PDA

View Full Version : Below Zero........Advice on dressing for Artic Temperatures

FishyFolk
16-10-2013, 07:23 AM
...or if you can take the smell after use....a synthetic one.

Here is what I wear (or carry with me).

Merino wool base layer....that is it, under the field jacket if I am doing more than sitting still.
For a middle layer I have a thin 70% wool/ 30% syntethic fibre high collared pullover (designed like the Norgie with a short zipper, so it can be opened up for ventilation).
In the rucksack is a thick NATO pullover, or if it expected to be really cold, the Norwegian army wool pullover.
Wind proof field jacket over that (currently the UK army desert combat jacket, goretex version).

For the legs: Merino base layer, then wind proof goretex trousers. I have the Norwegian army "old school" softies in my rucksack. They can be put on without taking off your shoes and trousers. As you just drop your trousers down to your ankles, and button them on :-) But they are far to warm to wear if you are doing any physical activity. They are designed to keep soldiers on stag warm in the wintertime.

Thin wool socks on my feet, then a pair of thick felted socks over that, and then leather boots. Ancles covered with snow gaiters to prevent snow getting into the boots. I also have a pair of Norwegian army (these are brilliant) over boots, that I pull over the boots. They also cover the calves up to the knee.

On the head. Wool beanie hat. And the Norwegian army headover/balaklava covering the neck. And if wind/rain/sleet, a good hood.

On the hands. Felted wool mittens covered with goretex wind proof over mittens that go up allmost to the elbow.

So there you go ...your arctic adventure shopping list...

Your Norgies....use them in summer...

Chubbs
16-10-2013, 09:08 AM
...or if you can take the smell after use....a synthetic one.

Here is what I wear (or carry with me).

Merino wool base layer....that is it, under the field jacket if I am doing more than sitting still.
For a middle layer I have a thin 70% wool/ 30% syntethic fibre high collared pullover (designed like the Norgie with a short zipper, so it can be opened up for ventilation).
In the rucksack is a thick NATO pullover, or if it expected to be really cold, the Norwegian army wool pullover.
Wind proof field jacket over that (currently the UK army desert combat jacket, goretex version).

For the legs: Merino base layer, then wind proof goretex trousers. I have the Norwegian army "old school" softies in my rucksack. They can be put on without taking off your shoes and trousers. As you just drop your trousers down to your ankles, and button them on :-) But they are far to warm to wear if you are doing any physical activity. They are designed to keep soldiers on stag warm in the wintertime.

Thin wool socks on my feet, then a pair of thick felted socks over that, and then leather boots. Ancles covered with snow gaiters to prevent snow getting into the boots. I also have a pair of Norwegian army (these are brilliant) over boots, that I pull over the boots. They also cover the calves up to the knee.

On the head. Wool beanie hat. And the Norwegian army headover/balaklava covering the neck. And if wind/rain/sleet, a good hood.

On the hands. Felted wool mittens covered with goretex wind proof over mittens that go up allmost to the elbow.

So there you go ...your arctic adventure shopping list...

Your Norgies....use them in summer...

That lot must increase your weight by loads. I would have to have a siesta once I had put it all on and taken it off !!.

Silverback
16-10-2013, 09:10 AM
That lot must increase your weight by loads. I would have to have a siesta once I had put it all on and taken it off !!.

Necessity....winter camp in Norway temps down to - 30 brrrrrr

FishyFolk
16-10-2013, 10:00 AM

I do not wear it all. When I hike out I only wear base layer with the shell layer over that + feet,hands and head. The rest is in the back pack and is considered minimal kit.
In addition comes my dry kit, wich is a change of clothes consisting of everything under my shell layer. Once camp is set up, wood is gathered, fire is burning etc, and it's sit down time I add layers or shed tehm according to activity level. And while hiking...if I stop for a break for more than 5 minutes, on comes the thick wool pullover.

FishyFolk
16-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Necessity....winter camp in Norway temps down to - 30 brrrrrr

Indeed. But it does not have to be that cold. The climate where I am is actually quite humid and wet in winter. Most of the time the temps are hovering around +5 to -5, mybe plunging to -10 at night. And for a few days a year tipping down towards -20.
This means wet snow. Wahat wet snow is, is like moving around in a giant sponge. Everytime you touch snow you risk getting wet. And if you do not have a means of getting dry, you are in the manure...
So wool is king.

Well, I have to admit that sometimes I use a modern fleece, just because it's lighter to carry, and I do not really go that far from home. But that will stop this year as I have the pulk to carry the load. Plus I aquired that original Norrøna Recon pack. It's probably got the best load carrying system in the world :-)

Anyway, we grow up dressed like that. Thats the way our kids are sent out to play since from before they can walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8bqISOTsCE

FishyFolk
16-10-2013, 10:10 AM
We are miles off topic....maybe a mod can move the How to dress in the cold posts to a separate thread?