PDA

View Full Version : iPhone native

Paul Webster
27-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Have you thought about using tapatalk? I believe it's a free plugin for forum admins, the cost is picked up by individual users who download the app from apple. I mainly browse the net from my iPhone, not sure how many other forum members use one too?

Martin
27-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I believe someone else mentioned this the other day. What exactly does this application do? And what would it offer the forum or the user?

Martin

resnikov
27-01-2011, 11:22 AM
I mentioned it here (http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?279-Tapatalk), the app allows you to use the fourms from your smart phone, it renders them for it so its readable and user friendly.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

It works for most smart phone, iPhone, Android, WIn7 etc.

Paul Webster
27-01-2011, 12:21 PM
That's exactly what it does, and as I mentioned I believe it's free for the forum manager. The end users pick up the price of the app from their respective stores. I.e. I bought it from the app store for £1.79.

Martin
27-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Looks pretty good, so if Ash does decide to go with it I may be persuaded to part with my £2 to try this out.

Martin

resnikov
27-01-2011, 12:32 PM
There is a free version for the end user it has some limitations on it but cannot remember what they are.

Grab the free version and have a look at BCUK, they run it on there site so you can see what its like.

Martin
27-01-2011, 12:33 PM
There is a free version for the end user it has some limitations on it but cannot remember what they are.

For Android?? I didn't see it in the Android Market.

Martin

resnikov
27-01-2011, 12:43 PM
There used to be, had it on my G1 so it should run on most things. Maybe they pulled it and only have the full version.

Martin
27-01-2011, 12:50 PM
There used to be, had it on my G1 so it should run on most things. Maybe they pulled it and only have the full version.

More than likely the case then. Anyway, browsing the NBC Forum on my phone is a bit of a pain and the mod tools don't really work so if it's better I'd be prepared to invest a few bob on it.

Sadly, I don't inhabit the land of the geeks so I'm not qualified to comment on how well it would integrate with our version of the forum software.

Martin

Ashley Cawley
31-01-2011, 01:30 PM
So far I've used the forum flawless from a iPod Touch, I assume it'll be the same on a iPhone.

As for Tapatalk, I've seen about it & read a little but not actually seen it's interface yet, I did notice that when I went to BCUK's forum it took me away from the forum itself and to the AppStore encouraging me to pay £2 for an App - to be honest that's not something I'd like to implement because of that alone. I've seen other people use this forum fine from Mobile devices and seeing as vBulletin is fairly good for using good web standards & layout I should more and more mobile-devices as they develop will handle the forum better and better.

Ok, I've just watched a video so I could take a look at the interface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKf9KrBUJdk

Looks interesting, I'll take a look (when I get a chance) to see how much work it is to install our server.

Paul Webster
31-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I meant to show it to you on Sunday but it totally slipped my mind. I use quite a few forums via tapatalk, you only get that prompt when you first open a forum. It says something like this forum has a native version, do you want to use it.

It does make it allot easier on a phone imo, of course I have no idea how much work it would require on your behalf.