PDA

View Full Version : Another Pocket Stove Question

Humakt
07-11-2013, 02:51 PM
I bet you can work out what I'm thiking of asking for Christmas, eh?

Anyway.

Does anyone have the titanium version of the pocket stove? I have another question, and one I suspect is not going to receive an objective answer from the makers.
What I'd like to know is, is the titanium one too flimsy?
I read a comment with someone saying that the titanium is quite thin and that it really needs to be a gauge or too heavier to sit pots on it. BPL offer a trivet as a way around this, but that just seems to miss the point to me.

Anyone have any experience?

I was all up for the titanium one - it would have been my first bit of titanium. But if it is too flimsy I could go with the stainless version. But if I was to go for the stainless version then I could easily make one for myself, thus saving someone wasting money and ask Santa for other goodies. Assuming I could be bothered to cut all that stainless.

Hmm...anyone got a titanium one and can shed a bit of light on this?

Cheers

jus_young
07-11-2013, 02:59 PM
To the best of my recollection I don't think anyone has put this down on the 'what have you bought now' thread. I know there are quite a few fans of the honey stove, myself included, but my own thoughts on the pocket stove were that it was too small to be anything other than a meths burner windshield, and there are better and more flexible options for this.

I have never really seen the point of this one but if anyone does have some experience with it, I would also be interested in some knowledgeable viewpoints.

Johnnyboy1971
07-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I bought the Ti one last year from the Wilderness Gathering.
Thought it ok till the wind blew it over one day as I took the pot off it.
Yes they do feel flimsy but with a pot on they are ok.
To me they are too small as wood burners and restrict the flame width with a meths burner.
I ended up going back to my honey stove then moved on to the Element 2.2.

Humakt
07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I bought the Ti one last year from the Wilderness Gathering.
Thought it ok till the wind blew it over one day as I took the pot off it.
Yes they do feel flimsy but with a pot on they are ok.
To me they are too small as wood burners and restrict the flame width with a meths burner.
I ended up going back to my honey stove then moved on to the Element 2.2.

Cheers.
I guess what I want to know is, is the titanium stiff enough to sit a pot on top?
From what I read the implication was that the walls could wobble with a pot of water on it.
Would the top opening be narrow enough to support a Crusader mug? In reality that's what I'll be putting on top of it.

Johnnyboy1971
07-11-2013, 03:54 PM
The nature of how they hold together means they will hold the weight no problem. A crusader will fit easily. I used to use a 44 mug on mine which is a little smaller than the crusader.

Humakt
07-11-2013, 05:42 PM
The nature of how they hold together means they will hold the weight no problem. A crusader will fit easily. I used to use a 44 mug on mine which is a little smaller than the crusader.

Lovely, that's what I wanted to know.
Cheers.