PDA

View Full Version : Bodmin Moor - October 2010

robin
26-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I have only just got around to uploading some photos of my weeklong, camera happy jaunt around Bodmin Moor during October 2010. If you are interested in seeing them click here (http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/October%202010/?start=all). They are sorted by the order in which I took them and I will get around to labelling them.

I had a wonderful time just wandering around and the weather for the most part was sunny and beautiful, but a little chilly at night.

robin

Ivan
26-01-2011, 03:03 PM
great photos robin the rabbit was my fave thought of supper as well as the cute aspect

JEEP
26-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Excellent photos!

What a beautiful place.

Martin
26-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Just goes to show how lucky we are to have such a beautiful place right on our doorstep. To think, we drive past all that on our way to places like Dartmoor.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Martin

zaphod
30-01-2011, 05:14 PM
These photos are fantastic, you've inspired me to visit the moor properly this year as it is only 20 mins away from me. Cheers for posting.

Ashley Cawley
06-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks for sharing some beautiful photography, thoroughly enjoyed watching it as a full-screen slideshow :)

And your right... we don't get to Bodmin moor enough chaps! - Something we'll have to remedy in 2011.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_dzoenG8Svds/TU8JJTLsYgI/AAAAAAABHUw/ghtC2s--Quk/s640/King%20of%20the%20Stones.JPG

Martin
06-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice picture Ash. Is that the Cheesewring?

Martin

Ashley Cawley
06-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice picture Ash. Is that the Cheesewring?

MartinNo, very close to it though!

This is the Cheesering:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_dzoenG8Svds/TU8JlEP3dPI/AAAAAAABHXQ/JIgvnP-fjrw/s640/Cheesewring%20%26%20Climber.JPG

JonnyP
06-02-2011, 09:00 PM
More time on Bodmin would be good. It has a lot to offer and only on our doorstep..

Nice photos there..
Esp liked this one..
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/October%202010/Picture035.jpg

Ashley Cawley
06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/October%202010/Picture119.jpg

IBrown
06-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm going to Bodmin on 14th Feb. Shame you didn't put the OS ref or a description of the places but still excellent pictures can't wait t'ill next week.
Thanks
Ian

robin
07-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Ian,
Over the next few days I'll get the OS map out and stick some labels and references onto the pictures. It was something I meant to do it after I put the images online but never got round to it. Enjoy your trip to Bodmin, are you going up on to the Moors? Definitely well worth it. I spend most of my life up there wandering around and it is full of interesting archaeological remains, I keep meaning to record everything I find using grid references, photos and write ups and I bought a 'bodminmoor' website address a year or two ago to do just that but as usual life got in the way... may be this year!
robin

Martin
07-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Hey Robin

How do you fancy a bit of a get together up on Bodmin Moor? Maybe show some of us, who are not so familiar with the place, the little gems you have so brilliantly captured in your photos.

Martin

IBrown
07-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Ian,
Over the next few days I'll get the OS map out and stick some labels and references onto the pictures. It was something I meant to do it after I put the images online but never got round to it. Enjoy your trip to Bodmin, are you going up on to the Moors? Definitely well worth it. I spend most of my life up there wandering around and it is full of interesting archaeological remains, I keep meaning to record everything I find using grid references, photos and write ups and I bought a 'bodminmoor' website address a year or two ago to do just that but as usual life got in the way... may be this year!
robin

Thanks Robin that would be helpful. I am taking the missus to Jamaica Inn on the Mon 14th Feb we plan to go to Dozmary on monday and relax at the Inn after a long drive down. Tuesday we plan to go for a walk to the Leskernick Hill there is a settlement there and then across to Brown Willy where we will stop for lunch. We are going to try the Wayfarer Food bag and my swiss army stove. Then back to the Inn to get changed for an evening meal somewhere. Haven't made up our minds yet but have had some suggestions from the forum. We were going to go to Blisland Inn but had no reviews on the place.
THanks again
Ian

Ashley Cawley
07-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey Robin

How do you fancy a bit of a get together up on Bodmin Moor? Maybe show some of us, who are not so familiar with the place, the little gems you have so brilliantly captured in your photos.

MartinI'd be up for that also :o you know me I'm no keen-hiker but I don't mind a doing a few K & then camp or a days bimble & pub-lunch somewhere perhaps.

robin
10-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Martin and Ashley,
I would be only to happy to plan a route and meet up with some of you. If you can give me some idea of length of time you wish to spend out, overnight or not, distance you are prepared to walk, whether a pub is a requirement, etc. I'll get to it and start to put together something of interest.
I will be away for the entirety of April as I've decided to Bivvy the Wicklow Mountains over in Ireland for a few weeks, my first big adventure to coincide with my fortieth birthday.
robin

robin
10-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Ian,
Sorry I haven't got round to referencing the photos yet but I will try to do so today and will post a message here when done.

Dozmary Pool is a special little place, steeped in myth, and I have heard it is most atmospheric when approached from the Browngelly Downs side rather from the normal roadside. I haven't walked it from the Downs so I cannot tell you how accessible it is from that direction.

