bag.

In the summer, I hang, and I usually wear nothing more than a pair of soccer (football, woo!) shorts.

Realistically, you have to tailor what you wear to match the conditions you're experiencing in the field compared with the capabilities of your sleeping gear.

All the best!

Josh

FishyFolk
05-12-2013, 01:22 PM
When it comes to socks. I always make sure I put on a fresh, dry pair of thick wool socks before I go into the bag. The feet may feel dry in the ones you have been wearing, but they really are not. If you're feet are wet or even slightly moist, it's likely that you are in for an uncomfortable night.

I do not use wool caps. I prefer a balaklava, simply because it will stay on my head all night. I am a very "active" sleeper to the eternal despair of my wife, s o beanie or similar just falls off my head while I sleep.

ian c
05-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I wear as little as possible but I keep a warm top and trousers in with me, I also wear fresh dry socks and put the ones ive been wearing in the bag with me so they dry out if they were wet (old habits from being in the army)

Johnnyboy1971
05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
If its a reasonably warm night just my boxers and a t-shirt and if its cold a merino base layer with heat holder socks. But I always dry and powder my feet before bed. If it's really cold I have a Nalgene bottle that I half fill with hot water to help take the chill off, sometimes need to refill through the night if its really cold.
I also have a hot drink before I get in or as I'm getting ready to sleep as well as a small bar of chocolate to build energy reserves.

If your on the floor you could try one of the space blankets folded in half with the silver side down and up(if that makes sense). I have a bright orange one that will double as an emergency signal. Then put your kip mat on top and sleeping bag bivvy bag on top of that.

Worked well for me in some chilly conditions. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=243409962481159&set=pb.220180911470731.-2207520000.1386273624.&type=3&theater

Tigger004
05-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Hi Jon,

I have just got back from a sub zero long weekend, I have what I call my sleep kit, which I keep ultra protected from the damp, it consists of Tesco cheap as chips Feet heater socks (socks need to be on the large size), thinsulate hat and softie trousers. That normally does it for me, I tried a Norwegian softie jacket as an extra last Sunday night and it was a mistake, made me sweat and condensation formed under me between the heat reflective roll mat and me, this was absorbed by my sleeping bag, moisture is never a good thing..... if I'd had another cold night to deal with, a priority would have been to dry my bag. so it can be over done.

Often over looked is the need to go to bed warm with a full belly ( food not beer ), hot drink and food does wonders, and you can warm the inside of the sleeping bag before climbing in, with the excess hot water in a suitable container, I would normally kick it out on settling down because I hate cold containers in the night. hope this helps, call me if you need anything explained, Jeff

FishyFolk
05-12-2013, 08:43 PM
I wear as little as possible but I keep a warm top and trousers in with me, I also wear fresh dry socks and put the ones ive been wearing in the bag with me so they dry out if they were wet (old habits from being in the army)

If you use those moist from wearing socks as a cosy around a water bottle filled with boiling water, they will be bone dry in the morning, and the water bottle will keep you nice and toast all night.

FishyFolk
05-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi Jon,

I have just got back from a sub zero long weekend, I have what I call my sleep kit, which I keep ultra protected from the damp, it consists of Tesco cheap as chips Feet heater socks (socks need to be on the large size), thinsulate hat and softie trousers. That normally does it for me, I tried a Norwegian softie jacket as an extra last Sunday night and it was a mistake, made me sweat and condensation formed under me between the heat reflective roll mat and me, this was absorbed by my sleeping bag, moisture is never a good thing..... if I'd had another cold night to deal with, a priority would have been to dry my bag. so it can be over done.

Often over looked is the need to go to bed warm with a full belly ( food not beer ), hot drink and food does wonders, and you can warm the inside of the sleeping bag before climbing in, with the excess hot water in a suitable container, I would normally kick it out on settling down because I hate cold containers in the night. hope this helps, call me if you need anything explained, Jeff

I find that if I put the water bootle in my thick wool socks, they water is still warm in the morning. And that is normaly after 12 hours...I use a 32oz nalgene bottle.

FishyFolk
05-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Softie jakets are better to put on top of the sleeping bag as extra insulation, like in that video. That way it can easily be discarded if it's too much.

Jon D
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Hi Jon,

Often over looked is the need to go to bed warm with a full belly ( food not beer ),

Arrrrr, that's where the problem lies. :ashamed:

Joking aside, thanks for all your thoughts on this, gives me plenty to try out.

rik_uk3
07-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Two litre pop bottle filled with hot (NOT boiling) water in the bottom of your sleeping bag will keep you toasty warm all night; and I've never had one leak yet.