PDA

View Full Version : Alone in the wilderness

Paul Webster
30-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Just watched that DVD you gave me Ashley. I seem to remember it from years ago on tv but it was awesome to see it again, the guy had so much drive and energy. What was even more inspiring was that he was in his 50's, retired and practically lived alone for 30 years.

It was also quite moving to know the park authority turned his cabin into a historical site. Thanks again mate. Think I need to get a copy of the book now

Bambii
30-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Awesome DVD!!

It's one of my favourites now :)

klause
30-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Yeh that guy had plenty of get up and go for a 50 year old (more than me anyway).
How much respect does he deserve for doing that? A total legend.

Ashley Cawley
31-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Yeah it's a lovely relaxing watch ain't it?

Just to let you know the book based on his Journals was made public-domain by the 'National Park Service', I've got a link to it on: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/resources/dick-proenneke-alone-in-the-wilderness-at-twin-lakes.html

Fletching
31-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. The cat was getting worried and pacing frantically round the camp gear cupboard so I wouldn't go near it.

TreeCamper
04-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Has any kind person got a copy of the Dick Proenneke DVD?

Had a quick look around UK sites for a copy but seems you can only get it from the USA.

TC

Tigger004
04-10-2012, 10:34 PM
A fair amount of it is on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/swererbob

enjoy

FishyFolk
05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Here in Norway there is still the odd old timer of both sex'es who lives in some fjord or mountain valley alone, with no road, no electricity, no indoor plumbing, etc. Most of them live on the farm they where born at 60-70-80 or even 90 years ago...

There was a TV series that has become very popular in Norway called: "Where none would believe people could live"...

Here is a taste of it about some lady who lives in the mountains, she has an Englsihs speaking friend who also lives in the hills and she also appears in parts of the movie so there is some Englsih speaking in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts9Ug_wzzjI

TreeCamper
05-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I
A fair amount of it is on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/swererbob

enjoy

Thanks Tigger

I saw a few tasters on YouTube that is what set me off on wanting to watch the full programme.

Hopefully someone may have a copy in Pal.

cheers and thanks for the links

TC

treefrog
05-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Here in Norway there is still the odd old timer of both sex'es who lives in some fjord or mountain valley alone, with no road, no electricity, no indoor plumbing, etc. Most of them live on the farm they where born at 60-70-80 or even 90 years ago...

There was a TV series that has become very popular in Norway called: "Where none would believe people could live"...

That looks like a good program, wish it had subtitles. Norwegian sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher to me.:D

David_JAFO
05-10-2012, 08:45 PM
hello,
I have a copy of the e-book in .pdf great read 500 pages.
T^
Regards
David

ADz
07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Looks interesting, Downloading now T^

Fraser
23-10-2012, 10:59 AM
This is my favorite DVD. The man is my hero. I watch it at least every 2 weeks. Truely inspiring.

TreeCamper
23-10-2012, 12:17 PM
This is my favorite DVD. The man is my hero. I watch it at least every 2 weeks. Truely inspiring.

Hi Fraser

Where did you get your copy mate?

I have been looking for a copy in Pal or UK region on DVD.

TC

Fraser
23-10-2012, 12:32 PM
well........ em......... I aquired the file on www and made my own.

TreeCamper
23-10-2012, 04:29 PM
well........ em......... I aquired the file on www and made my own.

I am not having much luck in this thread ;)

TC

ADz
23-10-2012, 05:05 PM
PM me if you want it. I have the video on my server but can up it to a file host for you. I downloaded it a while back but not got round to watching yet.

Fraser
23-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah or I'll make you a copy.

TreeCamper
23-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah or I'll make you a copy.

Thanks thats very kind. I'll try the download thing if that does not work the copy would be great. I will fix you up for it of course.

TC

f0rm4t
23-10-2012, 08:04 PM
PM me if you want it. I have the video on my server but can up it to a file host for you. I downloaded it a while back but not got round to watching yet.

Would really appreciate a file ADz T^
PM me the address if that's sill okay.

Fraser
24-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Thanks thats very kind. I'll try the download thing if that does not work the copy would be great. I will fix you up for it of course.

TC
No problem. Wont cost me to make it so......Wont cost you a bean....

Trying to get hold of part 2

TreeCamper
24-10-2012, 10:03 AM
No problem. Wont cost me to make it so......Wont cost you a bean....

Trying to get hold of part 2

Thank you Fraser

All sorted now mate, it was a kind offer and is appreciated.

Yes trying to get hold of part 2 would be fantastic, apparently Dick spent 35yrs up there, I am sure there must be more footage available somewhere.

ATB

TC

Fraser
24-10-2012, 11:20 AM
No problem mate.
I have other Dick Proenneke dvds, I'll look tonight and post what I have. You're welcome to copies. I did have part 2 but the file has somehow become corrupt. There will also be a part 3 comming out apparently.
Yeah, he went up in his early 50s for a year to see if he could do it and was still there over 30 years later. Only came back to 'civilisation' because he was old and quite frail. Lived with his brother (who visited him in his cabin quite often) until his death from a stroke.
The man is a bloody legend!

Chubbs
24-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I have just found all three programmes on the web and am downloading them very fast at the moment. If anybody wants the link from where I found them, give me a shout.

Cheers Neil

f0rm4t
24-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I have just found all three programmes on the web and am downloading them very fast at the moment. If anybody wants the link from where I found them, give me a shout.

Cheers Neil

Yes please Neil! :D

ADz
24-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Same here, I now have the full collection plus the full DVDR's on the way ;)

Chubbs
25-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Once this is downloaded and extracted, it can be viewed perfectly on Cyberlink Power DVD11 with no problems. This is available as a download on the same site I have already mentioned.

ADz
25-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Once this is downloaded and extracted, it can be viewed perfectly on Cyberlink Power DVD11 with no problems. This is available as a download on the same site I have already mentioned.

Dont bother with that. The best way to watch videos on your PC is to install a codec pack like Klite Codec Pack, It will also come with "Media Player Classic" which is one of the best in my opinion as it isnt bloated crap like others, its clean and simple and will play just about every format you throw at it with codecs installed.

Chubbs
25-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info there ADz, I haven't heard of that player before. I know what you mean about them bloated with crap when all you want to do is watch a vid. Will have a look now.

Thanks Neil

TreeCamper
25-10-2012, 11:29 AM

Cheers Neil

Yes please Neil ! me too

TC

ADz
25-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info there ADz, I haven't heard of that player before. I know what you mean about them bloated with crap when all you want to do is watch a vid. Will have a look now.

Thanks Neil

MPC resembles the player from Win98, I have been using it for years now. Just install the full version of Klite codec pack and it will decode just about anything for you.

Fraser
13-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I find VLC player will play anything I throw at it. nice wee program.

schooner
14-11-2012, 12:37 AM

Cheers Neil

Mate, could you add me to the list please?
Cheers,
Schooner.

Ashley Cawley
24-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I just stumbled across this beautiful 360° Interactive photo of Dick Proenneke's Log Cabin on the shores of Twin Lakes, Alaska

Link: http://www.nps.gov/lacl/historyculture/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&pageid=530533

David_JAFO
24-07-2013, 03:32 PM
hello,
I noted this link on Twitter :wink:
Regards
David
T^

Ehecatl
24-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks Ash - enjoyed that

M@

saxonaxe
24-07-2013, 07:21 PM
That's great, very interesting. A real low key, naturally skilled bloke in my opinion. Bet he was a proper gentleman too..:)

jus_young
24-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Very clever. I like being able to look inside the cabin as well.

shepherd
25-07-2013, 08:28 AM
T^