Leskernick is one of my favourite hills on the moor, the old settlements are amazing and just down to the SE side are two stone circles and a hard to find cist. Leskernick is approachable from many directions but for me the best is to park at Bowithick, a beautiful place, and walk around Buttern Hill. Buttern has a lovely old quarry, two adits, cairns and a cist complete with it's lid. I used to go there as a child and recover bits of an old WWII Halifax which crashed into the summit. Leskernick to Brown Willy is not a route I have ever taken as it is full of marshes and narrow-ish but deep rivers and makes for difficult, if not impossible, walking at this time of year.

Blisland Inn is my favourite watering hole in the country, great landlord, great food made by cooks and not chefs, and a selection of ciders and real ales, some come from local micro-brewery's, and all of which are just amazing, highly recommended. It is 15 miles from where I live but I consider it my local and have tramped those 15 miles across the moors just for a pint. Have a great time and PM me if I can be of further help.

robin

JonnyP
10-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Martin and Ashley,
I would be only to happy to plan a route and meet up with some of you. If you can give me some idea of length of time you wish to spend out, overnight or not, distance you are prepared to walk, whether a pub is a requirement, etc. I'll get to it and start to put together something of interest.
I will be away for the entirety of April as I've decided to Bivvy the Wicklow Mountains over in Ireland for a few weeks, my first big adventure to coincide with my fortieth birthday.
robin

That sounds like a great adventure. I bet you are very excited about going.. Not at all jealous here.. :0/
I wanted to walk the Cape Wrath Trail for my fortieth.. I still have not done it.. :0( In the mean time, I would love to come and have a wander over the Moor.. You have painted a nice picture there, and that Inn sounds good..

robin
10-02-2011, 12:29 PM
All photos now OS grid referenced and what a job that was!!! If anyone wants latitude and longitude for Google Earth or Earth Tools for any particular picture then PM me and I'll reply as quick as possible. Just so people do not have to go back to the first page of the thread the slide show can be found by clicking here (http://s977.photobucket.com/albums/ae259/niborthgink/October%202010/?albumview=slideshow).

Martin
10-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Martin and Ashley,
robin

Thanks for the kind offer Robin. My idea of a nice walk is much different to the other Cornwall contingent ;). I'm quite happy with 20+ miles per day but I fear my younger friends prefer something in the 2 mile region. However, it would be great to meet up and have a couple of days on the moor. I'm tied up with Ten Tors training and then a Four Peaks Challenge until the middle of June but after that I'm totally free for a good old Bodmin blast.

Martin

IBrown
10-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Many thanks for the OS Ref and for the info on the moors. We have decided to go to Blisland Inn for our evening meal on Tuesday after your recommendation. Thanks again
Ian

Ashley Cawley
10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the kind offer Robin. My idea of a nice walk is much different to the other Cornwall contingent ;). I'm quite happy with 20+ miles per day but I fear my younger friends prefer something in the 2 mile region...Cheeky bugger - There's me keeping my hikes to just a few miles and acting all exhausted just to keep Martin feeling youthful! :p

I'd be up for whatever (day trip or overnight, pub or not)... perhaps we should just do a day-trip to start so we aren't waiting months for Martin become available?.. So fed up of him holding me up. ;)

Robin thanks for taking the time to do the grid-references, much appreciated.

Martin
10-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Cheeky bugger - There's me keeping my hikes to just a few miles and acting all exhausted just to keep Martin feeling youthful! :p

I'd be up for whatever (day trip or overnight, pub or not)... perhaps we should just do a day-trip to start so we aren't waiting months for Martin become available?.. So fed up of him holding me up. ;)

Robin thanks for taking the time to do the grid-references, much appreciated.

Now, everyone will notice that I never named you Ash, but you clearly have a guilty concience. Maybe it would be best just to do a gentle walk to start with, after all... :D

Martin

IBrown
11-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Oh dear, I think you hit a nerve Martin.

Martin
11-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Oh dear, I think you hit a nerve Martin.

I think you may be right Ian. ;)

Martin

robin
11-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Well guys if you decide amongst yourselves when you are all free then we can meet up for a nice "gentle walk" ;) on Bodmin Moor.

Ashley Cawley
11-02-2011, 05:28 PM
lol... yeah sure Robin ;)

Martin
11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
lol... yeah sure Robin ;)

Can you smell the fear??? ;)

Martin

robin
11-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I can, it's wafting up the coastline :evilgrin:

I'm sure you'll both agree that it is one of the problems with moorland, you think 'Oh that hill looks interesting' and 'It doesn't look far' but by the time you've navigated around the marshes, found some way through a couple of fences, managed to find the narrowest part of the river to jump across, you've walked bleedin miles.

