PDA

View Full Version : Folding saws

happybonzo
29-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Most of us will know of the Silky range of folding saws. The only thing wrong with them is the price
I have been using a Wilkinson, the larger model, for Coppice work for the last 3 years. It is different to the Bahcos, Silkys etc in that the blade retracts rather than folds. The blades are very very sharp and seem to hold their edge extremely well. When I've looked at the blade it looks terribly similar to my smaller Silky (that some-one borrowed and failed to return)
The blade is pushed out and locked in place with a knurled plastic "nut" I have never had one push back except when I failed to tighten it properly.
Like the Silkys, Gerbers, Bahcos, this is a "pull" saw. If you are not used to "pull" saws then does take some getting used to.
There is a clip belt hanger provided and this is the only bad part of the bit of kit. You offer the saw up and then turn it through 180 degrees. This holder only slips onto the belt, It is like a "U" shape and is inclined to slip off. If you buy one of these saws I suggest that you make a canvas holster for it to drop into.
Some words for the safety aspect on all these Draw saws: They are really sharp. If you cut yourself it will take a long time to heal and generally will involve major tissue damage that will require proper stitches-not butterfly stitches or Super Glue. So wear a decent leather glove on your free hand.
Saw LINK (http://www.leekes.co.uk/invt/177394?utm_source=FPCJPlatform&utm_medium=Outdoors&utm_campaign=177394&source=113_56)

GaryBeaner
29-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Hiya Bonzo,
I'm currently using a Wilkinson folding pruning saw £11.99 from Robert Dyas, and I have to say I agree with you. A perfectly good saw, cuts quickly and easily, doesn't cost an arm and a leg(unless you're careless). OK it may not have the sexiest name or reputation in the Bushcraft world but for the extra change left in my pocket I'm quite happy to put up with a couple of extra ounces it may weigh. Having used one regularly I'd recommend it!

Fletching
29-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm a trendy Bahco user ;) but having had my hands on a few SOG knives, I reckon their saw would probably be a good value solid carbon-bladed saw as well:

http://sogknives.com/store/F10.html

and (UK):

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Sog-Knives/SOG-Knives-Folding-Saw/p-92-103-5798/

Steve

jbrown14
30-01-2011, 03:18 AM
You would be right about that SOG saw, Fletching.

I've had a couple of cheap folding saws in the past, and especially in green or wet wood, the blade would tend to bind up just at the point when I was on the push stroke, it would flex, and snap. I bought myself the SOG F-10 a couple of months ago, and one week ago today I finally had the opportunity to use it somewhere beside my backyard (Got out for a short showshoe jaunt in the Adirondack Park.)

First impresson is the overall length. It's several inches longer than the other portable saws I've used in the past so it feels like a real saw. The blade is thinner, but more flexible than the other saws I had also. It's approaching the thinness of a good woodworking saw, like a rip or crosscut saw, but not as thin as a japanese saw like a ryobi or dozuki.

It has a great, rubber grip that your hand will not slip on. I like the fact that the blade locks in both the open and closed positions, and it takes a good push with your thumb to unlock it. Easy with gloved or not gloved hands. (It was hovering around 0 degrees F when I was out snowshoeing.)

I zipped through a whole stack of deadfall to gather wood for a small fire and never had a problem with the blade binding (partly due to proper cutting technique, partly to the set of the teeth.) It's a smooth, aggressive cutter that is worth every penny in my book. I don't remember how much I paid, but I know it was less than $20 (USD) that's less than £13.

Josh

happybonzo
30-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Hiya Bonzo,
I'm quite happy to put up with a couple of extra ounces it may weigh.

I'm quite sure that my Wilkinson must weigh far less than the Silky went missing. Next time I'm over at Chainsaws R Us I'll try and weigh a Silky.

luresalive
30-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I've started using the ones out of Lidl for £2.99, they seem to be every bit as good as a lapplander at a fraction of the price. I'm really trying to get away from all this in vogue must have kit..never had it as a kid and shouldn't really need it now.

mark
06-02-2011, 08:57 AM
i'v got a B&Q 7'' folding, never done me wrong for a cost of £ 4.00

Ashley Cawley
06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I used the Bahco 396 Lap Laplander Folding Saw which I picked up for cheap from Amazon years ago when they had a deal on, think it was about £8.

