PDA

View Full Version : Leather Pouch

David_JAFO
26-09-2013, 06:15 PM
hello,
A friend of mine resourced some quality leather in the past few months for her craft hobby. I asked if she could make me a pouch to hold my fire lighting kit from any off cuts/left over. A photo from a similar design was resourced as a very rough template, worked around the tobacco tin for size, so my friend set about to work on the pouch. The end product completed last week, IMO what can I say? is as near to the original design, 150mm Height 120mm Width holds both the steel striker, tobacco tin with tinder & pieces of flint, neatly finished off with the draw cord, there's two types of draw cord ones leather other is jute twist both excellent finishes. The leather I think was procured from a saddlers who supplies to their craft shop hobby? I'm well pleased to say the least with the over all finish :wink:
Regards
David

ian c
26-09-2013, 06:21 PM
That is a nice looking pouch.

Stamp
26-09-2013, 07:31 PM
That's great, lovely pouch.

Peaks
26-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Nice work

BJ
26-09-2013, 07:39 PM
T^

Silverback
26-09-2013, 07:44 PM
nice

OakAshandThorn
26-09-2013, 08:05 PM
T^ That's a dandy pouch and well constructed ;).

Sar-ian
26-09-2013, 10:51 PM
T^:jumping-joy:

Likantropo
27-09-2013, 01:41 AM
Enjoy it, David!

Best wishes.

T^

David_JAFO
27-09-2013, 11:55 AM
hello,
Thanks for the replies. It's as close to the original image guide as said. The draw cord my friend added 'alternative'
a small length of Jute cord, it was suggested for closure a small piece of crafted antler could be used as a
toggle? I'm very pleased with the over all finish anyway. BTW there's extra room inside once the tin is in
place for a fire stick & striker.
Regards
David

T^ That's a dandy pouch and well constructed ;).

shepherd
28-09-2013, 11:15 AM
really nice pouch...been trying to blag some leather for months... with no luck.. the search continues! lol

David_JAFO
28-09-2013, 02:24 PM
hello,
Sorry I can't help you this time, the swatch obtained, I blagged the off cuts from a project, cost me a bar lunch for the excellent craftwork that was put into the pouch construction. I'll keep you in mind next time there's any leather going ok? :wink:
Regards
David

shepherd
28-09-2013, 04:57 PM
appreciate that mate! im just too tight to buy a big roll as iv not done any leather work before so imagine ill waste it!

David_JAFO
29-09-2013, 11:08 AM
hello,
No problem I'd share the leather no problem. My mate she was working with such on another project & as there was some off cuts, why let it go to waste? As said I'll keep you in mind next time :wink:
Regards
David

appreciate that mate! im just too tight to buy a big roll as iv not done any leather work before so imagine ill waste it!

Peaks
29-09-2013, 11:14 AM
The Identity Store do bags of off cuts for £15 depending on weight. http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/

Also try any upholsterers for scrap leather that has been stripped off prior to recovering, or keep an eye on your local recycling centre- leather sofas or cushions are often seen + can be blagged.

Charity shops often have leather handbags or leather jackets which can be utilised for projects.

Theres usually plenty of leather in these items for small projects like pouches, phone covers etc.

shepherd
29-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Charity shops often have leather handbags or leather jackets which can be utilised for projects.

never considered that sort of thing. great idea..

and thanks david!

Peaks
29-09-2013, 12:08 PM
No prob.
Old pre used leather has a feel and patina which can really make something feel + look special.

David_JAFO
29-09-2013, 08:11 PM
hello,
Nice one Peaks T.Y for sharing :wink:
Regards
David
T^

Peaks
29-09-2013, 08:32 PM
No prob......

Rasputin
30-09-2013, 09:56 AM
never considered that sort of thing. great idea..

and thanks david! OR get out the guns, bag yerself an old leather chair and skin it. Dont recommend eating the carcass though, they are a bit woody and rubbery, lol. How ya doin Shep ? thought you might of got down to the Ruthin meet, Ken :evilgrin:

Rasputin
30-09-2013, 10:00 AM

You were once compared to a ducks bum, pmsl :jumping-joy: :evilgrin: Sos Shep sometimes I just cant help mesen

shepherd
30-09-2013, 11:28 AM
OR get out the guns, bag yerself an old leather chair and skin it. Dont recommend eating the carcass though, they are a bit woody and rubbery, lol. How ya doin Shep ? thought you might of got down to the Ruthin meet, Ken :evilgrin:

haha, chair hunting... i like it... im doing good bro.. i was due to come down but my boss decided to book a last minute deal thus would appear his hoplidays are more important than mine!

shepherd
30-09-2013, 11:28 AM
You were once compared to a ducks bum, pmsl :jumping-joy: :evilgrin: Sos Shep sometimes I just cant help mesen

im from yorkshire... its bred into me!

David_JAFO
06-05-2016, 06:29 PM
hello,
Bump.. :p I've had another pouch made & have been gifted a awesome deer hide FSK pouch from a Bushcrafter in the States. I'm looking for suggestions for a stamp/emboss my mark on the pouch. I was enquiring earlier via my craft shop buddies & suggested maybe adding a small sew on leather patch Bushcraft orientated? hmm.. I like the idea of embossing a Bushcraft mark any suggestions to where I could find a kit or does anyone on the forum make such stamps or maybe a similar suggestion a small leather fob that could be slipped onto the draw cord leather with a Bushcraft motif?
Regards
David

Peaks
07-05-2016, 07:06 AM
Plenty of leather stamping tools/designs available from here - http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/products.asp?SubCatID=173.
No affiliation, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Depending on how the leather has been tanned, it might not take a stamp easily. A patch or fob might be your best bet? I'm rubbish at leather carving/embossing, but bet theres some very talented folks on here or in your contacts who could do something for you?

David_JAFO
07-05-2016, 01:38 PM
hello Peaks,
Thanks for the Identity Store link.
Regards
David
T^