PDA

View Full Version : New Boots - What's best?

Stevie B
19-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

So with Christmas looming I'm on the hunt for a new pair of boots.
Pretty happy with my Karrimors, very comfortable and no blisters to speak of.
what I'd like though is something that offers me both value for money with the emphasis on comfort, durability and top of the list waterproof (something that will let me cross a stream and not soak into my boots).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks in advance,
Stevie

garethw
19-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Lowa Combat boots... best boots I've owned.. as comfy as slippers, waterproof, durable... Worth the price IMHO. Gareth

Stevie B
19-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks Gareth,

How waterproof are they?
many thanks,

Silverback
19-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Ones that fit.........that should be your primary concern.

You'd be hard pressed to beat anything by Altberg for that given they will make them specifically for you.(although they do make off the shelf boots).

If that doesnt float your boat then go for a fitting somewhere they know what they are doing.

Gareth is right Lowa make some nice boots most with goretex or some other VPM, (I have some Lowa military winter boots and some desert elites ) then again so do Meindl, I've had a pair of Borneos since 2000 when I joined MR....still going strong today, not goretex just waterproofed with Leder Gris or similar and never had wet feet unless it ran in from the top and never had a blister.

That said I have just ordered a pair of Altberg Field and Fell

Stevie B
19-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks sapper, much appreciated

shepherd
20-10-2013, 10:40 AM
my personal faves are my Danner jackals... not had them off my feet for a year now, for work, hunting and beating etc... wont wear anything except danner from now on..

Stevie B
20-10-2013, 01:37 PM
my personal faves are my Danner jackals... not had them off my feet for a year now, for work, hunting and beating etc... wont wear anything except danner from now on..

Hi Shepherd,

Those boots seem really well regarded, lots of really good reviews.
Thanks to everyone for your help, armed with the power of knowledge I feel better informed to go shopping!

Silverback
20-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Danners are good boots too, as are Lundhags...you'll find more than a slack handful of rave reviews about many boots..like your Karrimors for example...I hate them with a passion, used to sell them and wouldnt recommend them to anyone..It all depends on your foot shape as to what you can get on with

Stevie B
20-10-2013, 02:58 PM
That's interesting you should say that - I've two pairs of karrimors which I purchased as a newbie (one for general use and one for winter) and yes they were cheap and I'm a great advocate of buy cheap buy twice. However, whilst I must admit to being let down by the winter boots in terms of durability, the second pair have never let me down. Though as you say, different feet...
Reason I seek a new pair is I long for a real proper waterproof pair of boots.

shepherd
20-10-2013, 04:28 PM
buy cheap buy twice. .

i agree, i bought a pair of karrimor snow boots that lasted literally 1 week before they split (assume i got a bad pair but put me off trying karrimor boots again instantly), at that point i went online to see what else i could buy i saw a dave canterbury video on danner boots... they took some finding in the uk but im really pleased i got them... as iv said, they have never let me down, wouldnt wear anything else now

garethw
20-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks Gareth,

How waterproof are they?
many thanks,
I've had mine about 18 months now, and I think they are probably as waterproof as you'll get from non rubber boot. The leather is thick and water repellent & they are goretex lined. To keep the leather in condition I often give them a lick of G Wax.
Fishing I've stood up to my ankles in the lake and not had any ingress. I guess in time the goretex lining will deteriorate, but if the leather is not holed they wax should keep them pretty waterproof.
cheers
Gareth

Tony7
21-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi Guys just bought a pair of Hi-Tec boots for £10.00 seen them in a shop window a couple of weeks ago, never been used, at that prise I wasn't going to mess about, there light to walk in waterproof, comfy on a walk, and are in my size 11 how luck was that, army boots are good got a pair with Magnam on them got those in a sale from millet's lasted ages think there from the USA not sure, still plenty of life in them. have a look on e bay army surplus some great deals on there wish you good luck hope you get what you want buddy..........

OakAshandThorn
21-10-2013, 07:42 PM
My 3 season boots are Timberland Mt. Maddsen Earthkeepers - tough as nails, very comfortable (for me, that is), great traction, and yes, waterproof :). The price is a little high, though, and I imagine that there are other better boots with a more reasonable price tag.
I like the look of Danners, and most folks who own a pair are quite happy with them, but I could never justify spending upwards of $300 for boots...but that's just me ;).
For winter, I have an old pair of Sorels (made in the mid '60s) which have a .5 inch thick 75% wool/25% acetate lining. They were passed down to me from my brother's godfather who wore them all the time in the winter up in Vermont - he was a mountain rescue EMS. I've trudged through 30cm accumulation of heavy, wet snow with them, worn them with my snowshoes, and waded in an icy stream with them, and they are still going strong. The only thing I would have to do is to apply some leather conditioner treatment every now and then.

Fraser
28-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I am more than happy with my Meindl Dovres. Very comfy, sturdy, great support and waterproof. Quite expensive though.

woodstock
29-10-2013, 08:25 PM
I have two pair that I wear on a regular basis 511 XPRT pros and a pair of Meindl Burma which are great for long treks.

JonnyP
29-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Ones that fit.........that should be your primary concern.

Fully agree.. We spend so much time on our feet, that we should have something that fits right. We all have different shaped feet, so its best to get fitted out for some boots rather than buy what people recommend.. Meindl and Scarpa are both respected boot making companies, but I have narrow feet and found them too wide, but manufactures like LaScarpa fit me well..

David_JAFO
31-10-2013, 03:14 PM
hello,
Owner of both these.. http://www.army.mod.uk/news/24306.aspx & Danner Boots photo taken in my hallway.
Regards
David

JEEP
13-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Having handled, owned and sold several brands and models of boots over the years, I can say that one brand - for me at least - stands out from all the others; Meindl; http://www.meindl.de/english/index.html

If you want a Gore-Tex boot, then a par of Meindl Island MFS Active; http://www.meindl.de/english/modelle/schuh_detail2.asp?ID=932 would be my recommendation - if you, like me, prefer a more traditional pair of full leather boots, a pair of Meindl Borneo 2 MFS; http://www.meindl.de/english/modelle/schuh_detail2.asp?ID=1300 is imho. the way to go.

I have had a pair of Boeneo MFS Pro (an older model) for almost eight years now, I have walked longer in them than in any other single pair of boots/shoes I have ever owned - and they have yet to show any real signs of wear and tear.

Meindl boots are not cheap to purchase - but considering their longevity, they are imho. truly the cheapest option out there.

Stevie B
21-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Hi All and thanks for your comments.
I've looked at a few and really fancy the Lowa Combats - really like the idea I can replace the sole if and when it needs done.

Midge_Fodder
16-02-2014, 02:50 PM
I have a bit of advice for you, whatever boots you go for get them fitted. The best places are small independent "maw and paw" places (not on commission and honest). I can't tell you what your feet will fit best, but always buy the best you can afford at the time. I personally like Lowa and Hanwag boots but remember to try before you buy.

Midge_Fodder
16-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Sorry necro post lol

David_JAFO
16-02-2014, 10:05 PM
hello,
Stevie what size of boots are you?
Regards
David

chris_leech
21-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Glad to see the meindl love. Somehow managed to luck into buying some borneos (which I love)