Still using it years later :)

Notredame11211
07-02-2011, 03:56 AM
I've started using the ones out of Lidl for £2.99, they seem to be every bit as good as a lapplander at a fraction of the price. I'm really trying to get away from all this in vogue must have kit..never had it as a kid and shouldn't really need it now.

I completely agree, I have been using a $9 Coghlans saw and it has served me well.
http://www.coghlans.com/products/sierra-saw-8400

garethw
07-02-2011, 07:52 AM
I've got a Bahco saw, its not the Laplander but is a 396. I like the fact there is some orange on the handle so when I put it down I don't lose it. Its so easy to lose green or camo stuf in dead leaves or long grass.
cheers
Gareth

fish
08-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm a trendy Bahco user ;) but having had my hands on a few SOG knives, I reckon their saw would probably be a good value solid carbon-bladed saw as well:

http://sogknives.com/store/F10.html

and (UK):

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Sog-Knives/SOG-Knives-Folding-Saw/p-92-103-5798/

Steve

i read this thread and baught the SOG one,it is in my oppinion no where near as good as the laplander,i am very disapointed with it ,if it hadnt cost 20 quid ide bin it!
the main problems are these:
1) the teeth are too fine and so clog with sawdust from green wood.
2) the teeth being fine do not realy rip into wood as the laplander does.
3) the locking mechanism is positioned on top and if your hand slips/works forwards in use the switch is easily depressed and the blade folds upwards,this is a major design flaw.

since my brattish kids lost my laplander i have been using a lidles £2.99 folding saw ,and i can say in all honestly is is more fit for purpose than the £19.99 SOD saw.
now ime off to order a laplander like i should have in the first place!

Martin
08-02-2011, 09:13 PM
...now ime off to order a laplander like i should have in the first place!

Kit Queen!! :p

Martin

fish
08-02-2011, 09:16 PM
not realy mate ,i just want one that i know works! ive been very busy cutting hazel and ash staves for stick making this week and need a good durable cutter that cuts with as little fuss as possible.

MikeWilkinson
24-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I found this on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOODEN-HANDLE-10%22-FOLDING-PRUNING-SAW-STEEL-BLADE-*NEW*_W0QQitemZ160519221776QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=2 13269294404&rvr_id=213269294404&cguid=7c2ef51d12d0a0aad3761a86ffd9c655

It has served me well the past 6mnths, can always get a new blade from laplander or bahco and re-fit it, though I Haven't seen the need.

Bambii
24-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Does anyone use bucksaw's?

jbrown14
25-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Too bad about the SOG, Fish, I've only cut downed, dead wood with mine, and it zipped right through it. I can see that the teeth might clog up a bit in green wood, if and when I try that out. The only wood I cut when out on a bimble (my new favorite word to describe hiking) is for the fire, and that's as I said, downed, dead stuff, so I'm generally not cutting green wood at all, unless I'm pruning something in the garden, and then it's just a pair of bypass trimmers that I use.

To answer Bambii, I've carried a bucksaw on a couple of winter outings (before I got my SOG) in order to cut up some larger firewood and stockpile quicker.

OKBushcraft
24-03-2011, 01:47 AM
I have used a Gerber folder for about 10 years. It worked great for nearly 7 years before the mechanism meesed up in the hinge/lock. I'd say it worked well passed it's intended life.
I actually bought a $2 Fiskars sliding saw at the tractor store. Used it tonight to cut garden stakes. It did OK on green soft maple. Jury is still out.
I would like to try a Lap saw sometime to see if it would be worth the cost.
Need to locate some good bow saw blades to make a buck saw. All I can find are cheapo chinese blades.

paul standley
24-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I love my Laplander. I'm not into 'designer kit' labels at all but I got my Laplander saw off Amazon a year ago for £13 delivered and was impressed with the price and the saw.

klause
24-03-2011, 08:36 PM
I too have bought the Bahco 396 Lap Laplander, after all the reviews on here so thanks, (£13-Amazon with free delivery) still waiting for it to arrive. I already own a Silky Gomtaro which is extremely good but won't exactly fit in my pocket (it does fit down the inside of my day pack with ease) i would highly recommend this saw to anyone who is looking for a fixed blade saw.

