PDA

View Full Version : Dremmels

comanighttrain
26-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Does anyone own/use these?

I was going to get one for random tasks... at about £40 im worried that itll work 3 times and then break though.

leon-1
26-01-2011, 01:45 PM
I have a cheap copy. I've been using it for little jobs for about the last seven years. It's been quite handy at times. One thing to be aware of is their spin speed, they work with a very rapid rotation so you can mess things up quite quickly if you get it wrong. Also make sure you have a decent set of safety glasses.

Ivan
26-01-2011, 02:41 PM
ive had a dremmel for years the only thing of any consequence ive done with it was a new house name plate in hardwood and it was easy to control and i was proud of the outcome ,good bit of kit but has sat in the shed eversince. if you ever come down my way you can have mine free

CanadianMike
26-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I've been regularly using a Dremel since about 1995 and love them, so useful!

bigstan
26-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I bought a cheap copy one years ago from Focus. I have used it for laods of projects, drilling small holes in leather for stitching, polishing and fine cutting,engraveing, its use is only limited by its size. Dont use one for too long it causes white finger.

Kiltie
26-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Yep the cheap ones are as good as the branded ones-very usefull to have in your shed/garage/bushcraft testing facility :o

JEEP
26-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I have a cheap copy aswell, it has come in handy from time to time.

rusty31
14-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi,

I've had a dremmel for 2 years now- i used it to make knife handles - stacked leather, then micarta and two wood ones. I love the dremmel - its fab quality and just unbelievably precise and controllable.

That said, my mate saw my knife handles and decided to have a go - buying a cheap B&Q Power branded one - which burnt out on its first use - he then exchanged for a dremmel. 726

The other tip that i have, is that the dremmel accessories (sanding bands and cutting discs etc) are much better than the generic cheaper ones - so its worth buying the branded dremmel stuff.

Oh, and also, sometimes it is way faster to use a hacksaw etc, or a steel file for shaping things - but for precision you cant beat the dremmel.

Happy Dremmelling!

paul standley
14-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Aldi have one (non-branded) on offer from Thur this week (17th Feb) they also have accessories kit. £19 the two.

Link is here... http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week07Thursday11.htm