PDA

View Full Version : Tesco's selling Jews Ears Fungi!!

AdrianRose
08-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Now that I've finally got my issues sorted out with uploading pics (thanks Ashley et al) I thought that you might be interested in this.

I saw this at Tesco's today and nearly passed out.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/09/ryda5age.jpg

Jews ears aka wood ears for sale at over £74 per kilo!!

I put this on twitter too and its been retweeted so many times now, it can't just be me that finds it insane.

Ade

Tony1948
09-09-2013, 12:01 AM
But also for you'r £74.75 you do get Clubcard points aswell Ade.:happy-clapping:

Geoff Dann
09-09-2013, 12:27 AM
[splittin' hairs]

Firstly, those aren't jew's ears. "Wood ear" is the common name of a related species with the latin name Auricularia polytricha. It grows in warmer climates, not in the UK. Not much difference from a culinary point of view though.

Secondly, they are dried. Have you ever tried drying Jew's ears? I have, and I can tell you that you have to pick a load of them before they'll weight 1kg dried. Reconstituted, 1kg of dried ones makes a lot of ear mushrooms.

[/splittin' hairs]

Nice to see them on sale though.

jus_young
09-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Can I just remind folk of the forum guidelines to be found in the 'intro' section, particularly the part relating to swearing and grawlixes!

AdrianRose
09-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Can I just remind folk of the forum guidelines to be found in the 'intro' section, particularly the part relating to swearing and grawlixes!

Sorry buddy did I swear?

Ade

ratcatcher
09-09-2013, 06:30 AM

as a new member and not wanting to break any rules, can someone highlight the "wrong bit" as Im sat here reading all these posts for about the fourth time and I cant see any swearing, as for grawlixes, as I dont know what that is, surely I can't be found to doing it???

Geoff Dann
09-09-2013, 07:12 AM
as a new member and not wanting to break any rules, can someone highlight the "wrong bit" as Im sat here reading all these posts for about the fourth time and I cant see any swearing, as for grawlixes, as I dont know what that is, surely I can't be found to doing it???

I suspect I'm the g**lty party here. ;-D

ratcatcher
09-09-2013, 07:18 AM
I suspect I'm the g**lty party here. ;-D

[splittin' hairs]

Firstly, those aren't jew's ears. "Wood ear" is the common name of a related species with the latin name Auricularia polytricha. It grows in warmer climates, not in the UK. Not much difference from a culinary point of view though.

Secondly, they are dried. Have you ever tried drying Jew's ears? I have, and I can tell you that you have to pick a load of them before they'll weight 1kg dried. Reconstituted, 1kg of dried ones makes a lot of ear mushrooms.

[/splittin' hairs]

ok, but still cant see any swearing, so are we talking grawlixes, whatever they are ?????????

jus_young
09-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Guilty bit was deleted and yes it was Geoff ;)

MadZ
09-09-2013, 08:18 AM
scandalous prices, really gets me that some people think they can charge this kind of money for some mushrooms seriously, i bet the farmer(s) dont see anywhere near that price for a tonne of them.

Ratcatcher, the reason you can see whats wrong here is because the post has been edited by a moderator, so if you see something like this "Last edited by Joe bloggs; Today at 06:16 AM." at the bottom left hand corner of the post, its been changed to fit the forum rules or because some one made a spelling mistake or similar.

cheers

Madz

Silverback
09-09-2013, 08:33 AM
...Mmmm supermarket cashing in.....personally I refuse to shop at tesco or any of the large chains and certainly wouldn't pay that for fungi....

_Matt_
09-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised they bothered to try and sell these of all things. I can't imagine many people having a use for them. They aren't exactly a choice edible! Very surprised indeed.

jcornelius6
09-09-2013, 04:18 PM
[splittin' hairs]

[/splittin' hairs]

When I google Auricularia polytricha and look at the German results I get Judas Ohr ( = jew ears ) and they sell it as Vitalpilz ( = Medical fungus ) for all kind of stuff...

When I look at the English results I get this...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auricularia_polytricha

Cloud ear fungus...

Strange indeed...

Bye,
Alex

Geoff Dann
09-09-2013, 04:30 PM
When I google Auricularia polytricha and look at the German results I get Judas Ohr ( = jew ears ) and they sell it as Vitalpilz ( = Medical fungus ) for all kind of stuff...

Cloud ear fungus...

Strange indeed...

Bye,
Alex

The German site has made the same mistake. Lots of people confused these two species. The Asian/tropical species is called "Cloud Ear" or "Wood Ear". The British/northern species is called "Jew's Ear", which is a direct translation of the latin name.

Geoff

jcornelius6
09-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I suspected something like that... ! :cool:

Bye,
Alex

JonnyP
09-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I reckon thats not too bad a price. As pointed out its dried and will weigh hardly anything, so a kilo of it will prolly be a huge great box full.

Ashley Cawley
10-09-2013, 06:18 AM
It sure looks like dried Jews Ear, I know it's not but looks similar. I've not heard much of wood ear before, not surprising I suppose if it doesn't grow here in the UK.

Thanks for the post Ade.

JEEP
10-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Cloud ear fungus...

Strange indeed...

Bye,
Alex

Judas Ohr means "ear of Judas" (the disciple who betrayed Christ) - not jew's ear. Jews ear in german would be "Jude Ohr". Therefore the confusion :)

shepherd
10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
this post makes me glad i eat very few mushrooms... id be skint.... haha... like sapper i dont shop at tesco so luckily im not regularly blown over by these kinds of prices!

Geoff Dann
10-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Judas Ohr means "ear of Judas" (the disciple who betrayed Christ) - not jew's ear. Jews ear in german would be "Jude Ohr". Therefore the confusion :)

"Judas' Ear" (Ear of Judas) is an archaic British name for this species. It got shortened to "Jew's Ear", because it is easier to say, presumably.

JEEP
10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
"Judas' Ear" (Ear of Judas) is an archaic British name for this species. It got shortened to "Jew's Ear", because it is easier to say, presumably.

That doesn't mean It's the same way in German ;)