Kiltie
24-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Does anyone use bucksaw's?

although I have looked at it many times my 'hard earned' seems to find other routes, but I'm determined one day to buy it

http://www.nwwoodsman.com/Product/Tools/EdgedTools/WoodsmanFoldingBucksaw.html

MikeWilkinson
24-03-2011, 09:09 PM
You don't buy a bucksaw, you make one, you just buy the blade.

ether
24-03-2011, 10:12 PM
think i might get a laplander at some some point, as some people have mentioned they are actually cheap as chips, £13 from amazon. Some of the bushcraft kit is proper expensive, premium tarps for 80 odd quid, knives for hundreds of pounds. the laplander is an absolute bargain compared to these

Bushmaster95
28-03-2011, 11:39 PM
I used the Bahco 396 Lap Laplander Folding Saw which I picked up for cheap from Amazon years ago when they had a deal on, think it was about £8.

Still using it years later :)

I agree! the Bacho laplander is by far the best on the market for value and durability. truly is a tool for life!

klause
29-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Got my Laplander the other day and went straight into the garden with it (pruning for the hell of it) it works well for a £12 folding saw...can't grumble, it will make a good addition to my kit..

OKBushcraft
29-03-2011, 02:29 AM
I have my dad's bucksaw he made when I was really young. Going to use it as part of my pattern for when I can find some good blades.

Not sure if anyone has posted a how to on making a buck saw, I have seen some how to's on another bushcraft sight, how about the talented folks on this site do a Bucksaw How To?????
Many great ideas out there.

RobbC
29-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Not sure if anyone has posted a how to on making a buck saw, I have seen some how to's on another bushcraft sight, how about the talented folks on this site do a Bucksaw How To?????
In a couple of weeks im gona try making my own bucksaw, so if all goes well i shall do a how to on it

Robb

Realbark
29-03-2011, 07:59 AM
In a couple of weeks im gona try making my own bucksaw, so if all goes well i shall do a how to on it

Robb

Let us know if dosent go well as well - and why. Good luck with it tho!

RobbC
29-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Let us know if dosent go well as well - and why. Good luck with it tho!
Great idea Realbark, will do.

Robb

leon-1
29-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I have used and made Bucksaws in the past, they're very good.

I asked an old Canadian friend if he would carry a folding saw, he said "Yeah, it makes it easier to make a bucksaw / packsaw".

If you make a Bucksaw use your forearm as a measuring stick, elbow to wrist as the uprights and elbow to fingertips for the cross member (if you're using a "Y" shaped stick you may have to cut one of the limbs a little shorter). This works quite well for me on a 21" bow saw blade.

Although I have a Laplander I really use an Opinel saw the majority of the time, I have both the 12 and the 18 and am more than happy with them.

Wood_Wose
30-01-2012, 02:11 PM
I had no idea a Bahco Laplander was a designer item, my mrs bought me one for xmas, I've used it to cut anything from the thickness of my thumb to my forearm in both green and dead wood, worked a treat on all combinations. I love the safety catch feature which allows locking in both open and closed positions and general sturdiness and ergonomics of the whole product...... is £11.50 really expensive? for something that cuts with ease and feels like it would last a lifetime!

CanadianMike
30-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Add in you can buy replacement blades.....

I like my bowsaw for larger cuts, but I do find it bulky, will give a new blade a try and see about either making a folding frame, or just figure a way to make a handle for when I need one.

Al21
30-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Another Laplander fan here, like others I can't see how an £11.50 tag makes them Gucci kit. To be honest it's the first folder to come close to my old Sandvik folder bought in the 80's. I've had a couple of Stihl folders too, pretty good but pull cutters which I'm not fond of. I'm a gardener by trade so get some use from pruning kit.

I've had plans for a bucksaw for a couple of years now, but if I'm really going to need the extra cutting power then I'll bung a bow saw in the boat and be done with it so the plans have only been looked at.