I put together a route on google maps for someone on here today for when they visit the moor and google claims, in it's wisdom, that it's 7.14 miles, yeah right! By the time you've found a way around all the obstacles and visited all the 'interesting' places I've labeled I reckon it'll be closer to 14 miles.

swkieran
12-02-2011, 12:08 PM
i love bodmin moor its more baron than dartmoor i think,always enjoy my drive across te atlantic highway to stay in bude :),also went to lizard point last week very very beutiful place

Ashley Cawley
12-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Martin

Right, that's it, I'll bring two Cornish Wrestling Jackets also ;)

Martin
13-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Right, that's it, I'll bring two Cornish Wrestling Jackets also ;)

They won't help you walk any further. :rolleyes:

Martin

Ashley Cawley
13-02-2011, 03:37 PM
They won't help you walk any further. :rolleyes:

Martin

No... but after we've used them it'll stop you walking further than I :p

Martin
13-02-2011, 03:46 PM
No... but after we've used them it'll stop you walking further than I :p

You'll have to catch me first. :p

Martin

IBrown
13-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I can, it's wafting up the coastline :evilgrin:

I'm sure you'll both agree that it is one of the problems with moorland, you think 'Oh that hill looks interesting' and 'It doesn't look far' but by the time you've navigated around the marshes, found some way through a couple of fences, managed to find the narrowest part of the river to jump across, you've walked bleedin miles.

I put together a route on google maps for someone on here today for when they visit the moor and google claims, in it's wisdom, that it's 7.14 miles, yeah right! By the time you've found a way around all the obstacles and visited all the 'interesting' places I've labeled I reckon it'll be closer to 14 miles.

Your right Robin, I would say over 10 miles. I think your hard work may of been in vain looking at the weather forcast for the next couple of days. Never mind they are never right and it could be T-Shirt weather lol.. Many thanks for your help, hope to meet up with you tuesday night
Ian

robin
14-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Ian, I've spent the last two days up in that area looking for a missing dog and one thing I can definitely say is it is WET. Good luck if you do attempt it but I think you would better heading to Leskernick and Buttern and back or to Brown Willy and back. I wouldn't attempt the circuit unless you are both wearing waders :)

GlenM
14-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I have permission to camp with a small fire on the North West edge of Bodmin Moor (The best bit IMHO) A friend of mine has the farm at the foot of brown Willy. If you guys are thinking of a visit then give me some details and I can have a word with him. I would love to come of course, I spend at lot of time on the moor with it being so close. I believe someone said before on this thread that it seems more remote than Dartmoor even though it's considerably smaller, I completely agree with that. There's a real feeling of isolation on various parts that I never seem to get on Dartmoor. Loads of roe deer around at the moment aswell.

Glen

robin
14-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Glen that's great, thank you for the offer, if we decide to camp out overnight we are going to need somewhere legitimate. The derelict farm house in my photos is actually on the private land that belongs to Fernacre at the bottom of Brown Willy. Due to insurance reasons they do not allow camping there which is a shame as it is a beautiful spot. Camping on the moors is an issue as it is not allowed on the private or common land. I am lucky to know some tenants over by De Lank waterworks so I can use their land when required, they also have on their land the only two beehive huts I know of in North Cornwall as well as a good stone circle which is generally inaccessible to the public. Their landlord, I've just discovered, owns a huge chunk of the moors so I'm going to have to go and have a word with them in regards to permissive camping.

Just a thought Glen but if you, or anyone else reading this, are in or around the moor could you keep an eye out for a brown and white springer/collie cross that goes by the name of Oscar. He went missing on Monday 7th from the Garrow Tor area and though we have been out scouring the moors everyday we have yet to find him.

GlenM
15-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Robin I will keep a look out, probably going up there this weekend as my eldest son lost his phone last Sunday. Just an idea but it would pay to ask at the Old Inn in St. Breward you can't beat asking the locals, I'll have a word with my mate Steve aswell.

Glen

robin
15-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Thank you Glen. Yes been to the inns/pubs at St. Breward, Blisland, St Tudy, St. Mabyn, Altarnun and others. Police know, Dog Wardens know, adverts gone out on Pirate FM and Radio Cornwall, fly posted the area, told the hunt and every farmer and dog walker we've come across in our search. But the more people know the more eyes will be looking. Thanks again.
robn

IBrown
16-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Ian, I've spent the last two days up in that area looking for a missing dog and one thing I can definitely say is it is WET. Good luck if you do attempt it but I think you would better heading to Leskernick and Buttern and back or to Brown Willy and back. I wouldn't attempt the circuit unless you are both wearing waders :)

Just got home, sorry to here about your dog Robin, hope you find him soon. The weather was terrible the last 2 days we didn't venture out on the moors. Went to Wadebridge to go to the Army Surplus store picked up some nice Austrian Wool Jumpers and a Jacket. Then onto Bude to see the sea, thats it. Didn't get to go out in the evenings, wind and rain to bad even to drive. Will have to come back later in the year and try again.

Regards
Ian

robin
19-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Ian, it would seem that you had a typical introduction to the Cornish Weather System :) It's a shame you didn't get up on the moors but glad to hear you visited the Bunker (a great store) and managed to pick up some cheap meths over at Trago. If you do visit again later in the year drop us a PM and we'll meet up for a jar or two.

Robin

IBrown
19-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Robin. If you are going to the Cornwall RV will see you there
Thanks again
Ian

beechnut mick
05-03-2011, 06:08 AM
stunning character to the place