PDA

View Full Version : Posh stove...... any good?

Fraser
15-10-2013, 06:58 AM
I fancy this ..... http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/frontier-stove---your-own-portable-stove--wood-burner-10404-p.asp
I know it's a bit OTT but for a long camp with truck and tents I thought it seemed a good option. I also thought it would be a good adition to my workshop. Any thoughts lads and lasses?

shepherd
15-10-2013, 07:37 AM
iv been looking at one of these for a while too bud, id love to know any feedback people have had.. i was going to pop a hole in my caravan and use it in there too.. looks a good bit of kit.. some good reviews on amazon

Sylvanbilly
15-10-2013, 07:40 AM
I've had use of one of these, good piece of kit, used one on a canoe trip, seen them on the camp sites, I found that to get a good draw you need to keep the door ajar at first until it gets going, good long chimney to get that smoke up and away, not to heavy to carry, fire contained as well, and with the right fittings can be used in tent. If you where installing one in your shed/garage make sure you have enough air circulation. I would imagine others on here have them to and will give you some feed back.
Cheers
Bill

Fraser
15-10-2013, 07:43 AM
I thought it could fill a few niches..... posh camping. Workshop. and emmmmm...... when I build my cabin in alaska and live there for 30 years ....:rolleye:
I have this idea of retro fitting a caravan to be more.... rustic? and a wee wood stove would be a great addition.

Cheers for replies mannies.

Chubbs
15-10-2013, 08:44 AM
These stoves do look a good piece of kit but how long will they last considering the weight of them. They are about 11kg all in and do look a little 'thinly' made but reviews look pretty good, including this one below.

http://www.badgerbushcraft.com/kit-tried-a-tested/the-frontier-stove-by-camping-solutions-review.htm

ratcatcher
15-10-2013, 08:57 AM
as good as it looks, and I love the little water heater, which has given me ideas for my own, I'd say look for something cheaper and sturdier if its to be left in situ, ie a caravan, as these are really made light for transport reasons, you see plenty of stoves made from old gas bottles on the internet, which in a static position would give you in my opinion a longer usage time, I picked this up from e bay for around £40, the roof flange was home made from leather, and easy to light, once going it kicks out heat at around 500 degrees F, looking forward to our glamping trip next month

http://youtu.be/3UHb30FZw9k

Fraser
15-10-2013, 09:08 AM
These stoves do look a good piece of kit but how long will they last considering the weight of them. They are about 11kg all in and do look a little 'thinly' made but reviews look pretty good, including this one below.

http://www.badgerbushcraft.com/kit-tried-a-tested/the-frontier-stove-by-camping-solutions-review.htm
Thats a great review with plenty good photos. I'm liking this stove more and more. Thanks Chubbs.

as good as it looks, and I love the little water heater, which has given me ideas for my own, I'd say look for something cheaper and sturdier if its to be left in situ, ie a caravan, as these are really made light for transport reasons, you see plenty of stoves made from old gas bottles on the internet, which in a static position would give you in my opinion a longer usage time, I picked this up from e bay for around £40, the roof flange was home made from leather, and easy to light, once going it kicks out heat at around 500 degrees F, looking forward to our glamping trip next month

http://youtu.be/3UHb30FZw9k

yeah, I have a chimnea made with a big gas bottle and some 4" x 9mm wall thickness pipe "aquired" from work and its a blinder....
I'm just thinking of the multipurpose...ness of having a lightweight stove thats sturdy enough to be used long term too.

Tony1948
15-10-2013, 01:29 PM
I think Ashley's got one our benefactor ask him.

shepherd
15-10-2013, 02:31 PM
reason i thought the frontier stove would be good for my caravan is purely because of its weight... if i went any heavier id be in a position when id have to be very careful when i placed it i.e. over axles etc, and would have to be a permanent fixture.. with this little guy i can simply pack it away and make some kind of removable cover for the chimney on the roof.. and its so light i can choose where it goes.. that was my thinking anyway... i could be very wrong of course!

Fraser
16-10-2013, 06:01 AM
Yes, it's weight is a major factor in my reasons for being interested in the stove. Light enough to be picked up, folded away and taken away, but sturdy enough and big enough to live somewhere semi permanent and it looks good too. I just hope it is sturdy enough to last a while.

jus_young
16-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Don't forget how this stove came into existence. It was developed for humanitarian relief and gets shipped out with Shelter Boxes after natural disasters for families that pretty much lost everything. There are stoves being used today that were shipped out years ago. And they are still going strong providing hearing and a way of cooking.

When I finally get to build the man cave at the end of the garden, one of these will definitely be going in.

Fraser
16-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Good point, i didn't think of that. They must be pretty robust. number 2 on my list of new toys I think..... after one of Mark's beautiful knives.

Proventurer
16-10-2013, 07:20 AM
I fancy this ..... http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/frontier-stove---your-own-portable-stove--wood-burner-10404-p.asp
I know it's a bit OTT but for a long camp with truck and tents I thought it seemed a good option. I also thought it would be a good adition to my workshop. Any thoughts lads and lasses?

Fraser this is a good bit of kit mate, so much so, I brought one out to South Africa when I was importing some other gear, it becomes the centre piece of your camp when you have all the bells and whistles with you, vehicle, large tent etc.
It is indespensable at breakfast time and great to have a kettle (or whatever) of hot water going all day long.
Well worth the investment!

Fraser
16-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Fraser this is a good bit of kit mate, so much so, I brought one out to South Africa when I was importing some other gear, it becomes the centre piece of your camp when you have all the bells and whistles with you, vehicle, large tent etc.
It is indespensable at breakfast time and great to have a kettle (or whatever) of hot water going all day long.
Well worth the investment!

Thanks for the info mate T^

shepherd
16-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Good point, i didn't think of that. They must be pretty robust. number 2 on my list of new toys I think..... after one of Mark's beautiful knives.

haha we have the same wishlist mate!

watatoad
19-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Heard some good reports of it from a couple of blokes that have them. Certainly never heard anything to their detriment.

robmac
13-12-2013, 11:08 AM
I have one of these, and although I haven't used it yet, I would say that they are very well made and get excellent reviews. Mine will get it's debut in January when I am doing a boating/Tipi trip to either Loch Lomond or Loch Awe, not decided yet.
I would say though, that they probably wouldn't be best suited to a caravan because of the floor space they would take up due to the tripod configuration of the legs. I would suggest a square stove with short legs such as the Windy Smithy range, unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive.

fish
13-12-2013, 11:46 AM
good price for what it is,would fit nice in a shed too!

midas
03-01-2014, 03:56 PM
I use an "Martin-Iron-Art" Rocket Stove to keep fire of the ground etc.But he also makes a log burner for around £140.its a little boxier than the one uve featured,.You could always make one up based on an ammo box.(tho they are hard to come by at mo)there an articicle in this months BASS no 48.