Al

Primerib
30-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I've now read through this saw-thread and I' missing a product which is very popular here in Germany and I enjoy very much! It's the fiskars retractable hand saw...okay okay I'm sorta breaking the rules as it is not a FOLDING-saw but I believe that it should not remain unmentioned. I found a short review to this (http://lost-in-england.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-fiskars-retractable-hand-saw.html) saw which reflects my opinion very well! I use it a lot when going fishing and branches block my casting. I drilled a little loophole at the back and shockcord lanyard so i can work over water without having to worry 'bout dropping it. With 90 gr it should be one of the lightest on the market. It is very handy and tucks away practically anywhere. The teeth are extremely sharp and even 6cm thick branches are usually done with in 3 pulls. Thicker branches are also no problem. It might not be the cheapest...I believe around 22€ in a hardware store here in germany but i guess it is worth it. I have to say i do not have any comparison to other products but as long as nothing else beats it - it remains my favorite! Nobody else had their hands on this one?!? :confused2:

paul standley
30-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I just lost my Laplander last week whilst hedgelaying and I'm gutted...!

Great saw, very sturdy and cuts well BUT.... It's got a black blade and a dark green handle so dropping it without realising and then trying to find it afterwards is pretty dam impossible...!

Decided I'd replace it with a Lidl or Wilkinsons shop folder and see how they perform.

CanadianMike
30-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Only one I was able to buy locally came with the orange handle......... which works well because I have a lot of OD clothing and such, last thing i want is to lose it in a pocket......... ;)

jus_young
30-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I use a fiskar folder http://eng-uk.fiskars.com/Products/Wood-Preparation/Saws/123710-SoftGrip-Folding-Saw

Does the job, locks open and closed and the orange coloured bits means I am less likely to lose it.

wescobts
30-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I use one of the more inexpensive Gerber saws, and it works fine. If i was going out for extended periods of time perhaps i would look into something more sturdy.

paul standley
31-01-2012, 08:15 PM
I just lost my Laplander last week whilst hedgelaying and I'm gutted...!

Great saw, very sturdy and cuts well BUT.... It's got a black blade and a dark green handle so dropping it without realising and then trying to find it afterwards is pretty dam impossible...!

Decided I'd replace it with a Lidl or Wilkinsons shop folder and see how they perform.

OK, so today I bought a folding saw from the Pound shop...! - for £1 it's pretty good really, here's a couple of pics...

It's not even in the same school as a Laplander never mind the same class but for occassional bushcraft use It's got to be worth a pound...!

Wood_Wose
01-02-2012, 12:21 PM
looks like a promising buy paul.... especially for a pound!

tadpole
01-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I bought my laplander £13 with free P&P from Amazon 5 years ago, and have used it quite a lot, everthing from cutting 5" wet Ash logs for a log burner to sawing up 4 scaffold planks to make raised terraces on my mini Allotment(this weekend) , Still cutting, still doing the job I bought it for.

Kernowek Scouser
15-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Heads up for the Budget Bushcrafters

Lidl are doing folding saws again... and they come with a 2 Year Warranty

Folding Garden Saw
£ 2.99
http://www.lidl.co.uk/static_content/lidl_uk/images/UK/UK_58914_01_b.jpg

-Robust carbon steel blade with triple-ground hardened teeth
-Comfortable slip-resistant soft-grip handle
-Blade safety lock to prevent accidental folding/unfolding
-Practical hanging loop
-Can also be used on PVC pipes
-Blade length approx. (cm): 17
-Max. cutting length (cm): 15
-2 year manufacturer’s warranty

This looks a bit more robust than the Poundland Pruning Saw (http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/pruning-saw/) I recently purchased, so I might have to get one of these too :D

paul standley
15-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Believe it or not, I have been using the Poundland saw for some old hazel coppicing recently and has stood up well to the task....!
OK, it's not going to last very long doing that sort of work but for occassional bushcraft use I'd say it's worth a space in your kit if your on a budget.

Bambii
16-03-2012, 05:58 AM
I don't own a folding saw but i have a silky zubat. Best thing ever :D rips through wood.