PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin heaters/cookers

ratcatcher
22-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Ive carried this over from another forum I visit, at our woods we have a large marquee with a log burner for when we are all day working, or camping weekends, up until now we have been using the DD hammocks, but after our last trip that saw me have a very uncomfortable nights sleep, on our return I found a too good to miss deal on a 4m bell tent, and of course this lead to the conversation on heating that, most people seemed to be opting for the small log burners with a flue, but I didn't really want to go down that route, seemed too cumbersome for a tent, and also from reading reviews, it seemed that even if fully loaded, they only gave a 4-5 hour burn time, meaning people (wives) woke up cold and moaney;)
someone then said they used an old paraffin heater/cooker, and that as long as the tent had suitable ventilation it was the best, as not only could you boil up on it, but its burn time was 18 hours, thus waking up warm, and it helped dry out the tent after rain

I finally took the plunge and picked up a secondhand unit via evil bay, was well happy when it was delivered a few days later, until I checked out the wick, and realized the cog wick winder had seen its last days, totally rusted and half its teeth missing, eventually received a partial refund and thankfully, a friends dad handmade a new cog and fitted it for me,

so now its just a case of waiting, I have a week off at beginning of next month, may just have to pop over woods and give it a test run, glamping at its best, as SWMBO now wants a super duper blow up queen sized bed:ashamed:

http://youtu.be/hyM1f8TMRvs

FishyFolk
22-11-2013, 02:56 PM
The Norwegian Army routinely uses burners that burn paraffine mixed with diesel in the tents in the field (JP8/ F-34) . When I was in we even used the Optimus 111 has a tent heater. But regulations state that one soldier must be awake in each tent on fire watch.

Not because they are afraid of fires but because of the dangers the fumes represent. The penalty for falling asleep is severe...

I would never go to sleep in a tent with any kind of fire burning without someone to mind both me and the stove. Be careful.

FishyFolk
22-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Anyway, here is the Norwegian army regulations on it:

Fire watch
In a tent in which a heat source is being used, knives or bayonets should be present
and placed appropriately in order to be used in any cutting of the tent canvas in the
event of a fire. Water bottles should also be on standby in order to extinguish any
fire. The fire watch must be wearing shoes, must remain outside of the sleeping bag
and must be in full control of the heat source at any given time.

I see no reason why civillians should not adopt the same regime.

Anyway the full instruction on how to make yourself comfy in winter in a tent, you may find some tips and tricks in there

http://www.coe-cwo.org/files/handbooks/UD%206-81-6%20(E)%20Instruction%20in%20Winter%20Service%20Bi ouvac.pdf

FishyFolk
22-11-2013, 03:15 PM
From the above mentioned link:

4.1.8 Precautionary measures in the use of cooking/heating apparatus
4.1.8.1 A cooking apparatus produces carbon monoxide (CO), a highly toxic gas that is
tasteless, odourless and colourless. CO production increases considerably with
insufficient combustion (yellow flame). A yellow flame occurs most frequently
when a cold kettle is placed on the cooking apparatus, or the apparatus is not
working optimally.
PAY GREAT ATTENTION TO THIS!
In order to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, sufficient ventilation must
be achieved. A completely ice-covered or snow-covered tent could be compared to
an airtight room. Therefore, the tent must be frequently cleared of snow and ice.
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING:
- There are few symptoms and they are mild
- the advance is halted and personnel must be kept warm in order for battle
capability to be maintained
- Headache and nausea
- Anyone can lose consciousness without prior warning
- The gas is heavier than air. Personnel lying down will be affected first
- Stearine candles are NO indication of the amount of carbon monoxide in the
air
For supplementary provisions, refer to UD 2-1, Safety Provisions for the Norwegian
Armed Forces.

ratcatcher
22-11-2013, 03:27 PM
I had thought about the carbon monoxide, but as we have a log burner at home, and also CM detectors, I thought using one of those at opposite side of tent may do the trick

FishyFolk
22-11-2013, 04:03 PM
I had thought about the carbon monoxide, but as we have a log burner at home, and also CM detectors, I thought using one of those at opposite side of tent may do the trick

I do not think they will be very effective in an environment like a tent...and I certainly would not trust those. But that is my general scepticism towards technology in the outdoors...technology seem to break down a lot.

But if you must use them, place them on the floor...if they will work there.

Silverback
22-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Remember when parrafin heaters were available in the uk as room heaters in the 60's and 70's....? This was of course back before double glazing

Whistle
22-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Rremember when parrafin heaters were available in the uk as room heaters in the 60's and 70's....this was of course back before double glazing

Hmmmmmmm ... Don't you just love the smell of Esso Blue at bedtime !?!?! Ha Ha Ha !!!

Cheers Whistle