PDA

View Full Version : Knife making

Snooky
21-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a nice kitchen knife that used to belong to my sister in law who is a chef, can't remember the name on the knife blank but isn't the normal kitchen knife but at least 3mm thick so should make a nice knife. I have the tools to cut it to shape and size.

But is there an easy way to drill hardened steel? and I have some wood for the handle but wondered where people get the bits to join them?

Cheers

kristophish
21-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Cobolt drill bits is what u need. You can get brass or stainless steel rod from ebay relatively cheap. Or even mosaic pins for a tenner ish.

Kris

Tigger004
21-11-2013, 08:00 PM
keep us up to date with a photo book on progress, ta

Snooky
23-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Will start the photo's later when I get out to the garage to start, need to cut the blade down a bit but wondering why do people put something between the wood and the metal, is it just for show or is there a reason?

Snooky
23-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Quite big as you can see so need to decide on a good shape for it and decide on the blade length I'm thinking around 4" - 5"

KaiTheIronHound
23-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Be very careful about cutting and grinding it. if you overheat it you will ruin it.

Adam Savage
24-11-2013, 08:02 AM
You'd be much better off if you could anneal the blade, get it to the shape you want, then harden it again. Not saying it's impossible to work it like it is, but it would make life a whole lot easier :)
Looking forward to your progress

To answer the question of the liners (between tang and scales), there is a constant debate over the reason why. With modern materials and adhesives, I'd say they weren't essential, but they do make a knife look a lot neater.